Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell the difference in materials

How to tell the difference in materials

I have a bucket of wheel weight. A lot of different types.
    What is the way to tell lead from zinc or other materials

Boolit Master
    While labor intensive, nipping each with a side cutter is pretty reliable. It scores, it’s lead; it doesn’t, it’s not.

Some can separate by type or markings, but I’m not sure that’s as reliable.

Boolit Buddy

Zinc are usually marked with a Zn on them somewhere

When melting, bring the temp up slowly, or don't let it get above the temp. where Lead melts.

Zinc melts at a noticeably higher temp. A couple hundred degrees higher or so.
    Don't be bashful with stirring. Any stowaways you missed will float up to the top of the Lead.

You might want to keep the Zinc. As Lead gets harder and harder to find,
    Zinc is in the future for casting.
    There's youtube videos of guys that have already switched over to it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I look at each one and make a test cut on the questionable ones. After a while you develop a sense and feel for them. The Zinc usually have a Z or Zn on them and the steel have Fe on them. All other letters deal with either the makers name or the type wheel they were made for. Congratulations on the score!

Boolit Master

Spread them out and use a magnet to remove the iron weights first. That way you don't have as many to test. The magnet will pick up some of the smallest lead and zinc weights because of the steel clips, so you will need to check the small ones to be sure you don't throw away lead with the iron weights. Has been a while so I am not sure what size lead weights the magnet would pick up, but the were nearly an inch long.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Here is the link to the sticky on sorting WW.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Wheel-Weights

Moderator Emeritus

I use the snips. After awhile you can almost tell every time. Even checking what I think are every one, I still would end up with one or two that got by me. Watching your temp catches those.

Boolit Man
    I just sorted some for the first time a couple days ago. It was really simple, like mentioned above.
    I just used a large pair of wire cutters. I just pinched them at the ends and if you can dent them with the cutters, they are lead. The steel/zinc ones, I could not dent with the wire cutters.

After you've done a few, you might be able to sort a little faster by feeling the weight of one.

Zinc is something like 60% as heavy as the same size piece of Lead.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Identifying steel/Fe weights are easy. With some practice you can usually identify the zinc, but there are some which have the look of zink but the hand pruning nips said otherwise. So I nip everything except the steel.

I'm sure ratios are different by local and type of tire store/source, but my metal types average out to:
    steel 39%
    zinc 8%
    co lead 45%
    so lead 8%

percentages are by weight so in reality the percent by volume works out to much more "other than" lead, if that makes sense. Just an FYI for what to expect.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Wow thanks, I give ita go. Seems the pliers are the go to method. there are quite a few that are flat
    thanks again

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Wow thanks, I give ita go. Seems the pliers are the go to method. there are quite a few that are flat
    thanks again
    I would NOT think plyers will work for you. Some of those lead weights are much harder than most. You need a sharp edged tool. Hand pruning nips (like grandma uses for pruning roses n such) work pretty good and they are spring loaded and have comfortable grips. Though I can still generate a blister when doing a big batch. I probably should be wearing gloves. They are nasty dirty.
    Last edited by oley55; 12-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Drop them on the floor, one at a time, the lead has a dull sound, while zinc will ring. After sorting some, you will start to identify the different ones visually. Cutting them works, but it is slow and hard on the hands. Enjoy the journey.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    Drop them on the floor, one at a time, the lead has a dull sound, while zinc will ring. After sorting some, you will start to identify the different ones visually. Cutting them works, but it is slow and hard on the hands. Enjoy the journey.
    Hehe you must be young and still able to get up and down

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I would NOT think plyers will work for you. Some of those lead weights are much harder than most. You need a sharp edged tool. Hand pruning nips (like grandma uses for pruning roses n such) work pretty good and they are spring loaded and have comfortable grips. Though I can still generate a blister when doing a big batch. I probably should be wearing gloves. They are nasty dirty.
    I use a pair of cutters that electricians call dykes. I keep a dedicated pair at my sorting area. My hearing isn't good enough to do the drop thing.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes dykes..............not standard old slip-jaw Pliers! The dykes (diagonal wire cutters) are standard electrician tools and can be had at any big box lumber yard. I have at least 8 pair scattered around. I could not survive without them......and that is NOT cutting WW's!

I quit messing with COWW's over 3 years ago when 85% of them turned to zinkers!

Boolit Buddy

I sit down on a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down. Then stack two concrete blocks. Both should be sideways on top of each other. The finished side up. Pour your weights out on the ground and rub the like a piece of caulk across the block. The lead ones will drag along and wear down the end. The zinc and other materials will just skate across the block. With a little practice it goes fairly quick.

Thanks for the ideas tomorrow is the sortin day thanka again

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Thanks for the ideas tomorrow is the sortin day thanka again
    Good Luck! Hope a high % of them are lead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast