Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: You think this is zinc or some other type of contamination?

You think this is zinc or some other type of contamination?

Just saw this in the facebook marketplace. I've "smelted" quite a few wheel weights into ingots and never seen cratering like in these pics. Im not buying them so it's not really a concern. I just get curious sometimes and try to learn so thought I'd run it by the experts here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	293165

Boolit Master

That happens when you have new non stick muffin pans. Something gasses off and causes craters on the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    That happens when you have new non stick muffin pans. Something gasses off and causes craters on the bottom
    Oh ok thanks. Ive not used new pans, which would explain why Ive not run into it before.

I get that sometimes when pouring the first couple ingots in a cold pan. Please, no comments about the tinsel fairy. I am well aware of her.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    ^^^^correct^^^^ For my purposes and my OCD, I took a propane torch to my pans burning/cooking the coating and no more off gas cratering.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    ^^^^correct^^^^ For my purposes and my OCD, I took a propane torch to my pans burning/cooking the coating and no more off gas cratering.
    I did that to my pans. Avoid inhaling the fumes: I didn’t and was coughing for a week afterwards.

Boolit Master
    I put my last ones on the big meltuing burner for a bit then tolled them out tin the yard for a few weeks did a nice job of getting the coatig off and got a little surface rust on them they drop right out and i get none of the craters

Boolit Master
    Agreed that, in this case, a bit of rust is your friend.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with the others, thats just the non stick coating gassing off and causing voids. You might go back if the prices were fair.