Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Pile at the Estate Sale

Free Pile at the Estate Sale

You got to love it when they put out a box full of Handloader Magazines into the Free Pile at the local Estate Sale. About 50 issues from 1997 to 2006.

It's going to take some time to go through these with all the articles I want to read.

I was fortunate to be driving my truck as 10 pieces of 8' metal roofing were also free.

Cool.

If you look in the classified ads in the back, you might find the ad. for that $50. Army Jeep we have all
    heard about but have never been able to get our hands on.

No, wait. I think it always only ran in 'Field & Stream'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The end of auctions, rummage sales and estate sales are often worth hanging around until the official end. Most folks leave early and if the weather is bad the deals can really be had!

Chris

No joke, my uncle had old army jeeps. He bought pallets of jeep parts, put together a few. That was in Lacrosse WI +55 years ago.
    Last edited by pete501; 12-11-2021 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Went to an estate sale a few years ago and stayed till the end (through a couple of rain showers) and got a box lot including a Kuhnhausen Ruger SA manual and a Japanese Tasco 3x9 and some others stuff for $5. I bid on it for the manual and one of the helpers tossed in the scope just as it was going-going-sold

Boolit Master
    One of the few times I let the wife talk me into having a yard sale. I had some guy haggling with me over an item I wanted a dollar for. He offered me a quarter and I told him to take a hike. After the sale was over some of the items that made their way out for the trash I noticed the same SOB pull up and getting ready to go through the things he was unwilling to spend a dollar for in my trash. I ran him off with a ball bat! From that time on anything and heading to the trash got thoroughly destroyed first! Sometimes it’s just the principle of the matter!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    One of the few times I let the wife talk me into having a yard sale. I had some guy haggling with me over an item I wanted a dollar for. He offered me a quarter and I told him to take a hike. After the sale was over some of the items that made their way out for the trash I noticed the same SOB pull up and getting ready to go through the things he was unwilling to spend a dollar for in my trash. I ran him off with a ball bat! From that time on anything and heading to the trash got thoroughly destroyed first! Sometimes it’s just the principle of the matter!
    Yep...cheap SOBs don't get nothing. After haggling over something that is at give away prices anyway, I won't sell them anything.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master
    We had stacks of dishes in a moving sale and one guy offered us a pittance. As we were ending the sale he shows up with a **** eating smile and asks if we are ready to sell them.

I was ticked off...told him we were taking them to the Salvation Army Thrift store and he could buy them there. He got rather irritated...then argumentative. Told him to get off the property or I was calling the police.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    You might also find an ad for a Jivaro blowgun. Came from Provo Utah and were a must have item for the well equipped boy.

Well its not going to take me as long as I thought. I have gone through about ten issues. Not reading every article but plenty of interest features.

Moly coating had been offered in a commercial cast bullet. From the (1998) article moly coating seemed the answer lubeing and barrel leading. I even attempted to mix moly grease into my lube recipe. The moly coating kind of fell away of powder coating.

I havent seen the Jivaro blowgun, but I see many small gun related business card sized ads from across America. I wonder how many ae still in business today..

I had a down sizing sale before covid. 35 years plus of treasures, and the bottom feeders were trying. When they gave me a low ball, I went over to the active burn barrel and in it went. Also told them the local thrift store got this weekends treasures, and new items would be out next week." Do not wait to buy was my cry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    You might also find an ad for a Jivaro blowgun. Came from Provo Utah and were a must have item for the well equipped boy.
    I have an 8" Auca blowgun I brought out of the jungle in Ecuador. I flew and out on a grass strip in a Helio Courier. To get it out we had to tape it to the side of the airplane with strapping tape. I traded it's owner a good Swiss Army knife for it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I actually had 2 of those Jivaro blowguns! Great for lung development, and scary accurate. Used to make 'stunners' by mounting the orange ball on one end and the cone on the other. Neighborhood cats learned to stay away real fast!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

I thought low balling at yard sales was standard procedure.
    If you want to pay full price you can always shop at a retail store.
    I never was offended by a low ball offer.
    Just give them your lowest price.
    $.25 for a $1 item is better than tossing it in the trash.
    I though the idea of a yard sale was to get rid of unwanted items.
    I never stop at what I know is an ongoing yard sale.
    People that run them are not just trying to get rid of unwanted items but are, in a way, attempting to retail in the name of a yard sale.
    These people are the ones that seem to be most offended by low ball offers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I thought low balling at yard sales was standard procedure.
    If you want to pay full price you can always shop at a retail store.
    I never was offended by a low ball offer.
    Just give them your lowest price.
    $.25 for a $1 item is better than tossing it in the trash.
    I though the idea of a yard sale was to get rid of unwanted items.
    I never stop at what I know is an ongoing yard sale.
    People that run them are not just trying to get rid of unwanted items but are, in a way, attempting to retail in the name of a yard sale.
    These people are the ones that seem to be most offended by low ball offers.
    I'm not entirely on board with the whole low balling thing. When I hit the sales, it's pretty obvious when good folks have priced their stuff to sell and those that are in the retail business. If the price asked is priced at a few pennies on a dollar value, I will not insult them or myself by being a jerk and throwing a low ball at them. Sure I'll offer a bit less than asked, but not ridiculously so.

The same is true when I have the rare sale of my own. If I have already priced my items for way less than dirt cheap and some wanker comes up with some ridiculous low ball offer, I'm more likely to break the item in two and toss it in the schiff-can right there in front of them. Sure some dickering is expected, but there are limits to civilized commerce.

I guess it figures why I don't often have garage sales....
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Yep you guys who break the item or throw it in a burn barrel really show them low ball offers a thing or two.It’s called cutting off your nose to spite your face

Boolit Master

Out of respect for myself and the seller, I can’t try to weasel someone down on an already fair price. It would embarrass me.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Went to an estate sale about 2 months ago and was able to pick up a Stihl leaf blower and weedeater for 60 bucks.
    Turned around and sold just the weedeater for 150.00 to a gent in the grass cutting business. He was happy to get it for that price.

Boolit Man
    My best deal was a dillon square deal b in 9mm, at the estate sale of a friend of a friend, for $50. I had gone to pick up a very nice customized remington 700 in 243 for $600, and my friend asked the seller for the press to be throw in for an extra 50 bucks.

It's been about 5 years now, and I still use both the rifle and the press all the time.

I've gotten some free goodies from gun shows, late on Sundays. A stack of old Dixie Gun Works catalogs from the 60's once. I was mindlessly leafing through them while my brother was looking at a gun. The guy turns to me and asks, ''Ya want those? Get em out of here, I don't want to load em up and deal with em again!'' I was happy to get them!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.