Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New SA-35 vs BHP Mark III Standard

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    This is an inquiry, not an argument, since I know next to nothing about P-35s. It was mentioned that the BHP barrel was hooded, and the SA-35 is not. What is the purpose of the barrel hood, and does its presence/absence really matter?
    Assuming that one was building a precision-fit target pistol on a Browning-based, tilting barrel system. . .

1. Recoil spring pushes the whole slide forward.

2. Barrel lug engages on the slide stop or locking block and starts lifting upwards to lockup, which occurs not only there, but also. . .

3. At the muzzle where the barrel is ideally fitted to the slide or barrel bushing. . .

4. At the radiused cuts on the slide/barrel in front of the chamber (1911 & BHP), or front of the chamber (Glock, Sig)

5. At the top-rear of the barrel hood against the upper surfaces of the breech face or close to it.

All of that conspires to lock the barrel into as consistent alignment with the slide (containing your sights) as possible for best accuracy. If the goal is to try to do all of that to a semi-decent level of precision, there's enough redundancy to get OK results if one of the areas isn't up to snuff. If you're trying to kick wartime production bullet hoses out the door as fast as possible, the more possible chances you have at "an anchor that can bite sea-floor", the better.

A large number of partial anchors can do a surprisingly good job, but if it's all loosey-goosey and you start omitting some entirely, yeah, the corner-cutting may bite you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the explanation. In light of the loose-fitting barrel-slide fit at the muzzle, perhaps retaining the barrel hood might have been a good idea.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm planning to get an SA-35 as soon as I can afford it. If nothing else, to reward Springfield for keeping this wonderful pistol in production
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Bigslug, “ The HP has a lot of potential - it just needs to be a gun that feels like a Hi Power, but doesn't operate like a Hi Power.” AMEN!!!

The single biggest best factor the BHP has going for it is the way it feels and points.

I’ve never looked at a BHP as a target grade bullseye shooter.
    To me they are a defensive tool most useful for quickly solving close encounters of the turd kind.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    ...The HP has a lot of potential - it just needs to be a gun that feels like a Hi Power, but doesn't operate like a Hi Power.
    The Czechs had the answer in 1975. My old CZ-75 I got at the Rod & Gun Club in Grafenwöhr in 1979. Very comfortable in the hand, feels a lot like a Browning Hi-Power but with an SA/DA option and an easier to use safety. Gives me the option of either cocked and locked OR DA first pull on a loaded chamber.

I've run a boatload of GI issue ball though mine when it was "easy" to obtain. I don't care if the gun rag writers thinks it's obsolete, it suits me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ75 (2).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	293058

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    The Czechs had the answer in 1975. My old CZ-75 I got at the Rod & Gun Club in Grafenwöhr in 1979. Very comfortable in the hand, feels a lot like a Browning Hi-Power but with an SA/DA option and an easier to use safety. Gives me the option of either cocked and locked OR DA first pull on a loaded chamber.

I've run a boatload of GI issue ball though mine when it was "easy" to obtain. I don't care if the gun rag writers thinks it's obsolete, it suits me.

Name:	CZ75 (2).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	293058
    Absolutely agree. Sent mine to Cajun gun works and it is just awesome. That hand fitted bushing showed what the platform can do.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Absolutely agree. Sent mine to Cajun gun works and it is just awesome. That hand fitted bushing showed what the platform can do.
    +2 on the CZ75. And those Mec-Gar mags work great.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim2 View Post
    +2 on the CZ75. And those Mec-Gar mags work great.
    +3 here on the CZ & Mec-Gar mags. Had Doug Guy ream the throat, now all my cast boolits plunk and shoot great.
    I almost bought a HP a few years ago, but the seller backed out. Now I'm glad he did. Like the CZ much better, and it was much cheaper than what the HP would have cost me at the time.

Boolit Master

If you have never handled a CZ you have no idea what you are missing. I just learned that, myself, about a year and two CZ's ago...

However, I would like to hold a SA-35 as well.

Boolit Master
    This was an opportunity for SA to design a reversible, safety for us left-handed shooters. A bulkier ambidestrous safety would detract from the looks, but not a reversible one.

Boolit Master
    Cylinder and Slide to the rescue.
    I fitted this one first weekend I had the gun. It’s great!

Name:	6688AC27-12C6-479D-B3D8-7B1A08131E03.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	293588

Name:	821A2CF9-410C-4595-959D-B77D5C2032FE.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	293589

Boolit Buddy
    .013" clearance between barrel and inside of slide is a deal breaker for me. I'll just look at pics of it and pass on getting one. Good looking gun. Too bad about tolerances though.

Boolit Master
    Yep I hear you.
    Had I known I wouldn’t have bought it either.

But let me throw out a couple of things. First this is a sample of one. Not sure if all are going to be this loose. It’s just that I measured this one. Second, it’s Glock accurate. It’s not a useless gun. It is plenty good for a defensive gun for under 25 yards. I’m keeping it.

But, if someone comes up with a slick fix like an over-size OD barrel, I’ll be trying that. I do like the gun and it works. But yes, the rattling barrel and subsequent group size sucks.

Boolit Mold
    For those that have installed an ambi safety did you have to do any modification to the right grip panel?

Boolit Master
    No.
    I did not on this Sa-35.
    The safety sits above the grip and doesn’t interfere with the top of the grip.
    Also the thumb tab on the right side of the pistol for the left hand thumb is pined on to the hammer shaft.
    Same set up for the factory safety on the BHP Mark III. I think it’s same for all of the models.

Boolit Mold
    Hmmmm the ambi safety that I ordered is supposed to be browning factory but it does not pin on. It has a slot and tab.

Boolit Master
    Catton, here’s a close up pic of my BHP Mark III Standard.
    You can see the roll pin that pins the safety tab to the hammer shaft.

Name:	57AE62D3-00EB-412F-AC16-FEF29C16091E.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	293689

I can’t speak to the other models.

Boolit Master
    Oh I should be clear that my BHP came from the factory with the ambi safety. I think all the Mark III’s did.

They did the same thing to the ambi safety on the browning 1911-22, like the medallion. I am interested in the Springfield version. Currently I have a Belgium BHP that came out of Israel and has the star of David stamp from the idf. I can only imagine the stories that pistol can tell. I also have a Belgium in new condition in 40s&w. Both still have the magazine safety installed, but will do 2 inch groups. I just traded a scope for an Argentine FM browning. It has the mag safety removed and trigger was better. Like many here my first one was an FEG in 45 acp. It had extraction problems. The cz75 and there progeny the sp1 are fine pistols with ergonomics resembling bhps.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy

The SA P-35 will lack the firing pin safety found on the FN MKIII. The SA setup is Probably seen as a good thing by many but for paranoid types like me I prefer the firing pin safety. I am not a tigger pull connoisseur.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast