Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: redding powder measure test

Boolit Master

redding powder measure test

just recieved a pistol chamber for my redding b.r. powder measure. ran 2 tests with bulleseye powder. with the pistol chamber 10 throws measured 4.0 to 4.1 with one measuring 3.9. with the large chamber; the first 3 were 4.0 to 4.1. after that the next 15 measured from 3.1 to 3.5. i don't know what caused the first 3 to be so high. but excluding the first 3; i'll be using the small chamber for pistol powders. i have a belding and mull measure that i will test some day. oh, i forgot i have an older lyman 55. it includes a small chamber for light charges.

I've got 2 Reddings, 1 3BR with both chambers, small for the pistol stuff, big for the elephant killer cartridges. and a BR-30 for the stuff in between.

I've had several RCBS's, Lyman 55's, Belding and Mull, Lee scoops, Hollywood, a RCBS Duo measure plus a couple more.

I like the Redding's the best of all.

YMMV

Neil Jones Custom Products powder measure. So superbly consistent and easily calibrated for any lot of powder that you can do all your load development right at the range with out the need for a scale (once you know your calibration factor for a particular lot number of powder).

I throw powder charges from light handgun loads through magnum rifle calibers and you never change “drums” or have to have two measures, one with a small drum and on with a large drum.

Also, a work of art made by a machinist who is a passionate benchrest shooter.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve only used Lyman’s, but I would never count on them being completely accurate. Maybe if you have the right powder. If I am loading for precision, I will throw lower weights and trickle up. For plinking rounds, I just load them in the middle of the safe range.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of powder measures collected over the years, including high end bench rest measures. One thing you almost NEVER see on the forums, is a mention as to how important to accuracy of dropped powder charges is the actual operator. You can take the finest measure and drop powder charges with varying amounts powder if THE MEASURE IS NOT OPERATED CONSISTENTLY.

What works best for me is to raise the handle gently, tapping gently twice at the top and then drop, gently. Positive, but gently.

Get a good scale, and PRACTICE, and see what a difference consistent operation makes.

Empty your powder measure every time you use it. Powder sitting in a powder measure over time will compact and throw inconsistent powder charges. Every time a truck passes by the house the vibration over time will cause this.

Another tip - if you are using a digital scale, give it twenty minutes to warm up and stabilize before you use it. Use check weights every time you set it up, just to check.

FWIW,
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 12-13-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to test is from a full hopper to almost empty. Most measures have a sweet spot where they run the best. And this may even vary with different powders.
    This can take awhile to do. and is best to do start to finish.
    Fill he measure with the powder to test. Set to close to the desired charge. Now start throwing charges weigh each charge and write it down in groups of 10 charges. DO this to the empty hopper. When looking over the data you will see a range in which the measure seems to settle and run more consistent. averaging each of the 10 throw strings will show even more, on the benchrest measures this will dhow the variance to .01 grains. But it will show the hopper fill that the measure operates the best at. It will also show whee to set a baffle to height wise. a couple tabs of tap can also be used to mark high and low points for best operation.

Another thing to do is when you fill the hopper and set then throw the first 10-20 charges back. this settles the hopper in a natural way aiding consistancy.

Consistency in operation is the key to accuracy. If you bump at the top or bottom of the stroke t must be done every time the same every time. If you take a break then theow 10 charges back and go back to work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarKnight View Post
    Neil Jones Custom Products powder measure. So superbly consistent and easily calibrated for any lot of powder that you can do all your load development right at the range with out the need for a scale (once you know your calibration factor for a particular lot number of powder).

I throw powder charges from light handgun loads through magnum rifle calibers and you never change “drums” or have to have two measures, one with a small drum and on with a large drum.

Also, a work of art made by a machinist who is a passionate benchrest shooter.
    Thanks for posting that. Not something I would need but still impressive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Almost every powder throw I’ve had over fifty years required a special technique for consistency depending on powder. Balls are the easiest but stick and big flake powders needed a light initial handle tap then throw and check every five rounds or so. Bottom line is these devices have little personality quirks. Once you get dialed in you should be okay

Rick