Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Same load for all like firearms.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I haven't done it with the nine , but have with other cartridges .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    Load 9mm? Not me. And performance? At 20 feet? REALLY? No my argumentative friend you missed the point that being one load does it all in one powder does not work for me, never did never will.
    Now that is funny...really funny. You shoot at 20 feet and worry about tailoring your loads.

BTW, I may come across as being argumentative, and for that I apologize. There is a lot of BS on the internet and folks looking for advice can get sent down rabbit holes. When I see stuff that does not make sense, I react to it. I probably should just let it go but I do not. It has got me in trouble before.

This case is illustrative. You offered advice on a thread about loading 9mm, and in your last post admit you do not load 9mm.

I am not qualified to carry Gibson's underwear...but when he can get by with one load that works, I know that what I have been doing (one load for 9mm) is achievable. Maybe we have just been lucky.
    Don Verna

I've used 4.7 grs of Bullseye with an unsized (lubed or powder coated) Lee 358105swc in Beretta, Sig, S&W, and a Hi- point 9mm pistols and it works great in all of them. So I've come to regard it as a "universal" 9mm load in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I load and shoot 9x19 with powdercoated cast bullets and most recently tested at 50

yards offhand; got consistently about 75% hits on a 9 inch white paper plate, with my

left hand in my pocket.

I can do better, and so can you all.

I am most certainly humbled by that guy I saw in the lane next to me, shooting a 32

cal pardini olympic type target pistol. His 10 shot groups at the same distance could

be covered by a quarter.

My jaw fell down when I saw that.

Dverna,

I no longer do but have loaded many thousands of 9's for many firearms from 3 1/2" barrels to longslides (in the same and different maker platforms) when I was an accuracy fetishist, and no I haven't found a load with powders and bullets I've used in 9 or any caliber that was universally usable across them. Since it seems you have, good on you.

As I said I train, yes at 20 feet and for SD that's an appropriate distance, I find what works in what I'm shooting. Some like 10mm, .357 mag, .45 all "can" pretty much stay the same but add an inch or two of barrel, an optic, or a comp, and loads get tailoring.
    Regards,

Gary

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You missed the point completely. This is not about lighter loads, it is about performance differences between powders. I use a load similar to Gibson...except with HP38/W231. It is a light load but works. There is no powder that will save 1-2 gr. in 9mm....or .38, .40, .45 ACP.

Please share your powder saving load for the 9mm. In fact, a load for any pistol caliber that has uses 1-2 gr less than HP38.
    It not about shaving reloading costs by shaving half grains of powder, and its not about performance of different powders.

it about "if my 4 inch 586 likes random brands dewc sized .3589 with 5.00002 grains of Red Dot, and crimp with .001 of the front band sticking out of the case, and a measured 1.00002 foot pounds of torque applied to the loading lever when seating and crimping WILL that load give the same identical performance in my wifes j frame and in my cousins rock island snubby"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I was wondering if and when you find an accurate load you use the same load in all same calibers firearms?
    More specific I am looking for an accurate load in a CZ 75. Do you think that load will be accurate load in other 9mm firearms?
    What do you think would affect the answer?
    Barrel twist rate
    Actual bore diameter
    Barrel length
    Other?
    I have found that there is some universal loads in a lot of my same caliber firearms. Examples are 5.0 Bullseye under a 240 gr. 44 special. Shoots excellent in four different revolvers and in a 44 mag rifle. Ex... 3.5 grs. of Unique under any DEWC in 38 special, I can't count how many different revolvers that load will shoot one ragged hole at 20/25 yds. Ex... 5.6 grs. of 700x under a 150 plain base in 30-30 sub load.
    EX.... 4.1 grs of HP-38 under a 158 gr in 38 spl. There are many others. Will these loads shoot in every gun? of course not but they are good starting points.
    To address the OP's question of 9mm, I don't remember the exact load but its the max listed in Hornady's book for a 147 and I use the same charge for 125 lead and 115 extreme plated.(5.0 power pistol but check the book) It has worked in a dozen or more small 9's like Shields, Glock 43's, Springfield's and 92's.
    As far as what effects the accuracy? Everything. Having said that I don't expect the same accuracy of a 9mm sub 2" barrel as I do the 44 special. At 15/18 yards my 9 load will print an OTO group around 2/2.5 inches, beyond that it's not pretty. We do bang steel out to 50 yds but on 12 inch and bigger targets.
    My family and friends shoot a lot and have several different Dillon's set up for these Universal loads and for banging steel they work. I also shoot Bullseye match's and yes there is some "close" universal loads for these target guns but the OAL, crimp and exact powder charge will differ on almost every gun. Our starting point on a 45 ACP with a 200 gr. SWC is 3.5 Bullseye, then it will take over a hundred rounds to get the exact load for that gun.
    I hope this helps, and by no means am I saying to use my loads these are just some of the combinations that have worked for us. There are many, many combos that will give you the same basic results.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    As someone mentioned, factory loads are basically 'universal'. At self defense ranges you really don't need anything more accurate at short ranges.

The issue comes down to what accuracy level you demand from your guns. If you want consistently small groups at longer than defensive ranges, eg >25yd) then you will need to tailor the load to your gun.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 45 acp pistols. Two will shoot about anything as good as I shoot. The third won't feed reliably anything but round nose. Also I like a light boolit and a heavy hitter for my handguns.

OK: I have been a proponent of 1 standard load for any given caliber since I started reloading in 1971. I don't get into chasing loads searching for that one load that is so much better than the others that I immediately adopt it. ONce I get a load that shoots better than I can I'm done, and that's what we are going to do for that caliber.

In most cases the first load I select turns out to be the one I use forever. For .44 Magnum Midrange that is 8.0 gr of w231 with PC'd Keith Boolit. The Magnum load is 23 gr of H110 using a Thompson 429244 boolit, used in the SBH and Marlin 1894. .44 Special is 6.0 gr of W231 with the same Keith Boolit because it shoots to the sights in my S&W696.

For .308 with 147 gr pulled M80 Ball Bullets 45.0 gr of IMR 4895 produce <MOA first time out so I stuck with it. Same exact load for my .30-06's.

.45 ACP gets 5.7 gr of W231 with a .452-230 Cast and Pc'd or plated 230 gr bullet.
    .40 S&W gets 5.4 gr of W231 with either a 165 gr plated bullet or Cast and Pc'd 165 gr boolit.

These are my "Standard Loads" for these calibers. Been using most of them for many years because there is no good reason to change. If something else is required I can usually interpolate available Load Data so that I can use my normal powders and components maybe changing a bullet. None of my loads ever come close to the high end as I am not a proponent of HOT RODDING ! I see no reason for it for the types of shooting I do, and even if I was to be able to hunt something big I would simply use a gun that was commensurate with the quarry. I have a .45-70 that I can load up to butt kicker levels and then there are the Shotgun Slugs which will take down anything even at relatively low velocities.

It is not hard to cover all the bases with only a few different loads. When you find what you are looking for you usually realize that what you have is better than you can shoot anyway. Maybe more practice shooting is in order?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12