WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We’ve probably all done it

Boolit Master

We’ve probably all done it

…OK so it’s been a while since I cast. My typical routine is to cast several hundred if not more then size, lube and shoot for a year or more.

Recently I’ve aquired a new Uberti Sharps 45-70 and found I only had a few dozen BRP 420gr hollow point left so I fired up the lead pot — I had a new Miha 400gr Keith style mold I wanted to try. Heated up the hot plate and got to casting —- YUCK! Cold mold, wrinkly bullets ARRRGGH! Keep throwing them.

At last I started throwing really nice bullets, dumped the mold and thought “DANG that one is niicccc Aaaaaahhhhh!

I am now drinking coffee with my left hand for a week……as thumb and forefinger of righty are blistered…

Keep casting!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Been there done that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Yea my new motto is every thing is hot all the time.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

I was casting in my garage when my neighbor came over for a visit. He is a shooter and hunter, but he doesn’t reload or cast. He had never seen anybody cast bullets. Well, he started to reach in my box to pick one up, when I quickly stopped him. I said they are very hot. He thanked me.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah it's like blacksmithing or welding just cuz it ain't glowing mean it ain't hot. Guilty as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Dang phone! Don't mean it ain't hot.

Boolit Master
    A good friend of mine used to teach Metals at a High School nearby. One of the students may not have been paying attention but was watching another student cut off a piece of angle iron for a project. The first kid picked it up and immediately dropped it. Teacher asked if it was hot? Kid said, no, just does not take me long to look at it. That is what he told me, but I think it is a story.

Boolit Master
    Yep. That’s why I cast in mechanic’s gloves.

Boolit Master
    ROFLMAO. I still get reminded of what hot is every now and then.

First I remember was as a little kid (6yo??). Mom had finished cooking on the electric oven. I knew that red meant hot but I just wondered what black was like, so, planted my hand on the still hot burner. The burners must have cooled a bit cause I just raised one blister.

Boolit Master
    That joke is used by our ranch hand and I. If there is something hot around and he gets in range of it, I warn him, “It won’t take you long to look at that one”.

We both get a chuckle as he brought that joke to me!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

Funny thing is when you grab that hot one your natural reaction is the squeeze harder cause you think it's slipping. Too late GW

Now days, I don't take off my heavy gloves until I'm done and push away from the bench.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to tell Dad No matter how pretty they are they are still hot.

Do you know the even green PC'ed boolits right out of the oven are hot. and if the PC is still fluid it is even hotter.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

My .45 pc’s don’t stay hot for long as when they come out of the oven they get dropped into a 5 gal water cooler jug about half full of water. Cools them right off. Never gotten burned bad, knock on wood.

Boolit Master

Nope, never ever done that before

in high school we would make aluminum casting of different things. Well pouring the molds you would get a little splatter on the ground I would wait till they were good and cool, pick up a piece and lay it on someone's hand/arm while they are watching, they would still jump like I just burned them.

Boolit Master
    normally cast at a purpose built table with rolled up edges so no danger of lead running down my lap, so I though, I dropped a 230gr .452 cast and it bounced into my lap, now all would have been good but I closed my legs to catch it. Missed the important bits but I still carry the mark above the knees. Regards Stephen

That is one of the reasons I water quench from the mold.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    …OK so it’s been a while since I cast. My typical routine is to cast several hundred if not more then size, lube and shoot for a year or more.

Recently I’ve aquired a new Uberti Sharps 45-70 and found I only had a few dozen BRP 420gr hollow point left so I fired up the lead pot — I had a new Miha 400gr Keith style mold I wanted to try. Heated up the hot plate and got to casting —- YUCK! Cold mold, wrinkly bullets ARRRGGH! Keep throwing them.

At last I started throwing really nice bullets, dumped the mold and thought “DANG that one is niicccc Aaaaaahhhhh!

I am now drinking coffee with my left hand for a week……as thumb and forefinger of righty are blistered…

Keep casting!

Art
    Been there done that.....I learned a long time ago to wear welding gloves....glad you are going to be ok....a year or so ago someone rerun a post on safety and casting boolits.....like you it has been a while since I cast so .... at least at my age I need to review those safety...get well brother and have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Lead is like glass. You can't tell how hot it is by looking at it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast