MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Unique

Boolit Master

Measuring Unique

I've been loading some rounds with Unique, and I'm finding a lot of weight variations with my Little Dandy measure. Sometimes as much as a 1/2 grain or more. That's a lot of variation when you're only dispensing 5 or 6 grains. So I get out my Lyman 55 and the same happens with that too. I try to keep my procedure of dispensing the same and nothing seams to work any better. Even setting the Lyman up with a narrow and deep hole or wide and shallow doesn't seam to improve the situation.
    What's the secret of measuring Unique, other than weighing each charge???

Boolit Master

When you figure out how to drop consistant charges of Unique powder, make sure you patent the process. Unique is one of those problem children you always hear about.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Personally I would use my lee plastic powder measure, it seemed fine with

dispensing unique I was loading 38+p into chromed r-p brass, I wanted them to be

perfect, every powder throw was exactly the same I was throwing 5.5 grains.

Or alternativly a homemade dipper may be made.
    Silver solder a heavy copper wire to a 9mm casing. Easily adjust internal volume by filling the case with more solder.

0.1 grain can be easily maintained with beginner dipper technique. If you have

coordinated eyes/ hands and good lighting the consistency improves. Its how

I learned to reload 9mm with power pistol and unique.
    I was frustrated that the plastic lee spoons

did not carry the in- between charge weights/ volumes I wanted, so I made a couple different ones.

Boolit Master

One thing that helps from the start. I switched from Unique to Herco a few years back. IMHO, Herco does meter better than the Unique. But, not as good as a lot of other powders. Anyway, after I fill the powder reservoir on my Little Dandy, I drop about a dozen charges back into the powder container to settle the powder in the reservoir. Yes, you can tap the reservoir or vibrate it, but that method is not how one drops the powder. I have found that tapping on the side, packs the powder down, and after the powder level drops to a lower level, it will weigh different. Hope this helps a little. Good luck

Boolit Buddy

I use an old Belding and Mull Visible Powder Measure.

Noah

Harrells' Schuetzen measure.
    Expensive, but I (literally) trust it w/ my life.*

That, and a wooden dowel

With very small charges, cut a 2" dowel and mark it w/ a pencil when dropped into charged case.
    When you've finished loading powder into an entire block of cases, drop the dowel into each case to check.
    Takes 60 secs for entire block. Saves your eyes for a lifetime.

ps: Save the dowel.. Once used, you'll use it for the rest of your life to sleep well.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee measure does a lot better for me than the Lyman 55 did on flake powders especially. On my progressive I run the auto drum with a baffle in it. Using the manual Lee measure, I don't use a baffle.

When all else fails, the Lee powder scoops are great. This is the only way I know how to get reasonable measure with 800x. They are slower, but if you are only doing 100, you hardly notice.

Cast low and trickle up load on a scale. Slower but it insures exact load. I have noticed Unique is hard in small loads. I'm using a Lee perfect or a Lee drum measure or an autodisk on press. The autodisk seemed to do pretty consistent. Maybe it is the fact that it gets shaken a lot as the handle is pulled and the powder through die rotates around the turret.

I also have found the baffles sold by Titan Reloading to help. Site sponsor with a link at top of every page. 3D printed clover leaf shaped disk intended to be dropped in measure reservoir where it sits above the bottom and keeps the weight of powder on dispensing chamber consistent while allowing powder to flow around its "leaves".
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I use a Uniflo with the small drum. When dispensing the powder I give the handle a vigorous tap at top and bottom. I usually stay withing 1/20th to 1/10th of a grain. Now when dispensing less then 3 grains I can still feel the measure cut powder every once in a while.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    For Unique, the Dots and 700x I use the Lee dipper. Once you get your system down it's almost as fast as a measure.
    I use a separate 2 inch x 3 inch x 3inch tall container. I pull the scoop through from one end to the other and wipe off level with the top of the scoop. You can also swipe the scoop through once then again and again for a total of 4 times pretty much packs the powder to the max for that scoop. I can maintain less than two tenths variation, and always use this method for LESS than max loads. Max loads gets measured on a beam.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I’m with Sasquatch on his method. The Uniflow with a baffle is my normal way for Unique and I use it quite a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

Last week I loaded 100 rounds of 45 acp with pulled down components including 6.2 gr Unique measured in my 55. Took a bit to get it set but it dropped consistent +/- .05 gr.
    I scaled every 5th charge. I start with a full hopper, use the knocker 30 times before even dropping the first test load. Then two knocks with handle up and one knock handle down to get last few flakes into the brass. Every load. No baffle but I keep the powder level in hopper above 2/3 full all the time.
    I don’t use much Unique anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seven powder measures, including a Lyman 55 but no Lee. Unique bridged in all of them but one, and I only use it in the Belding and Mull - impossible to bridge in that one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I have two ways :

1.) The Lyman 55 with the narrow deep single cavity and working up a consistent method of settling the powder and operating the handle so that it drops a consistent measure of powder .
    And keep the hopper more than halfway full at all times .
    Throw 10 charges to settle the powder in the hopper.
    Consistent operation , settling the powder before with the "knocker" , before moving the handle each time is paramount ... I had to practice and devolp a system of movements and knocks to get consistent ... it's not simply work the handle and nothing else ...settling the powder consistently and operating the handle and using the "knocker" all in a consistent manner are critical .

2.) I use a scoop ... develop a method to consistently scoop charges ...it's not hard and a lot more consistent than you would believe !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have two ways :

1.) The Lyman 55 with the narrow deep single cavity and working up a consistent method of settling the powder and operating the handle so that it drops a consistent measure of powder .
    And keep the hopper more than halfway full at all times .
    Throw 10 charges to settle the powder in the hopper.
    Consistent operation , settling the powder before with the "knocker" , before moving the handle each time is paramount ... I had to practice and devolp a system of movements and knocks to get consistent ... it's not simply work the handle and nothing else ...settling the powder consistently and operating the handle and using the "knocker" all in a consistent manner are critical .

2.) I use a scoop ... develop a method to consistently scoop charges ...it's not hard and a lot more consistent than you would believe !
    Gary
    Same here. I've been using Lyman 55's (have 3 of them) since '69. With Unique I use the large deep single cavity of all 3 adjustment bars also. If one or both of the smaller bars are used there is too much room for uneven "cut" when the rotor is turned. As mentioned, a consistent operation of the handle along with consistent use of the knocker to evenly settle the powder is necessary. I rotate the handle up to it's stop smartly then use 3 knocks of the knocker. I can throw 5 - 12 gr charges within .1 - .2 gr.

With dippers a consistent method of running the scoop through the bowl/cup of powder and a slight tapping to settle and level off produces pretty consistent charges.

Also, as others mention the Lee powder thrower also works well with Unique and the other flake powders. I rotate the rotor up to the fill position the tap the side of the rotor with my finger to evenly settle the powder in the rotor cavity.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I use my one and only RCBS Uniflow from 1968. I have always thrown light and trickled-up on a scale. Never been in a hurry when reloading.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

I've never experienced a problem metering out unique, but then again I don't check each charge, 1 in 10 usually. I use a Lee turret press with case actuated powder dispensers (Lee's disk or drum and recently converted a dillon as well). All 3 systems are volumetric dispensers and no problems as far as consistency.
    That being said because of all the jarring movement in the turret, it probably settles the powder into the measure before being dispensed.

Boolit Bub
    carelesslove, here !

Our Forum-mates Sasquatch-1 and Jal5 may have the answer & method, all in one.

I have hand loaded and cast for ~50 years and the very first powder I used was UNIQUE. I mean the old, dirty, dusty, metal canned, hard-to-measure HERCULES UNIQUE. I was handed this powder - along with an entire reloading set (mostly RCBS) by my local gunshop owner - who is still a friend to this day. He knew I wanted to load revolver cartridges, so he supplied the RCBS UNIFLOW measure with the small drum already installed.

He instructed me to start with specific - mid-range - loads of UNIQUE, to get going and specifically instructed me to be very consistent in my use of the measure. First, he strongly recommended that I develop a consistant "rhythm" for the upstroke & downstroke and not to vary it.

Second, he really strongly recommended that I tap the handle (hard) at the top and at the bottom - the same way, every time. I have dispensed every powder the same way for about 50 years.

In this time frame, I tried every new powder that came out. Some were great, some were not-so-great. Here I am - after a bunch of experimentation - back to using UNIQUE (the new version) - in .357 , .41, .44, .460, and .500 Magnum. I have a pretty standard regimen for load development and all I can say is that it works.

To cap off the discussion of measuring consistently with UNIQUE, I was "gifted" with an "Intellidropper" - a newfangled powder measure. After carefully reading and following the instructions, I found my "rhythm" and loaded up some mid-range .500's, with UNIQUE and 400 grain cast boolits - along with some previously loaded with the same charge (dropped from my old UNIFLOW), and sat down to do some serious chronograph comparison.

In short, there was no difference in my data - dropping from the UNIFLOW, or the newfangled Intellidropper-thingie - the chronograph data had no variance. I still had very low extreme spreads and Standard Deviations, in 10 shot strings.

So much for fixing what wasn't broken.

Looking back, I think Sasquatch-1 and Jal5 are ahead of their time - the tapping may be the key to solving UNIQUE's "problem".

Give it a try. It might set back a lot of technological / powder development.

Thanks, Tom "carelesslove" Love

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, Unique, a flake powder, can be difficult. You are going to get many "I use a ___" and "My ___ measure has been OK for 29 years". But no matter which measure or which method you choose, be consistent. Same throw speed, same throw force, same throw method (same way the handle is moved from one end of the swing to the other end; bump on each end, pause at each end, smooth one movement, etc.). Keep the hopper close to the same level. But do every movement, every action the exact same as you can. Consistency is the key.

I started with dipper measuring, then got a scale and with practice I was able to hold .15 grain variation of some powders. Then I got a Lee PPM. It took a short time to develope my own powder measuring style/method but realized that if I wanted the same amount of powder to fall out of my measure every time, I had to do the same thing every time.

FWIW; Universal powder is very close to the same performance levels as Unique, often used interchangablly (proper charges of course) but much easier to meter...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

If a person is dropping powder in cases standing in reloading trays as I do with my Little Dandy powder measure, make sure to visually check the powder level in the cases after they have been charged. This will let you know if you've double charged a case, missed charging a case, or had a low charge from powder bridging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast