RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Starting loads .223

Boolit Man

Starting loads .223

Getting ready to load up some 223 for the first time ever for a black rifle. I went searching through 4 reloading manuals and they all have somewhat varying start loads for IMR 3031 and BL-C(2) with BL-C 2 having the widest gap. I would like to use 3031 since that's what I have the most of and I would like to load just above the cycling threshold. Most of the books call for 21.0-21.6 start grains 3031 with a 55gr FMJ running 28-2900 FPS. Seems pretty dang hot for just plinking under 100 yds at a rotten Turkey day pumpkin. Suggestions appreciated.

I will be buying a CB mold for the 223 in the near future and going that route just because I like making simple things difficult, but for now I have a bunch of regular bullets and a teenager that wants to throw them away above the speed of sound... and heck, he and I are having a blast learning about reloading different calibers together.

Boolit Master
    Your problem will be functioning. I'd just start lowering the 3031 until it doesn't work anymore, then go back up a grain or so.

Just because there is a starting load does not mean your AR will function with it.

Boolit Grand Master

If using 55 gr jacketed bullets with the 3031 start with 16 gr. I do not use a filler with jacketed bullets. You can adjust in 1/2 gr increments +/- until reliable functioning is achieved including the bolt locking to the rear on the last shot out of the mag.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Ok, will do. I was just reading about using a ladder system to work up loads. How many rounds should I make up in each load batch? I suppose I could pull the rounds that didn't function correctly and relaod with different amounts of powder

Boolit Buddy
    Load 3 for the ladder. Shoot 3 of each load for group across a chronograph.

I'm a big 748 fan of .223, but the same principal should work for your 3031.
    I didn't not want full house loads for 100 yard or less target practice.

I got a couple of the cheap recoil buffer springs, clipped two inches off one, and use about 70% of the max. powder charge,
    but stay above the minimum. Just put a standard one back in for full pressure loads.

Or, find the minimum load that has good accuracy, if it doesn't cycle the action well enough,
    Then start chopping on an extra spring.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-08-2021 at 12:19 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm different, when I want to shoot 55gr fmj in a AR, I want 2850 to 2900, BLC2 is my fav.

castboolits are a hole nuther tang, find a med slow powder (like H4895) and start with speeds of around 1600 and work up until you get the gun to cycle reliably. Then you will likely find a narrow window of accuracy just above that speed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Getting ready to load up some 223 for the first time ever for a black rifle. I went searching through 4 reloading manuals and they all have somewhat varying start loads for IMR 3031 and BL-C(2) with BL-C 2 having the widest gap. I would like to use 3031 since that's what I have the most of and I would like to load just above the cycling threshold. Most of the books call for 21.0-21.6 start grains 3031 with a 55gr FMJ running 28-2900 FPS. Seems pretty dang hot for just plinking under 100 yds at a rotten Turkey day pumpkin. Suggestions appreciated.

I will be buying a CB mold for the 223 in the near future and going that route just because I like making simple things difficult, but for now I have a bunch of regular bullets and a teenager that wants to throw them away above the speed of sound... and heck, he and I are having a blast learning about reloading different calibers together.
    I cast the lee .224 boolit that is a clone I think of the RCBS .224 55 grain gas check boolit. I have very good accuracy with powder coated and gas checked boolits out of a 1 in 9 AR. Full function and bolt lockback at 19 grains of H335.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Try .222 load data, my AR's do great with it. 18 grains of Reloder 7 or H-4198 is a dandy, I'm sure other powders in that burn range would work well too
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I had terrible results with 3031 in an AR. I ended up installing an adjustible gas block which helped quite a bit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I guess I'm different, when I want to shoot 55gr fmj in a AR, I want 2850 to 2900, BLC2 is my fav.

castboolits are a hole nuther tang, find a med slow powder (like H4895) and start with speeds of around 1600 and work up until you get the gun to cycle reliably. Then you will likely find a narrow window of accuracy just above that speed.
    I am with Jon on this. If shooting jacketed in an AR 5.56, saving a few grains of powder by downloading does not makes a lot of sense to me. It is not a caliber where recoil is an issue.

KISS. Find an accurate load...dial in the scope...done.
    Don Verna