MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Losing things...

Boolit Master
    I'm a member of the lost club too.

Boolit Buddy
    Right now I'm searching every where for all the parts for my RCBS case trimmer, I feel the pain.

Moderator Emeritus

Last Spring, I finally got around to cleaning/decluttering my garage and put up a bunch more shelving. My garage was a "catch all" for stuff for over 20 years. I could never find anything in that mess and of course if I was working on a project, I was always moving junk out of the way, that move it back again, what a headache.

During the decluttering, I recycled countless boxes of steel (screws/brackets/parts and such from former projects or jobsite leftovers). I also got rid of a bunch of saved lumber scraps (some wasn't too scrappy either), with the inflated price of new lumber this summer, it was easy to find people that'd haul it away for free. I sorted through all the good tools and stuff, kept a little and then had a large yard sale and attempted to sell it cheapy. Everything that didn't sell was donated to Goodwill or other places...or thrown away. Everything I kept got put in well marked boxes on a shelf, so finding stuff is now easy...if I didn't dispose of it...AND THERE IN LAYS THE RUB.

Now that I have room to work on things again, when I need this or that, some part I knew I had collected 15 years ago, just is gone, must have sold it, or given it away...So at least I don't spend hours looking for something, I just go buy a new part. Time is worth more than $5 worth of bolts these days.

BTW, the cleaning/decluttering/garagesale, all in all, took more than a month...But back to the whole point of this rambling post, It sure was easy losing stuff in a cluttered garage, but now I never lose anything in the cleaned up garage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Was arguing with the boss and swept my hand out wedding band went flying made 2 tinks and couldnt be found.3-4 month later the shop helper came up it was found when he was cleaning the coolant tank on the surface grinder. 30 foot 2 bank shot there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Man! you nailed it! Almost sounds like you were watching me on a project yesterday. My cousin calls it the C.F.S. syndrome... Cain't find S.
    Goes with C.R.S Can't remember S .

Boolit Buddy
    Right before the plandemic I bought bought breakers outside outlet boxes and outlets and all the necessary fittings to 2 complete mtr loop projects I was working on. It almost filled up a 5gallon bucket. 2 years later and I still can't find it!!!

Mislaid both 5/16 in allen wrenches Friday. Have 2, one for the mini mill, the size of my cap screws that I use on T clamps and another in the reloading room that my presses are bolted down with. Needed one to set up my mill, walked back and forth several times between the house and barn. Then they both appeared on the mill bench. Something I’ve done is to change the angle of the way you’re looking for something, bend down, look longways the bench. Getting old ain’t for wussies. My rt hip gave me a fit last week with sciatica, calming down now.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s why I now lock most of my stuff up. If it wasn’t, I’d swear someone had stolen stuff I can’t find. This way it could only have been me responsible.

If I set something down because "I'll get to it in a little bit" I physically point at it and say out loud "Your wrench is on the reloading bench, moron" it seems to help.

Boolit Master

To add to the problem my wife rearranges the kitchen cabinets and drawers every other week. I cook a lot so I’m constantly looking for a pot, pan, lid or utensil where it was last time. When unloading the dishwasher I have to search for the “new” storage spots.
    Way I figure it sooner or later the place I put something will wind up being right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Last month I lost my wedding ring after 47 years. To the best of my recollection it must have happened while I was splitting wood for my daughter and her husband. A metal detector was used to search, the wood pile has been marked to distinguish the area where I was working and I will look again. In the meantime, I ordered a very simple, inexpensive replacement. Unfortunately, that did not assist in locating the original.
    My brother in law lost his wedding ring and wasn't sure where it happened except that he was in the cattle lot. About 5-10 years after he lost it he was rotary hoeing in the field and found the ring on one of the spikes of the hoe after he was cleaning it up to put away for the season. He was pretty sure he lost it working on cattle. Must have gotten hauled out with the manure spread on the field and then he picked it up with the hoe.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Ha, I know I bought a new pair of tennis walking shoes 2 weeks ago, I've yet to see them at the house?

Boolit Master

Which one of you all stole my 30-06 dies? My dies are all on one shelf, everything but the '06. Been looking for it for over a year. Glad
    I loaded all my empties the last time I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by greglaroche View Post
    thé worst is when you can’t find something you had in your hand three minutes before and haven’t moved five feet.
    gremlins
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Can't imagine anything like that happening . . . . I have a really neat poem that someone sent me about problems like this . . . . . I'd post it but I seemed to have misplaced it somewhere?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Starting to misplace things, and as I am single and live alone, I have no one to blame.

But, unlike my dad, who when he misplaces something accuses me of stealing it, I am accepting that my brain simply malfunctioned.

Frustrating and getting expensive. I shot 100 rounds of 10 mm the other day and painstakingly picked up every single piece at the range since it was all virgin brass. I can't find it. I know I put it in a container in my reloading room, but it is gone.

Then, I tried to find a brand new Glock OEM barrel that is extended and threaded for my G23. $160. Used it a couple of times and took it out. Now I can't find it. Even tried organizing and cleaning my gun room so I don't lose stuff and it didn't help.

Anyone else getting frustrated by losing stuff?
    yer dad stole it!

Boolit Master

Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    "Starting to misplace things, and as I am single and live alone, I have no one to blame"

Yeah, I'm 68, just retired & have the same problem.
    Been single divorced 20+ years & trying to meet someone to spend time with ????? Good luck finding her !!!!!!
    Just hang in buddy, we both have friends that didn't make it to our age

Boolit Master
    Thats just average ,I hold the record ! 3 /24 inch levels (one of 3 that I lost) and found 5 yrs later ,being an excavator I use one for pipe levels doing curtain drains . Did one at the neighbors house and 5 yrs later had to dig it up to move for an addition ,guess what I found (dirty) but back in use /Ed

Boolit Master
    I find If you put some tools in the refrigerator , you will always find them
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast