Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Herter's model 5 powder scale

Herter's model 5 powder scale

I just got one of these scales but the wire is missing. Any suggestions for how it was set up and what is require to replace it?
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

I would look for a photo and try to fashion one out of wire. See if it zeros. Can cut wire shorter for weight but definitely check it to a known scale that weighs accurately. Otherwise check ebay and others for one. I’ll check and see if I have something in my parts boxes.
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Banned
    Dental wire is what was originally used. It's fine enough with the required strength to hold tension against that stiff spring. You can get a piece at any orthodontist office or a dental surgeon.

Ken

Boolit Master
    That old scale worked well and probably still would if that wire was in place; I assume you mean the wire that serves as both a support and fulcrum for the beam?

If so, I'd try some very fine steel leader wire. Look in a saltwater fishing shop (or get a mail order saltwater fishing catalog like Cabela's/BassPro/NetCraft) for single strand leader wire; something in the range of .015-.025 inch diameter should do what you need.

I don't remember how those wire ends were secured but it obviously can be done. Getting them attached and "piano string" tight might be difficult but the scale itself is worth trying to restore.

If/when you get it fixed, don't sweat the accuracy. Accuracy comes from the beam notches and they don't slip!

Looking for about a foot of .006in or #35gauge SS wire. Will pay a reasonable price.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    Looking for about a foot of .006in or #35gauge SS wire. Will pay a reasonable price.

How about a guitar string - I think the E string is .009, not far off.

Banned
    I have heard someone using guitar string successfully, in my experience it didn't work.

The OP is looking for dental wire, he told me that he tried 5 different offices in the Phoenix area and none had wire longer then 3.5 inches. I have a piece that is long enough but I am wintering over in Texas.

There is a 1 inch long rod that passes through the beam, the underside of this rod has a very tiny grove that wire must fit in and also pass through an equally tiny hole in the beam.

If anyone could check with an orthodontist in your area and maybe help the OP find a wire it would be great.

Ken

Sadly most guitar I've looked at are of the wound variety.

Pressman thanks for your input.

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone finds some wire let us know. I don't think they made a special size just for the press it must fit something else.

A gentleman on another site suggested this restance wire found here: http://https://rover.ebay.com/rover/...2F282029738203

I’ve ordered it and will report back about its usefulness later if anyone is interested.

Boolit Grand Master

Is piano wire too stiff? Lot of sizes there.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yesterday I did call the largest music store in the Phoenix area (it's actually in Mesa) and they denied anything that small that was just plain unrapped, uncoated wire.

Boolit Buddy

You guys are great. Thanks for all the suggestions!

daboone,
    Sent you PM.
    Have tungsten wire, not sure of diameter as I had two sizes for scope repair.
    It is available on e-Bay as well.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

Used to tune pianos so probably have some of most sizes on hand. PM me if it'd work and you want some.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Thank all of you for your offers. I think I've ordered the right stuff off of ebay. So if it isn't I promise I will harass or beg you to PLEASE send me some. I'd be happy to pay for shipping/mail/Fedex/UPS/etc!

Got the Herters Model 5 fulcrum's wire strung this morning and it meets all of George Herters bombastic sales hype!

Took several attempts to get the .006 in SS wire stretched without snapping the wire. Then I broke it once more setting the zero by adjusting the 2 nuts on the end of the beam. After that using RCBS scale weights in increments of 5 grains to 200 grains it was spot on. That lever on the pointer end is use to settle the swing of the beam down, right now. Very clever IMO.

This was a fun restoration. I know this photo can't express how much I enjoyed doing this project. No it won't replace my M5 or the Gen6 but it will get admired, by me, for a very long time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1995.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	234943
    Last edited by daboone; 01-30-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Banned
    Good to see you have it working. Keep an eye out for dental wire as it is stronger than what you have. That said the No.5 is my favorite scale and the one I use for all reloading, out of the 100 or so I have available. I really like the beam swing stopping feature, I wish some other company would have picked up on that.

Ken