MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a way to hopefully not loose my empty brass cases while hunting!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Found a way to hopefully not loose my empty brass cases while hunting!

Thought of this idea the other day.

Bought a bag of new RP 300 RUM cases from a member here a few weeks back. Since they are expensive in the real world and hard to find I figured I'd try to make them stand out. I never can seem to find my brass after it ejects out of my 22' tree stand in the leaves and snow. To my eyes the brass color blends right in with fall leaves. Hopefully they will stick out like a sore thumb now. Used a red permanent maker I picked up in a 3 pack from the $1 store. The permanent marker I used doesn't smell or wipe off. It also doesn't add any thickness to the case diameter so they feed and cycle flawlessly. Im sure tumbling will remove it. Figured it was a good way to mark my new cases vs the old brass that I lost count of the firings. Think I'll be doing this to all my hunting rounds from here on out.

REDRUM!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2Zh8SPg.jpg  
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-13-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve found that red blends into leaf litter very well.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

The craft store sold all different colors of neon permanent orange, green, and pink. Might have to change colors if I still have issues finding my brass.

Vendor Sponsor

If there's snow where the brass lands it will melt it's way out of sight in short order.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I write my powder charge on my cases with a sharpie when I'm working up new loads. It stays pretty well until I tumble them.
    Good idea if you're able to find a colour that doesn't match the surroundings.
    There is a couple who make brass ornaments, candle holders and the like that colours their brass with some sort of dye. They claim it doesn't ever come off. I haven't tried their claim, and they're not very forthcoming about what they use.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I’ve found that red blends into leaf litter very well.
    My first thought as well. But easy enough to test...have a buddy drop some and see if you can find them.

I think pink would be a good choice...but your buddies will have a field day razing you.
    Don Verna

You might try Alcohol Ink, it comes in all kinds of colors and once dry is pretty stable. I'd imagine tumbling would remove it though.

I used a red colored caribeaner the other day to snap my scent drag on and off my boot.
    Stuck out like it glowed at 20 yards when I set it out on a branch to the point I figured it was going to spook deer. About the exact same color. I'll have to experiment with some other colors but imo red stands out pretty good on the leaves in my woods. Lost brass in snow many times. By the time I get out of my stand the fired brass has cooled down and had a layer of ice and snow built up over it. Usually never to be found.

I think a nice rainbow pattern would stand out nicely. Also seems more friendly when you're killing a critter. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I know others were thinking it, but I’ll be the one to ask:
    What are you hunting that you have to shoot twice with that monster?
    Tony

We get extra doe tags here and can party hunt. So it's not uncommon to shoot several deer at once to fill tags. Do you think the 180 grain Seirra RN are enough?????lol. Picked up a box of 1100 in a group buy and figured id try them out. Gun hasn't been used since I shot a 7'2" black with it 11 years ago. Felt sorry for the gun since it hasn't got much attention for decade so I am putting it in use. I do have them downloaded to 2900 fps so it should be like using a light loaded 300 win mag...gotta give the deer a chance..
    Lol

My neighbors are sitting 25 yards off my property line and figured if the monster buck I've been after comes by hopefully it won't go far...or at all. Don't want to have have hit deer cross my property line and loose it. I'm sure when I pull the trigger the extra noise from that gun will put a load in their shorts....might have to put my KDF brake back on so it really goes bang!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-13-2021 at 01:55 PM.

If that doesn't work out, they might have miniature GPS trackers in the future.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Just come back with a metal detector. I run my up and down my shooting range consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Might have to try that, but think I will try Yellow

oh - i thought it was the norm to wait on a deer for 20 minutes, flick the hammer back in 2 seconds, aim and fire in the following 3 minutes...

make a bang. watch the deer run off in X direction.

without moving an inch, sit gun down and bend over begin looking for said brass for 30-40 minutes, allowing deer to expire.

or is that jst me

ha ha.
    i personally put my hand over the ejection port an eject any round into my hand. this of course does not happen when 'sendin lead at south departin deer'.
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    My neighbors are sitting 25 yards off my property line and figured if the monster buck I've been after comes by hopefully it won't go far...or at all. Don't want to have have hit deer cross my property line and loose it.
    I'd have thought these days that in such scenerio, a little chat, explanation and you would be 'granted' access to go get the deer? im sure it hppens a **** tone with bow hunting
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Love the very seasonal red cases, tis the season to go…..reindeer hunting?

Make some green ones too- it's almost Christmas time
    Great idea for when brass and grass are the same color!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HD.375 View Post
    I'd have thought these days that in such scenerio, a little chat, explanation and you would be 'granted' access to go get the deer? im sure it hppens a **** tone with bow hunting
    I have had several discussions with the neighbors but they have zero common sense and respect. Its.going to get.to the point I'm going to line my property line with cameras a.s start to prosecute the next time they trespass. I have caught them shooting at and wounding deer several times a good.100 yards onto my property. They own a 75 yard square of woods and the rest 180 plus acres of open field. So they sit and stare into my wooded property. They bought the land 4 years ago. We had to have it surveyed so they know where my stand is I've had in the same spot since 1985. I politely asked them to sit a good 100 yards off the property line for safety reasons and not to ruin each other's hunting. They don't care. A whole other topic. I think I at least pissed them off enough not sit by me bow hunting. They were watching a deer a few weeks back and i purposely spooked it. BTW I'm 80 yards of my property line and I can see them clear as day. Two days later that came back to hunt and rattled for 5 minutes along with blowing a grunt call like a stuck pig. After an hour they left. A day later they came back. They rattled...I rattled back and grunted lound as hell. They got out of their blind and left a few minutes later. Blind is still there so i am sure I will have to be fast on the trigger on opening day. I did put no trespassing signs up 2 years ago. She called and yelled at me for 15 minutes and said they were offensive and to turn them around. She's not right in the head. I ll be buying a.few more stands next year and place them farther off my property line....and a blind right on my.proerty line 20 yards from hers.

Boolit Master

I don`t know anything about the trespass laws in Wisconsin but trespass is a serious offence in Oregon.
    I would contact your fish and game, or what department deals with game laws in Wisconsin, about them shooting onto your property.
    That may some sort of trespass.
    Definitely a safety issue.
    You seem to have your property line well marked .
    If not , I would mark it at close intervals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast