Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for SE U.S. hunters

Boolit Master

Question for SE U.S. hunters

In the last 18 months, a timber company primarily from the SE U.S. bought the timberlands of a local timber company here on the east side of the Olympic Mountains near Hood Canal (a saltwater fjord). This summer they announced they were going to charge leasing fees to hunt or even gather mushrooms on parcels from 10 to 300 acres. To us, their fees sound absurd for deer hunting (no elk in this area). Most of this company's holding are in Louisiana, across to NE Florida.
    My question is what the going rate is to lease whitetail hunting rights on a 200 acre parcel of tree farm, for instance, in Louisiana or NE Florida???
    My explanation to people who have asked me about this is that the bean counters are comparing our blacktail deer country locally where the limit is one per year with whitetail country where the limit might be as much as 2-3 per day. What the bean counters don't know is that in my neighborhood (I live across the creek from one their small parcels), we are awash in mountain lions. The deer population is very, very thin. Three different mountain lions have visited my small acreage in the last two months alone according to my trail cams a few yards from the house.
    Is $2500 to lease hunting and recreation rights on a 200 acre parcel for 9 months normal?

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Is $2500 to lease hunting and recreation rights on a 200 acre parcel for 9 months normal?
    Here, lease rates are 'so much' for the acreage, with a limit on how many shooters are allowed, and sometimes restrictions
    on what, which, and how many game animals are allowed to be taken.
    It would usually look something like: "300 acres, $600., 3 guns, hogs and all legal deer".

You'd need to know how many guns/shooters are allowed on it, and if there is a certain total bag limit for the property.
    Also, if it included all hunting rights for the period--- squirrels, birds, etc. or just deer.
    Is the $2500. just for one or each person, or can the fee be spit among a given number of others?

If it's $2500. for one person-- I'd think going to a professional game ranch for a 3 day weekend would be cheaper,
    a much better guarantee of success, and the accommodations better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Seems high to me, particularly if the game numbers are low. Most leases here are pretty wide-open about what you can kill, which is why people do it....they can fill their freezers without having to deal with the issues that come with public land hunting.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    I hunt Florida, Georgia and Alabama, and prices will range from $8.00 to $20.00 per acer for the year of use. . .then there is always liability insurance which varies in price due to amount of members and a few other factors, all in all that fee is not horrendous. Their price of $12.50 per acre is not to far off base, but it does depend on the quality of the land.

Boolit Buddy
    Ours is in North GA. it is $11.00 per acre, per year. That includes the insurance the property owner requires. Anything legal per state regs. is allowed. One person per 25 acres give or take. That kinda depends on the property topo.
    Tony

Boolit Master

hunting aint what it once was. if you dont want to fight with everybody else on state land then you are forced to pony up to hunt private land. I have a small lake and some fields that encompass about 30 acres, I put it up for bid this spring and had offers as high as 6 grand, sight unseen. I went with 2 fathers and their young sons and get enough to pay my property taxes on the whole farm/ranch which is the only reason I lease the ground. in the big picture this model will kill hunting for the little guy with no money and the sport will lose hunters but landowners simply can not leave money on the table when they have bills to pay.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    In the last 18 months, a timber company primarily from the SE U.S. bought the timberlands of a local timber company here on the east side of the Olympic Mountains near Hood Canal (a saltwater fjord). This summer they announced they were going to charge leasing fees to hunt or even gather mushrooms on parcels from 10 to 300 acres. To us, their fees sound absurd for deer hunting (no elk in this area). Most of this company's holding are in Louisiana, across to NE Florida.
    My question is what the going rate is to lease whitetail hunting rights on a 200 acre parcel of tree farm, for instance, in Louisiana or NE Florida???
    My explanation to people who have asked me about this is that the bean counters are comparing our blacktail deer country locally where the limit is one per year with whitetail country where the limit might be as much as 2-3 per day. What the bean counters don't know is that in my neighborhood (I live across the creek from one their small parcels), we are awash in mountain lions. The deer population is very, very thin. Three different mountain lions have visited my small acreage in the last two months alone according to my trail cams a few yards from the house.
    sounds like a total rip off to me
    2500 to hunt is absurd
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Yeah I hunt public wildlife refuges, in NC, and it costs $12.50 per applicant for 30K acres and a 200 hunter limit.

So yeah I wouldnt pay insane prices to lease land in the Florida or La swamps

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the input on how it works and costs elsewhere. The fee here is per hunter per car. Yes, it is a ripoff from what you are saying.
    One interesting part is that there is also a checkerboard of public land in small parcels adjoined the timber company's land but the deer are just as scarce there. There is not much to tell you which land is which either but I understand a new smart phone app called onyx helps with that. Being a local and having collected timber harvest plans from many of those public parcels over the years, I know exactly where they are.
    For those interested in our blacktail deer's response to four legged predation, about seven years ago I lost one of my favorite "honey holes" for deer to an invasion of mountain lions. For the next five years I saw no deer sign whatsoever and it is only in the last two years that deer are starting to reoccupy again. It took two lions to clean out the deer in about six months and, yes, I saw them both up close and personal. The situation was unique because it was on a small peninsula (15 sq miles) bounded on three sides by deep salt water and HWY 101 on the fourth. This is a classic ecological drama much like jackrabbits and coyotes in the desert southwest.
    Hopefully the timber company is getting rude awakening. It may help that our fish&wildlife agency will quit planting thousands of trout in those three lakes on that land since the public is losing access.
    Please keep the information coming so I can answer people's questions about these hunting leases more intelligently.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 11-11-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Thats an absurd amount. We pay 550 for access to 11000 acres, limited to 72 members.

I am a timber tract owner in S.C. Around here leasing your timber tract nets you about $2 per acre after insurance, etc.

Boolit Master

Sounds like time for a lion hunt.

Sounds lke a big timber company, we have a few here bouts. They way they work is to make a $ buck, no pun intended, on everything they do. They have no interest in what is fair. It really does not matter how much is charged in MS or GA or FL, it is what they feel they can charge for access. They are also familiar with the local trespass laws, on agricultural land.
    Suggest you find another area that is more suitable to you, if you have a problem with their rules, regulations or rates.
    By the way, if they lease the plot across the creek, you will have more than cougars on your place.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    It has been awhile since we had a hunt club we had a parcel which included a old FWC plot called perpetual amd we paid 70. dollars a year for 5000 acres turkey, deer, and hogs, coyotes were open season you see em you shoot em this was right out side OLD Town Fl.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Sounds lke a big timber company, we have a few here bouts. They way they work is to make a $ buck, no pun intended, on everything they do. They have no interest in what is fair. It really does not matter how much is charged in MS or GA or FL, it is what they feel they can charge for access. They are also familiar with the local trespass laws, on agricultural land.
    Suggest you find another area that is more suitable to you, if you have a problem with their rules, regulations or rates.
    By the way, if they lease the plot across the creek, you will have more than cougars on your place.
    This is good advice!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I would be willing to bet we are talking about one of the same companies that I have been hesitant to name since they control a lot of land in NW Florida. The people around Forks, Washington detest the company for what it did to access to their world famous steelhead rivers let alone what they charge for hunting leases there due the elk. It ruined a big portion of their tourist economy that depended on abundant bank fishing opportunities( I have business customers there and I have heard all about it). It is well known they are not a good neighbor. Luckily there will be plenty of good hunting opportunities to hunt deer around here on those hidden public land parcels once the deer populations begin to recover in a few years after the lions die out. I do like to muzzleloader mule deer hunt out in the desert just over the Cascades anyway.
    Thanks again to all for the wonderful information you are sending to me. You never know where a trail might lead.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 11-11-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    In TN the paper mills own many large and small tracts that are designated as Wildlife Management Areas. Any legal hunter with the proper state license (permit) can hunt these lands. I hunted one of these when it had various hardwood groves and the hunting was very good. Then the owner companies removed all the hardwood and replaced them with pine plots. The deer thinned out quickly. Next we joined in with various lease opportunities from company lands that were not public access (WMA) lands and quickly learned that the local hunters who had hunted these lands for years kept using them without buying into the lease. We often hunted on week-ends and the locals in the middle of the week, so that concept went away. Now we are looking into leasing privately owned land to hunt but most land owners are reluctant to offer their land to anyone outside of their family. Even the State officials issued notice of the scarce deer populations on the WMA's due to timber harvesting and explained that the timber companies only care about their wood crop and the hunters mean little to them. Now with building materials in high demand at even higher prices I predict these lands may become barren of all growth except for the recently planted seedlings.

What actually happened was pine pulp wood was $6 a ton. The high grade paper made from hard woods went way up, sent hardwoods to $67 a ton. Over 10x the value of pines. That is what happened to your hardwood trees. I own a tree farm, still have my hardwood trees, left them for the critters. The fellow across the road bought 100 acres, built a house, etc., discovered the previous owner cut all the hardwoods off of it, no deer or turkey on his place, he watches the herds of deer and the turkeys on my place, calls me on the phone, etc.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Based on my experience with hunting leases in West Virginia, that $2500 is absolutely criminally high. Some sucker might pay it, but I darn sure wouldn't.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Here in Arkansas 100 acres backed up to USFS is about $3k per year .

It is generally left to the prime lease party to determine counts . Leases are annual and generally subject to general leasee care in terms of plots lanes and access . Based on my limited interaction .
    You get 3 tags with your annual license and can buy 3-7 more depending on specific areas ......then there's the private property rules .
    Hogs are open season , they do have to show up 2x in 48 hr to ensure they aren't domestic runaways .
    I don't know that are seasonal restrictions .
    This applies to private property and owners rules .
    Major lease with sublet is another bucket of snakes .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast