Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 500 S&W Load Dies with 700 Grain projectiles

500 S&W Load Dies with 700 Grain projectiles

What dies are people using with their 500 S&W with the big projectiles. I Have Lee 3 die set. And found seating/Crimping issues.. I tried trimming the seater and making a flat insert. Still has not solved the problem for seating. Its squishing the projectiles and 1/4 get pulled out on pulling the case out .

Boolit Grand Master

I've heard of seating dies having too small a crimp to handle larger diameter cast bullets, but never any that actually pulled the bullet back out. I can't even imagine how that can happen unless something is incredibly wrong with the die. I'd say your die is bad, Lee will replace it for free if you explain what is wrong with it. If you can, while you are at it, buy a Lee collet crimp die.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    What dies are people using with their 500 S&W with the big projectiles. I Have Lee 3 die set. And found seating/Crimping issues.. I tried trimming the seater and making a flat insert. Still has not solved the problem for seating. Its squishing the projectiles and 1/4 get pulled out on pulling the case out .

I use the RCBS carbide 3 die set. I find seating and crimping in separate steps improves the quality of the loaded rounds and avoids any lead shaving. The optimal way to do it seems to be using the Lyman M expander die with the RCBS set but I’ve been having a hard time finding one. The RCBS set is adequate by itself though.

Are you running the 700 plus grain projectiles with the dies?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Are you running the 700 plus grain projectiles with the dies?
    Yeah I’ve run a lot of bullets through them and never had an issue with any of the dies. 275 federal fusion, 300hdy ftx, 350hdy xtp mag, 385spire, 395 long nose, 400JHP, 440LWNFP, 535long nose, haven’t got to try my 565 long nose yet, and finally Matt’s bullets 700s. Great dies, probably have about 500 rounds through them so far but unfortunately it’s not nearly enough!

Boolit Bub
    And it sounds like that Lee die isn’t deep enough, probably because the original factory ammo for the 500s&w only went up to 500 grains and didn’t take advantage of the 2.300 inch cylinder.

Boolit Man
    I use the lee 3 die set for the 500 including the 700 gr Matts boolit. Raise the seating die high enough so it will seat the 700 gr and use a separate crimp die such as the Lee collet. The 700 gr boolits need a real tight crimp so they won't jump crimp.
    You need to modify the Lee Collet Crimp die to work best.
    See link below:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2239315