Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bo cast pc boolits 1st try

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    Randy, I’m a gun-aholic also, I have 4 300blks a Ruger ranch a 7.5” AR pistol, a single shot, and a 16”AR.. I use the NOE 310-130rn for all of my supersonic uses. And then I use the NOE 310-225 NLG for my subsonic uses. One thing I have learned with PC is this, prettiness doesn’t matter, I bought a silver wear holder tray that’s wide mesh that fits in my oven I shake(no BBs) then I dump into the tray and shake over parchment paper and then throw it all in the oven for 23 min, when it’s done I dump them into a cake pan from the dollar tree and shake then let it sit for a min shake let it sit for a min and shake untill it’s cooled down, I can bake 2-300 in one cycle. Sure they have bare spots…who cares, sure they are ugly….who cares…they shoot good, I GC and size to .310 for the supersonic. I’ve killed deer with them, and ground hog and they always do well

Good luck
    THis right here is what I do as well. Plus size after not before, waste of time at least for every boolit I have done.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the club

I second the suggestion to not water drop. Not needed with PC. I size before and after with most of my molds cause they are a bit oversize for PC. Easier on my arm

I use silicone baking sheets instead of foil or paper. They last a long time and I have found you can even scrape off old PC 'globs'. Mine have more than 100 cycles on them so far.

Boolit Master
    2 reasons not to water drop from the mold if you are going to be Pc'ing, 1. You will temper them, so water dropping from the mold is a waste of time but water dropping after PC will harden them 2. Putting them on a cloth towel instead keeps them from any contamination that you might get from water dropping and waiting for them to dry.
    I PC the same day or next then size when I get time.

I forgot to add, I do quench after powder coating to get my hardness.. I left that major part out, my bad.
    Last edited by mto7464; 12-30-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m a big advocate of PC, but you can push boolits pretty fast with LLA and gas checks. I tumble lube, let dry, then size while putting on the gas check and then tumble again. I stand up my PC boolits and got tired of my skinny boolits falling over.

Boolit Master

Dont be fooled here. Choosing to quench is COMPLETELY DEPENDANT upon the hardnes that you want.
    Quenching AFTER coat simply KEEPS that (closer then air cool) hardness. This is tested and factual no assumptions.

Now NOT quenching after bake will give you a softer overall result. Conversely you can harden a alloy with much longer baking times and a quench. But a relatively (shortish 20min) does a NICE JOB SOFTENING a bullet! (If air cooled after)

As a rule I rarely quench out if the mold. (Water drop) as I prefer to mix the alloy I need.

Again as a rule I quench out of bake to retain that hardness. BUT handgun HP, always get a AIR COOL as harder ore brittle is farthest thing I want.

So know the factual reasons to quench or not.

Dont trust me, im just a guy on the internet. DO THIS AND TEST FOR YOURSELF! I DID!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Are Bo bullets different than other cast bullets or is the the title meant to confuse old guys into wondering why someone would cast and powder coat "body odor"?

But seriously, some times the use of abbreviations and/or acronyms only create confusion. Says an old retired Air Traffic Controller who spent 35 years immersed in the world of acronyms. Quiz question: what does the acronym RADAR stand for?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    But seriously, some times the use of abbreviations and/or acronyms only create confusion. Says an old retired Air Traffic Controller who spent 35 years immersed in the world of acronyms. Quiz question: what does the acronym RADAR stand for?
    Radio Detection and Ranging (but I was an ATC too for a much shorter time).
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Radio Detection and Ranging (but I was an ATC too for a much shorter time).
    You mean it's not actually a secret word spelled backwards? LOL
    Last edited by oley55; 01-06-2022 at 10:44 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12