Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: RCBS single-stage shotshell press?

RCBS single-stage shotshell press?

Did RCBS ever make a single stage shotshell press? My memory syas yes but I can't recall where I saw one. If you know of one, does anyone out there have one and if so, do you still have the instructions. (a weird questions for an item that may not even exist)

They made die sets for their regular presses in 12ga and, I believe, in 20ga, too. I remember the prices were so high that one could buy two of the complete Lee units and still have some cash left over for supplies.
    Born OK the first time.

OMGB--I noticed that my Rockchukker press had a collar where the die screws in. I thought hmmm--that would be large enough for shotgun dies. I wrote RCBS to see if that was the reason. I got a letter from none other than Fred Hunnington(RCBS owner at the time and developer of the compound leverage press). He said that what I was suggesting was surely possible,but if for example it cost him $15 to make the dies,they would be $45 by the time they reached the consumer. He went on to say that it would be a cheaper and better deal to buy a shotgun press(This was back in the 70's). He said the collar was needed as a larger hole was needed facillitate boring for the ram. I did notice later that RCBS did offer shot gun dies for the press. A machinist did make me some shotgun dies,but I never got good shells from the process. I think you would be better served geting a shotgun press.

I have a 366 press. No, the qustion comes from my desire to load all brass shells with BP. I was sent a message from a guy who saw such a thing (RCBS shotshell press) on ebay. He says all it does is decap and size though. Seems kinda weird to market such a limited tool.

Banned
    I have a set of 20 ga dies for my RCBS Rockchucker. First let me say they are godawful slow for loading volume. With that said they load one of the finestness reloading shotshells I've ever seen. It does all the functions top rate. RCBS didn't lie to me and I called and asked about them. He said if you are only going to load a box or two for hunting they are good. But if you shoot volume get a dedicated shotshell loader.

I'll anwer any questions you have about these dies.

Joe

Starmetal---I'll answer any questions you have about these dies. What is the Rockwell number for the metal and how were they tempered?

Banned
    Well you got me there Ray.

Joe

Boolit Man
    RCBS bought the Lachmiller Shellsaver which is derived from the Redding tool which was morphed from one of their earlier loading presses.
    The tool sizes the base brass and rim, the rim in a collet. Pressing the case out of the die removes the primer, but the tool is not a loading tool. Huntington Die Specialties carries collets and parts, but not under warranty.
    RCBS shotshell dies were never a big seller, but are quite nice for low volume. I don't imagine their new shotshell press is selling like hotcakes either.
    Maybe I'd better get one for the collection before they go the way of the Green Machine.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross