RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger 357 LCR heavy use??

Boolit Master
    Yep, I used .38 loads to practice with the SP101. I would have purchased an LCR if they had been around back then. If I ever go back to field work (hiking/fishing) I'll get a 3" barrel LCRx.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    What is the best shooting bullet out of your 357 LCR?
    I haven't done any real testing to find which is best. I like the Lee 358-158RF.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The Lightweight Aluminum framed , 357 Magnum , J-frame revolver is not designed for extended shooting ... the aluminum will wear faster than steel . Ruger makes some hell for stout handguns and if shot with 38 special ammo will hold up for a while ... can't say how many rounds but ...it should be quite a lot ...
    If you want to use it in that way ...go for it . Ruger will take care of "normal" wear and tear and that includes shooting a lot .
    You buy Em' to shoot Em' ... when they wear out ... get them repaired !
    Gary
    I'm not sure which revolver you are referring to here since J frame is S&W (who AFAIK don't make an aluminum framed .357) and the Ruger (who also don't make an aluminum framed .357) LCR .357 has a stainless steel frame, unlike the .38 Special version which is aluminum.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Smith & Wesson makes two aluminum-framed 357 chambered revolvers that I am currently aware of the models 340 and 360.

How many 357's to wear out a scandium framed revolver with titanium cylinder??

I think from the design perspective durability is not the focus of ultra light guns.

Went shooting my 77-357 and 60-9, found a combination with 124 grain miha bullets sized 357 over 4227 that warrants further study. It shot especially well from the rifle, 4 shots into one hole with a nearby flyer.

First time it had done that with cast boolits I'm excited about that.

Boolit Master

A call to Ruger about durability under continuous 357 use might be helpful. If you do break it under 'normal' use they'd probably repair it for free (I wouldn't mention the handloads, but I wouldn't exceed book levels either).

My guess is your hand would wear out before the gun. I thought about dropping down in weight from a SP101. Found a recoil calculator and ran the math then decided I'd stick with the SP. I enjoy long range shooting (50-100 yards) with the 3". Developing a flinch would ruin my fun.
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 11-08-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Old thread and the poster doesn't mention the load, but claims 3000 rounds with no issues...

http://rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=180587

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Thanks silver creek farmer

Boolit Grand Master

You'd have to be really dedicated to put a lot of strong rounds through one. My LCR is a 327 federal, which recoil is still a good bit less than 357 magnum strong loads. Even then, after 50 rounds of strong 327 federal, I feel it. It's not like it hurts, but it's similar to shooting 41 magnum in a large frame gun. Even if I worked up to where I could shoot 50 rounds every week, that's only 2600 rounds a year at best. Nobody is going out with an LCR and shooting 300 rounds of full power 357 magnum in a day, at least not without developing the worst flinch possible.

So to answer your question, I doubt my LCR has 2000 rounds through it, but it's as good as the day I bought it. Everything measures the same, everything functions the same.

Love to see a revolver stretch its legs a bit. Thanks for posting the video.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

My favorite .357 revolver (full power loads) is a 15H Dan Wesson. It has a short hammer "fall", comfortable custom grips, and is tremendously accurate whether the loads are hand loads or factory. The 6" BBL moves the noise a bit further out and the weight is about right for day in day out shooting with this versatile caliber.

The 9mm in the shoots really well with the recoil about equal, or less, to a .38Spl. You do not have to use the moon clips for the gun to shoot, according to the factory; however, it will not eject fully every time unless the moon clips are employed.

The SP101 is the 2 1/2" BBL model that looks like the "Hammer of Thor" when fired (egads, the fire out front is fearsome!). It is surprisingly accurate, even with the short barrel. Adding a Crimson Trace laser site just makes it more formidable without creating a "holster" problem.

Boolit Master

I would be interested in a documented 500rnd test with factory .357 Magnum 158gr jacketed bullet loads. You would probably have to get more than one tester or do it over several sessions. Anyone see such a test on the inter-web?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a Ruger LCR and doing a lot of close range rapid fire drills with speed loaders, keith bullets, and h110
    FWIW,
    I was considering getting a 357 mag LCR....until I shot one.
    I rented and shot a LCR and a SP101 at the range and what a difference!
    Because of the lighter weight of the LCR, it almost jumped out of my hand when I fired some 357 mags out of it.
    The SP101, built a bit "stouter", was easier to manage.
    I ended up buying a 2-1/4" SP101.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 3" lcrx in 357 and I'm curious. I haven't run anything hot through it yet just some light 38 handloads sized at .358. What are any of yall sizing your boolits at? I haven't had a chance to do any real accuracy testing with it but it seems to shoot fine without leading. My load is a 150gr Keith type boolit backed up with 4gr of 231. It's a tackdriver in all of my Smiths but not accurate at all.in my gp100.

Boolit Master
    Size cast to be a slight slip fit in your throats on any revolver...........use a pencil or wooden dowel. My LCR will take bullets at .360 diameter.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Size cast to be a slight slip fit in your throats on any revolver...........use a pencil or wooden dowel. My LCR will take bullets at .360 diameter.

Winelover
    Thanks winelover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12