Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Loading the classic .30 Remington questions.

Boolit Man

Loading the classic .30 Remington questions.

May have a good deal on a Remington 14 in 30 Rem caliber coming my way.
    Of course, ammo is scarce AND expensive. Have access to a hundred new/once fired cases too.

Die sets are not availible from the usual sources.

Is it possible to resize 30 rem with a 30/30 Winchester FL size die ?
    Or is a dedicated 30 Rem die needed ?

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    While I have seen a variety of opinions on this subject, I used to use 30 WCF dies (a dedicated set) and had zero problems. I did get an actual set of dies for 30 Remington but it's not any better as far as I can tell.
    The brass is actually not as difficult to find as one may think, Graf's oftentimes has it in stock. I actually enjoy converting brass, and have made it from a variety of parent cases - 32 Remington, 6.8 SPC, 30 WCF, etc.
    This is a video that does a decent job of explaining how to convert 30 WCF to 30 Remington. The second is one that I enjoyed watching also, interesting presenter!
    https://youtu.be/CjyyQWXQfjg

https://youtu.be/q1sJ8QQZr-o

Hope you get the rifle!! Sounds like a fun project.

(Others will likely speak about shoulder length and difference - I found that fire forming the first time allowed me to set my dies according)
    Last edited by cwtebay; 11-02-2021 at 11:03 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    30 Rem and 30-30 share data and that works well , at least it does in the 32 Rem .

Honestly if you can get away with just neck sizing use a 308 die .
    The 30 Rem and 30-30 aren't the same shape the 30 Rem is closer to a 30-30AI with a Weatherby shoulder . A 300 Savage sizer would actually get more of the neck . Use a 40 S&W bulge buster for body sizing .

Huntington's has a set it you have to pay the custom premium which makes them about the same price as fitted CH sets .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have a 30 Rem M141, about 10 years now. I now have a set of 30 Rem dies but have loaded with 30-30 dies and a Lee classic(whack a mole) in 30-30 everything I’ve shot. The shoulder angle is different, therefore the full length sizing is touchy with 30-30. I just back it off a turn and neck size. I don’t push max loads so have yet to need to FL size for my rifle. If you are going to play with other dies like 300S or 308 note that’s the 30rem has a thinner case neck wall like the 30-30. 30-30 dies will work fine if you are using 1 gun, starting with brass that will chamber, and just neck size. I grabbed the 30Rem dies when the showed up because they are plumb scarce and I might need to FL size something down the road.

I thought 6.8spc was shorter, by a lot. How is that conversion done? Guy at the club has some 6.8 for sale.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have a 30 Rem M141, about 10 years now. I now have a set of 30 Rem dies but have loaded with 30-30 dies and a Lee classic(whack a mole) in 30-30 everything I’ve shot. The shoulder angle is different, therefore the full length sizing is touchy with 30-30. I just back it off a turn and neck size. I don’t push max loads so have yet to need to FL size for my rifle. If you are going to play with other dies like 300S or 308 note that’s the 30rem has a thinner case neck wall like the 30-30. 30-30 dies will work fine if you are using 1 gun, starting with brass that will chamber, and just neck size. I grabbed the 30Rem dies when the showed up because they are plumb scarce and I might need to FL size something down the road.

I thought 6.8spc was shorter, by a lot. How is that conversion done? Guy at the club has some 6.8 for sale.
    It absolutely is a lot shorter! It was a gun show purchase and I went through with the conversion anyway. The neck ended up nearly non-existent. I did try to extend some with tubing as described - it is functional, but very short lived and pretty labour intensive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk