Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Ramsey Approves

Boolit Buddy
    we paid off our modest home in 1998. It opens a lot of doors, vacations,trips,RVs,etc!
    BigBoreShooter

Boolit Grand Master

Paid off our house several years ago, too. Last 18 year loan was paid off in 9 years. Bank lost a lot of money on our house - paid it off with way less interest than they expected.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

My mortgage payment is my only debt. Refinanced a year or so ago and my interest rates is very low. Not worth paying off yet (15 year on refi) as I believe interest rates will be increasing. Funds are in a retirement account if I kick the bucket so kids would get it free and clear.

Congratulations ! Just love Dave Ramsey. If our Federal government only took his advice.

Boolit Master

we have done the ramsey thing since before we knew of dave ramsey with a few exceptions, we use a points credit card for all purchases and pay it off every month so no interest but we get the points, most of my primer and powder stash was all free by using the points.

after your house is paid for you kind of get lax on being frugal, we have bought a lot of stuff that is nice to have but would never have bought if we had a mortgage.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    Congrats! It really does feel different when your house is paid off.

The wife and I became 100% debt free in February of 2020. It took us 8 years to get there. One side effect that I never really thought about until it happened was the ability to easily quit a job I hated and to take some time to find something else I liked even though it paid less.

Congratulations. Very satisfying to be free of debt. At this point you have a great deal of latitude. I used my clear home to buy a farm, build a new house, then sold the old house, paid off the note, plus put money in the bank. Debt free again.
    Be smart with the funds, a clear home is money, in a different form.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations! It feels good don't it?

We paid ours off a few years ago. We paid the Wife's Expedition off last week, 2 years early.

Boolit Grand Master
    The other side is not pretty...

I have a friend who is 72, and works side jobs when he can. They still have a mortgage and some years they cannot pay their property taxes on time (less than $1000).

He made good money when he was younger and his wife worked too...but they pissed most of it away. No retirement account and no savings...living week to week and sometimes day to day.

His wife still has the attitude, "Everything will work out...it always has".
    Don Verna

We paid ours off some years ago, then I began putting 25% of my gross pay into retirement. That was very smart, aside from normal monthly bills and food, etc. all I owe is tax's and car/home insurance as pesty bills. I'm retired and doing what I want, and not doing what I don't like! I say. keep your money out of the banker's hands, invest in gold, silver, brass, lead ordinance grade steel, walnut, and other precious minerals like powder and primers. Short term bonds are a good hedge, but keep an amount of cash on hand. Banks ain't worth it at .05%, doesn't even keep up with inflation.

Boolit Buddy

You run with good company.. good for you and your home.

Boolit Buddy

I have a friend who is 72, and works side jobs when he can. They still have a mortgage and some years they cannot pay their property taxes on time (less than $1000).

He made good money when he was younger and his wife worked too...but they pissed most of it away. No retirement account and no savings...living week to week and sometimes day to day.

Sadly, this is more common than people who were financially responsible during their lives. I know a few people in their 60's with nope hope of retiring anytime soon.
    I have 7 engineers working for me, I tell them constantly to invest 20% of their pay. A few of young ones listen and should easily retire millionaires.

Boolit Master
    We paid ours off earlier this year. Wife and I both drive 20-year-old Fords which aided us in sometimes doubling or tripling the monthly payment. Of course, we reload to save money, too and with two shooters that helps! GF

Boolit Master
    Congrats, a solid accomplishment!
    But wait there’s more, or at least there should be. You’re way ahead of most, what’s the next financial goal?

Boolit Master
    We should have our house paid off by the time I'm 45, and every year that gets a bit closer. Can't wait for that day, I feel like we should throw a party when the time comes.

Hopefully that will be the last debt we ever incur. No point in taking out a loan to buy a car unless you have no other choice... it's not like any new car is going to do the job better than my existing one, and it's almost always a better plan to just maintain what you have than to buy something new.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

The very thought of that terrifies me, to have nothing between you and a few bits of bad luck. I really don't understand how people can tolerate it, I would live on ramen and cold water for a year to get out of a situation like that. To have no control...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    My parents and grandparents taught me the idea that Ramsey espouses. Don't owe a penny, never have. Paid cash for my land, and materials to build my cabin. Never took out a car loan, and never had a credit card.
    I paid $500+$300 in back taxes for my house on a tax auction. 20' tall brush around it, missing some windows and a door... brush hogged the yard twice, cut down 3 trees that were up against the house causing damage, moved some good windows from the north side of the house and boarded up the holes I took them from(saves me a bundle on heat, north windows in MN are stupid! And only 1 lit up a living space), replaced the door, shot/chased out the critters that had set up shop inside the house... did a deep clean then started remodeling. I room or project at a time as I could afford it. I bought a window every payday and when I had enough to do the whole house replaced all the old ones. Then did the same with siding, bought and stockpiled some every payday... went on to the interior with gut, wire/plumbing(I can do both, saved $$), insulate, drywall... eventually had the entire house done for under $20k in materials. I don't count my sweat equity... want to get ahead sweat a little!

Boolit Master

A local financial advisor has a radio show that’s a thinly disguised infomercial every Sunday afternoon. He recently espoused that paying off a house is a way that poor people think. He went on to demonstrate how people should invest instead of paying off a mortgage. I thought and still think the advice was terrible even though the reasoning was sound for people that already have deep pockets. Then I realized that we were doing exactly what he suggested. If investments are growing at a rate much larger than the cost of the mortgage it makes no sense to take funds out of the investments to pay off the mortgage and reduce the return. Everything else including cars are bought without financing a penny.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast