Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can one little mouse do this?

Boolit Grand Master

A good friend of mines Dad was a self employed exterminator and we would go with him when he worked around grain bins. He had an old fashioned bellows and would pump some kind of white powder into the mouse holes. Me and my Buddy would sit on the tailgate and shoot the mice with 22's as they evacuated their holes. Lots and lots of fun. I don't know what the powder was but its probably been outlawed today.

Boolit Master
    There's a you tube channel "Customer States" one episode Customer was getting no heat/AC when the cabin filter was checked it was full of food that a mouse stashed in it. The mechanic had to vacuum out the filter housing it was packed solid.

Boolit Master

One mouse is like 1 mosquito bite! NO such thing!

Boolit Master

I like to prevent trap with lots of sticky traps baited with peanut butter. Better to stay ahead of the little suckers.

Boolit Master

Saw a film about exterminators in NYC. they had sticky pads that were 3 feet x 3 feet. Guy put one in a basement under a stairwell. Next morning there were a hundred mice on it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    This is a real head scratcher.
    A couple days ago, I saw the flash of a little field mouse run for cover when I went into the garage,
    and my bag of wild bird seed had a hole in it and seeds scattered around it.
    So, I set out a trap and caught the little demon.

We have a 2002 Ford Explorer that is kept inside the garage. Windows up, doors closed, as is the garage door.
    Usually, it doesn't get driven more than once every week or so.
    Today, I vacuumed out the inside and changed the oil.

Little specks of paper towel were all over the floor in the back seat scattered around my roll of paper towels.
    The car is in almost the same condition as when we bought it almost new.
    There's no way a mouse could get inside the passenger compartment......
    but that has to be what chewed up the paper towels.

After I changed the oil, I checked the other stuff under the hood, including the air filter in its box.
    A bunch of the exact same kind and size of paper towel shreds were inside the box/chamber for the air filter.

Over the years, I've seen rats & squirrels nest up in engine compartments-- but not get inside or in a air filter.
    I don't see how the little critter could have made several trips back & forth inside the car, and inside the air filter.

Can field mice beam themselves around like the transporter on Star Trek?
    Bad smell in wife's Neon a few years back . Dead baby mice in the air filter . Guess Mom was out looking for food when the car was moved !

Squirrels ate the wires going to the electric fuel pump twice on our old Plymouth K-car ! Wiring must taste good.

Boolit Bub

I don't know how well known this little fact is , But for the last 25 years or so , most of the automotive wire originates overseas. Unfortunately they specifications for the insulation coating on all automotive wire in the car/truck wiring harnesses is made from and edible soy based product that rodents will eat . Short of opening a new car hood and spraying a capricine/hot pepper liquid on the harness , there isn't a lot one can do , short of mouse trapping season year round !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jbiker View Post
    I don't know how well known this little fact is , But for the last 25 years or so , most of the automotive wire originates overseas. Unfortunately they specifications for the insulation coating on all automotive wire in the car/truck wiring harnesses is made from and edible soy based product that rodents will eat . Short of opening a new car hood and spraying a capricine/hot pepper liquid on the harness , there isn't a lot one can do , short of mouse trapping season year round !!!
    Close...

It was actually introduced around 2010 or so by Toyota and Honda. Domestics followed soon after. There has been a massive class-action lawsuit against Toyota and it lost.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Strangest I have seen was a large mouse nest in the air filter box of the neighbors car.
    We back up to a bean field and mice are a normal occurrence here.

But this car was a daily driver, 7 days a week, only sitting at night.
    I guess the mice enjoyed the fresh breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Strangest I have seen was a large mouse nest in the air filter box of the neighbors car.
    We back up to a bean field and mice are a normal occurrence here.

But this car was a daily driver, 7 days a week, only sitting at night.
    I guess the mice enjoyed the fresh breeze.

The mice found a place that was safe from owls and cats.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    The mice found a place that was safe from owls and cats.
    And the coyotes.

But they could have used the garages, my storage boxes or even my mustang like the normal mice did every fall.
    The upscale ones would even move inside with us.

Nope, these mice suffered from wanderlust, traveling Mouseketeers. Maybe they pretended they were in an old open cockpit airplane.

Boolit Buddy
    Thankfully, my one and only experience with automotive related mouse encounters was my Chevy S-10 diesel. A mouse built a nest inside the air cleaner housing. Never figured out how it got past the air filter.

Anyway, started the diesel. It ran for a couple of seconds before the vacuum pulled the nest apart and wound up in the intake valves.

The truck was given to me after my divorce, so I made money when I sold it for scrap,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123