Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Crazy Question PC and lube

Boolit Master

Crazy Question PC and lube

I PC Coat and then size my boolits through a Star sizer. Would there be any advantage or effect if I went ahead and add lubed in the lube groove? Anyone tried it?
    I know it is like wearing a belt with suspenders but with the shake and bake method the coating is not always nice and even. Would both provide a better seal ? Could a higher velocity be achieved by using both? Better accuracy eliminating fliers?

I've done it, and usually do it for my 454 casull. I like the pc for color coding, but not sure it provides enough lubrication for the 454 casull, even though they're gas checked too.

I haven't really proved it to be necessary, nor have any negative impact on anything

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Sometimes I powder coat my bullets twice. When they look good it makes me happy.

A while ago I tested pc vs traditional lube in my 10mm. The traditional lube was slower, but the velocity was more consistent. Pc was faster but less consistent, and I size after pc, so maybe that hair of a thou the lead was smaller was part of a reason for that. I didn't test accuracy

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    One & done for me. Never had any need to double coat or lube my PC boolits. They work perfectly right out of the oven, after cooling of course!

You should do some testing with PC and the lube you are talking about. Some HC compounds in lubes could soften the PC over time and degrade everything you attempted with the PC. Just test some for yourself and see.

It's like some powders can soften the PC on boolits and stick to the base over time. If I remember TightGroup is notorious for that. Never had any problems with powder on the base. Now that I ESPC everything, there is no powder on the base!

I would not waste my time lubing PC'd boolits! The call is yours.

Boolit Master

I had (years ago) lubed commercially purchased Hi-Tek coated 44 mag bullets because I was getting leading. The lube didn't help, other than making loading more messy. In my case the commercial bullets were undersized and the root cause for the leading.

I have wondered if lubing properly sized PC'd bullets would allow them to be pushed faster than otherwise possible/recommended, but then I remembered my feeble old joints don't particularly enjoy wrist breaker loads like they used to.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Waste of time , either lube or powder coat , pick your style and go , But if you want go ahead and do the trials and experiment , make sure all are shot the same load same crimp same size .

Powder coat 100 lube a 100 powder coat and lube a 100 , try it and see , I will just powder coat and shoot , no issues so no need to try another step .

Boolit Master
    I've done it and was able to compare just lube, PC, and PC and lube on the same bullets. Over a few sessions I shot the comparison and I seem to remember the PC and lube edged out the other two by a small margin. The revolver used was a FA83 in 357 Magnum using a Leupold 2.5-8 and it is accurate with just about anything.

I did the test just to see what would happen. I do know that after the testing was done, I just PC now and call it great so for me it wasn't enough of an "improvement".

There's no reason to not try it and see. I enjoy testing and like to look for magic recipes. I'm still looking....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flintnfire View Post
    waste of time , either lube or powder coat , pick your style and go , but if you want go ahead and do the trials and experiment , make sure all are shot the same load same crimp same size .

Powder coat 100 lube a 100 powder coat and lube a 100 , try it and see , i will just powder coat and shoot , no issues so no need to try another step .
    ^^^this 100% ^^^
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw