WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 500 Smith and Wesson mold suggestions?

Boolit Man

500 Smith and Wesson mold suggestions?

I have been perusing all the mold manufacturers web sites to see what they offer for the 50 calibers with an eye to finding a light to midweight plinker bullet for my 500 Smith and Wesson revolver. This gun (a Performance Center model with a 7.5-inch barrel and UltraDot sight) is incredibly accurate with jacketed bullets at 100 yards (best 5 shot group with 400 grain Sierra jacketed comes in at 1.25").

I think I would like to stay in the 350 to 400-grain weight to hold down recoil and be more economical than the heavyweight 500-grain bullets. Accurate Molds has the largest selection listed and HP and NOE have a few. Lee has one that comes in at 440 grains with a GC. I probably would prefer a plain base bullet and I plan to powder coat them.

For those members who shoot and cast for this caliber, I would be interested in what you are using and what diameter you are sizing them to, I will of course slug my barrel and cylinders before I proceed but just wanted to get some ideas from members so I can at least get the mold ordered.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Boolit Man
    Did more searching and found this recent posting

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight-load-quot

Boolit Master
    Tried a 300 grain gas check from accurate in my lever gun. Power pistol got done decent accurate. A 350 grain gas check had better accuracy with power pistol and AL8. An NOE 400 grain semi wadcutter plain base is what I shoot in my four inch cast with a cup nose. Outstanding bullet. Also the NOE version of the Lee is interesting. I shoot the hollow point version mostly. It weighs 435 and is a real killer. My 450 Keith gas check that ballisti cast made is another very accurate and very good bison killer. And the mihec 400 grain round flat with the fun pins is another good one. The Corder 400 grain Keith from accurate molds shoots well. I’ve only shot a few, seems to be good.