Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Loads for heavy boolits in 358 Winchester

Boolit Mold

Loads for heavy boolits in 358 Winchester

I am considering getting a new mold for my 358 Winchester. I was thinking of a bullet weight between 250 and 300 gr. and would like to get it flying around the 2000fps mark. But I am having difficulties finding load data for this combo. Is there anybody that has some information/load data?

I sometimes shoot mine with #358009, 300gr roundnose, with a case full of 3031. It gives good performance and according to Quickload can't produce dangerous pressures. Sure does hit hard! Of course the actual powder charge will depend on how your particular rifle is throated and the magazine length compared to the bullet you're using.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks a lot for the answer! Interesting. Sadly I cant get 3031 powder in Norway. But an interesting datapoint!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had good luck with WC852(F), IF you can find it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've had good luck with WC852(F), IF you can find it.
    Thanks again But, unfortunately, Winchester powders are also unawailable in Norway. We can get some Hodgdon powders but mostly I use Vihtavouri, Lovex and Norma.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My answer with the RCBS 35-250 over 10% from full to the neck shoulder with IMR 4350 isn't going to help much either . It was the go to powder for many belted mags 30 yr ago now it's just a hohum touchy about the cold dinosaur .

I wish I could remember seems like one of those is named Magnum Rifle .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    Anybode else have any experience loading heavy boolits in the 358 Winchester?

No 358, but I have loaded the 3589 to 1900 fps in a 356 Winchester.
    Tony

Norma 203b might have potential if data can be found.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    No 358, but I have loaded the 3589 to 1900 fps in a 356 Winchester.
    Tony
    Would you be willing to share the load data? Did you have to seat the bullet past the crimp groove?

Stig; I’ll try to look it up tonight when I get home. I do remember it fed from the magazine with no problem.
    Tony

Boolit Master

This thread caught my eye because Iwill shortly be sending a Remington 700 to JES for rebore to .358 Win. You mention that you can obtain Lovex powders. I've had very good results with Shooter's World 'Buffalo Rifle' - a relabled Lovex powder - with heavy boolits in the .308 Win which is the parent case of your .358. Around 26-27 gr. under a powder-coated 196 gr. boolit chronos at 2005 fps with an SD under 20 and prints near MOA groups @ 100 yds from my heavy-barrel Savage M10.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Would you be willing to share the load data? Did you have to seat the bullet past the crimp groove?
    I was around 47-49 gr. I think. I built my own rifles, so relieved the throats to accept the longer bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!