Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 7.62 x 39 SKS

Boolit Man

7.62 x 39 SKS

So I am getting setup to cast for the above Rifle. I slugged the barrel out to .311. I have the Lee C312-155-2R mold. I plan on powder coating them and gas checking them.
    I was going to size them on my APP press. To that end I got to looking for a .312 sizing die for the APP. found one on the lee web page as a custom over-run . After trying to order it online only to find that they wont ship to NV. Called on the phone and finally convinced them that the custom over-run cant be bought any where else the them. The lady on the phone grudgingly agreed to sell it to me. it arrived today and is a .300 die. Not happy at all!
    I will call them tomorrow and see about getting it corrected. I hope it won't be a problem.
    Just had to vent some.

On a more interesting note I have a gas check die set on the way.
    looking forward to trying it.
    Mel W.

Boolit Master
    Not exactly your situation, but I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, and it has the European spec chamber (CPI, not SAAMI). I assume the SKS is the same. Anyway, I use the 312-155 GC as well and it works very nicely. I am sizing to 0.311.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I loaded cast for the vz-58, SKS and CZ 527M for years and found the NOE 129 grainer to be the absolute best, powdercoated and gas checked, sized to .311. AA#1680 worked extremely well.

Boolit Master
    I did cast bullet work using several bullets in two new SKSs I bought about thirty years ago. Both guns shot cast loads with surprising accuracy, especially considering the horrible trigger and crude open sights. Accuracy was notably better than with jacketed bullets and I tried a lot of them. I never slugged the bores on either carbine, but bullets sized to either .312" or .313" seemed to work best, though a hard bullet (about 16 BHN or a little more) would shoot well sized at .311".

I never did really like the SKSs and got rid of them. I began using a Ruger bolt-action 7.62x39. Bores in these guns were allegedly about .310", I think. Mine continues to shoot quite accurately with .311" ww bullets. My favorite has been the Lyman 200 grain #314299 and a HP version of the same loaded to around 1700 fps. I don't recall trying the heavy bullets in the SKSs and am not sure that would work.

I知 shooting the Lee 155gr lube grooved and the Lee 160gr tumble lube version in 7.62x39. They池e both powder coated and copper gas checked. In my case sized to .311. Lead is a Lyman #2 approximation. You are probably looking to size to .313 if Lee will make you one. I知 loading mine in Berdan primed steel cases that at this point have probably been reloaded a dozen times for a bolt rifle. Accuracy is crazy good. I知 2moa at 200yds wallowing around on sand bags. I知 running a little soft at between 1600-1700fps chronoed.

Boolit Master

In my Romanian SKS I primarily shoot two cast projectiles. The NOE 129 gr. SP and the NOE 150 gr. Ranch Dog. I have also shot the Lee 155 gr. SP in it (and it shoots well) but I prefer the Ranch Dog.

In the pic below L to R:

NOE 129 gr. SP (a cull I GC'd and sized as a sample)

LEE 155 gr. GC'd/sized/PC'd

NOE 150 gr. Ranch Dog GC'd/sized/PC'd

NOE 129 gr. SP Loaded

NOE 150 gr. RD loaded

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	762x39 cast.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	291059

Boolit Master

Accurate makes a 150 flat point which you can order in the exact diameter your rifle needs. In addition the one linked to, this is also available in gas check.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=31-150T

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the input guys. I worked it out with lee and got the .312 sizer die. I am just waiting on the gas check dies. The maker says he has a back log because of supply issues.
    Might have to order some checks from Sage's Outdoors. If he has any in stock.
    Mel