Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you ask a CCI employee?

Boolit Master

What would you ask a CCI employee?

Found out that we are getting a new employee tonight. She previously worked down in Lewiston, ID at the plant that makes the primers, ammo, bullets, etc. for CCI/Speer. I think it's called Orbital ATK.

She was there for 14 years, so should have some interesting insights into the supply and manufacture of ammunition and components.

Can't wait to pick her brain on the current shortage.

Anyone have any specific questions they want me to ask her?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Why do they make both the #550 and #400 primers when even CCI admits they are the same primer?

Do they still get the bulk packs of 22 ammo that are 500 cartons taped and filled for $5.00?
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Do you have a room full of small pistol primers you would sell?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Ask her if she knows"One Piece at a Time" and lived it. Then ask her to dinner depending on her answer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I have plenty of primers and .22’s. If she was attractive, I might have a few questions.
    Don Verna

Banned
    the shortage is primarily being created by the industry.

Do you HONESTLY believe that 22 rimfire for example is going to be un findable if the factories are making it at the production they claim?

federal claimed they still had every round of 9mm rimmed in storage in 2010....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post

Do you HONESTLY believe that 22 rimfire for example is going to be un findable if the factories are making it at the production they claim?

The ONLY ammo setting in Federal warehouses is for one reason and one reason only. That would be a shortage of truckers. My sources are Jason Vanderbrink President of Ammunition for Vista Outdoor and interacting with numerous Federal employees on a weekly basis.

Currently Federal is running 24/7 and if possible they do maintenance on the machines when they are running. Unlimited overtime and the employee company story is mostly closed. They do have stoppages due to material shortages.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, and 9mm Rimmed was withdrawn from the market because it fit in the old 38 S&W revolvers. Probably the definition of a bad idea. So, if any are left I'm sure they are stashed somewhere.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Our lgs got a mess of .22 rimfire in. So much that there was no limit. I have plenty so I didn't buy any. Will have to stop by and see if they have primers. Have not been there in over a month.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post

Would you elaborate on why creating a shortage is good for the companies that produce stuff? I cannot wrap my head around that.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Why do they make both the #550 and #400 primers when even CCI admits they are the same primer?
    If that's the case it's just a package difference.

It keeps people who don't know they are the same from bombing their email and phone lines with stupid questions.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yeah, and 9mm Rimmed was withdrawn from the market because it fit in the old 38 S&W revolvers. Probably the definition of a bad idea. So, if any are left I'm sure they are stashed somewhere.
    I am surprised that Federal has not destroyed any remaining stocks.

https://john1911.com/9mm-federal/

This is one of those cartridge screw-ups you just have to laugh at because it’s so obvious in hindsight. Back in the late 1980s, Federal decided shooters needed a revolver cartridge that duplicated the ballistics of the 9mm Luger pistol cartridge. I don’t blame them—the 9mm was a hot commodity back then.

Ballistically, there really wasn’t much one could gain over .38 Special +P loads with a rimmed 9mm. One argument for the new cartridge though was that if there was a rimmed version of the 9mm Luger, like there is for the .45 ACP (.45 Auto Rim), guns could be made with a shorter length cylinder, making them overall smaller and lighter.

Unfortunately, the 9mm Federal (left) is so close to the old .38 S&W (right) that a potentially dangerous situation exists.
    Enter the 9mm Federal—a rimmed 9mm revolver cartridge that sent a 115-grain JHP at 1,280 fps. Charter Arms made a Pit Bull revolver for it, but left the cylinder full-length, so nothing was gained over a .38 Special as far as the gun size was concerned.

Unfortunately for Federal, it was AFTER the cartridge was introduced and put in production when someone’s light bulb came on. The 9mm Federal has almost the same cartridge dimensions as the old .38 S&W. There are a whole lot of old top-break revolvers chambered for the .38 S&W, and that cartridge operates at a much lower pressure. The 9mm Federal cartridge fits in .38 S&W chambers and, because of the very real possibility that someone could fire 9mm Federal in an old top-break revolver resulting in a KaBoom!, the cartridge was dropped in the early 1990s.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-28-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I saw a few 100 packs of CCI LR "OEM" primers for sale at a store the other day. $12/100. I've never seen those before, what's that about?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    just curious......wont a 38 super fit in a 38 special cylinder??????

Boolit Master

The former CCI employee in question is still in training, so I haven't been able to converse with her much.

I was able to ask why she left her former job and she responded that she was tired of being asked to fill 5 different job functions with no increase in pay.

I remarked that I thought they paid pretty well down there and she scoffed. She said the work atmosphere was so toxic, that new employees couldn't decipher if the treatment they were getting was genuine dysfunctional abuse, or just normal hazing.

The town of Lewiston, ID is infamous for being an epicenter of white trash idiocy and failure, so the reports that an ammo manufacturer located there is rife with dysfunctional business practices and employees is not surprising.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

We will never know if she was mistreated or if it was a personal issue.
    I hesitate to judge a company on the word of one disgruntled employee.
    i am not doubting what she says but just saying.

Boolit Master
    RE: 38 ACP in a 38 SPCL, yes it can be done. Was on the range a few years ago and two elderly gentlemen were having problem ejecting cases in a SW M10, case would slip past the extractor. Went to see if I could help and found they were shooting 38 Super, thinking it was same as 38 SPCL. Apparently being semi-rimmed there was enough rim to catch on the extractor and hold it against the firing pin blow.

Boolit Buddy
    I would ask if "They" made brass for Speer and how long to took to set up a new run for a different size? Reason I ask is there are some runs, 303 Savage for example that are only made one every 5 years. It is near impossible to find.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    RE: 38 ACP in a 38 SPCL, yes it can be done. Was on the range a few years ago and two elderly gentlemen were having problem ejecting cases in a SW M10, case would slip past the extractor. Went to see if I could help and found they were shooting 38 Super, thinking it was same as 38 SPCL. Apparently being semi-rimmed there was enough rim to catch on the extractor and hold it against the firing pin blow.
    I think that must be more common than we think. Picking brass up at a local range almost always yields 38 Super brass, and inevitably you can see the distinctive mark of multiple failed ejections on several. I really didn't notice it as it's not a caliber I shoot, but I traded to a buddy who brought it to my attention.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast