Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Accurate 2400 and Blue Dot...how close are they?

Boolit Master

Accurate 2400 and Blue Dot...how close are they?

I see that they are right next to each other in the burn chart. Has anyone used Blue Dot instead of 2400? I know that alot of reduced velocity cast bullet loads use 2400, and I have a couple pounds of BD that might just be the ticket. Thanks.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Blue dot is the balls. Do not use 2400 data, they are totally different powders. Find data in the Lyman manual and use that.

Its probably better in pistols than rifles, but who knows.

David

Have used Blue Dot for many years in 357 and 44 condom loads at full pressure and velocity. I have always gotten a very clean burn without overpressure signs on the cartridge casings. Easy extraction as well. Have not used it YET for CB but who knows what the future will bring?

Lead.

In Remebrance

Blue Dot and Green dot both have some good applications with various plstforms. 2400 tends to be more availble though. Let us know what you find out.

Boolit Bub
    I have used Blue Dot as the most accurate powder in a number of applications. In pistol cast bullets loads it is good from 9mm to 45 Colt, and in rifle cast loads it is useful starting with 22 Hornet, and in the extreme application the most accurate in my 375 H&H is 23 gr. Blue Dot behind 265 gr. Lyman bullet. A light load that is pleasant to shoot, but if I get the bill of my hat between me and the scope, some recoil is apparent. Go to the Alliant site and there is an abundance of information for jacketed loads. I start low and work into a load that is acceptable for cast. Some folks feel Blue Dot becomes pressure sensitive in cold weather, I have not experienced that. Alliant will not answer my inquiries about this so I assume it is a non issue. The Lee manual has some loads also.
    NRA life

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a lot of 2400, and some Blue Dot. That said, there is no interchangability between the two. If I were limited to the numbers of powder that I keep on hand for shooting cast, 2400 would be very high on the list and maybe on top. Blue Dot on the other hand would be a fair way down the list. With Blue Dot, it depends a lot on when and if I can find it on sale.
    1Shirt

Boolit Grand Master

RVP; depends how complete your burn rate chart is, they are seperated by quite afew numbers, with BD being faster
    94-blue dot-Alliant
    95-#9 Acc
    96-Steel-Alliant
    97-enforcer-Ramshot
    98-longshot-Hod
    99-BA6- Vectan
    100-P806-RWS
    101-2400 -Alliant

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    BlueDot and 2400 are very far apart. Half way in between would be WW630, now extinct. We definitely need a curfrent powder in between these two powders. All the powders in that list are approximately 2400 speed, except the BlueDot. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 01-08-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Felix; same chart shows that W630 is NOT between Bluedot and 2400, but faster than BlueDot
    90-w630-win
    91-w630P-win
    92-N105SM-Vihtavuori
    93-#7-Acc
    94-Bluedot-Alliant
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    101-2400-Alliant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix
    BlueDot and 2400 are very far apart. Half way in between would be WW630, now extinct. We definitely need a curfrent powder in between these two powders. All the powders in that list are approximately 2400 speed, except the BlueDot. ... felix
    You're absolutely right. My Lyman 48th isn't very up to date, even though I just bought it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Kevin

Boolit Master

I have not used Blue Dot in cast rifle but a lot in handgun with excellent results. In the magnum pistols with 358429 and 429421 I can run 1200-1300 fps with no pressure problems and accuracy as good as 2400 or 296 with less powder. It is very accurate in the 9mm with the Lee 121 and 153 at 1200 fps with the former and 1000fps with the latter and very little leading. I tried Blue dot in the beginning because the powder measure on my progressive press would bind up with fine ball powders and was looking for something inexpensive for the magnums. It cost me $13./lb in the 5 lb. keg and with the lower magnum charge weights it's fairly economical. I like it! Nick

I like it also. Used it today, in fact. 14.5 grains in the 44 mag with the group buy (3 crimp groove) boolits is a sure knockout at 100ert. I would entertain a group buy for this BlueDot powder, provided we could get that Hazmat fee eradicated to make it worth while. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 01-08-2006 at 08:10 PM.
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    Another Bluedot fan here. I use it in everything from 9mm to .454. Especially shines in the .44 magnum, but it is considerably faster burning than 2400.

Boolit Master

Current loads for rifles with Blue Dot from Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook
    Name - bullet weight - Min/Max
    221 Rem Fireball - 45 - 7.0/9.0
    221 Rem Fireball - 50 - 7.5/9.7
    375 H&H Magnum - 250 - 17.0/24.5
    375 H&H Magnum - 270 - 17.0/23.5
    44 Rem Mag (rifle) - 180 - 14.0/21.0
    44 Rem Mag (rifle) - 205 - 14.0/19.5
    44 Rem Mag (rifle) - 215 - 14.0/19.5
    44 Rem Mag (rifle) - 232 - 14.0/18.5
    44 Rem Mag (rifle) - 245 - 14.0/17.5
    44 Rem Mag (rifle) - 250 - 14.0/17.5
    444 Marlin - 205 - 15.0/20.0
    444 Marlin - 215 - 15.0/20.0
    444 Marlin - 232 - 15.0/19.5
    444 Marlin - 245 - 14.5/19.0
    444 Marlin - 250 - 14.5/19.0

Sounds like not many have developed loads for this powder in rifles.

I'm been using Red Dot and have been happy about the number of loads built for this powder in cast bullets. Perhaps a purchase of a pound or two might be worthwhile for you.

Bruce

Guaranteed that chart is wrong in placing 630 not between BlueDot and 2400. It is correct in saying that N105 and BlueDot are kissing cousins. ... felix
    felix

Hey there, guys, how y'all doin? From my own test data I determined that Blue Dot is substantially faster than 2400, although they have many applications in common where either will work just fine - - - of course using the correct powder charge for each. I have used Blue Dot in 12# shotshell slug loads but I have not tried 2400 for 12# slugs, but I'll take a wild guess beforehand that it will be hard to get ignited since Blue Dot is that way in that particular application. I'll look into it one of these years or decades.

Blue Dot is my favorite 9mm Parabellum powder and 2400 WAS my favorite .357 Magnum powder for rifle loads until I discovered WC820 over at Hi-Tech. For my S&W Model 19 .357 Mag 6-inch barrel wheeliegun the 2400 does just fine.

In the old Lyman 46th handloader's manual both Blue Dot and 2400 have many, many applications for cast rifle loads listed. Those two powders are great and I have both on hand at my loading bench. A few years back when the news of a price increase leaked out I stocked up on Blue Dot and 2400, which is something that I do not regret!
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rvpilot76
    I see that they are right next to each other in the burn chart. Has anyone used Blue Dot instead of 2400? I know that alot of reduced velocity cast bullet loads use 2400, and I have a couple pounds of BD that might just be the ticket. Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin,

Obviously you now understand that these are not close to the same. I will add that their burn characteristics have been pretty linear across all the cartridges that I have used both powders for the same bullet design. (above freezing)

I really like BD for uses where top pressures aren't used. Like in my Smiths. I won't push them. The disadvantage that I have found in all my 44s is that it burns so clean that some bullet designs run out of lube at higher bore temperatures. This is really a failure of the lube, not the powder. I am just lazy and changing powder is preferable to changing lube.

Once the cold weather warnings were issued, my use of BD dropped considerably because I spend a lot of time out doors this time of year. Although I personally never saw any problem, why tempt fate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward
    Kevin,

Obviously you now understand that these are not close to the same. I will add that their burn characteristics have been pretty linear across all the cartridges that I have used both powders for the same bullet design. (above freezing)

I really like BD for uses where top pressures aren't used. Like in my Smiths. I won't push them. The disadvantage that I have found in all my 44s is that it burns so clean that some bullet designs run out of lube at higher bore temperatures. This is really a failure of the lube, not the powder. I am just lazy and changing powder is preferable to changing lube.

Once the cold weather warnings were issued, my use of BD dropped considerably because I spend a lot of time out doors this time of year. Although I personally never saw any problem, why tempt fate.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I have used blue dot in 45 Colt loads and .223 REM loads(very interesting), and I really like the powder. Like I said before, I had not used another manual for cross reference, and the Lyman 48th said that they were right next to each other. Glad everyone here on the board steered me straight. As a side note, I have been reloading for 12 years with never an accident or squib load; I see no reason to change that! Thanks again for everyone's input.

Kevin