RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Weekend scrap reprocessing.

Weekend scrap reprocessing.

Hi all, I just wanted to share what I did over the weekend. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine & I went to an indoor range at a club he is a member at and came home with 2 1/2 5gal buckets of range scrap. All of this is nothing but cast bullet scrap, they don't allow jacketed bullets to be used. The bullet trap is a sand pit so all we had to do was sift it through a screen. The bucket in the picture is the smallest of the 3. The weather was nice here yesterday so I did a little reprocessing, smelting as you call it. The 2nd picture is of the 44lbs of usable lead I got from it. Each ingot weights just a little under 2lbs. I just used a Coleman camp stove & an old 3 quart pot and it worked great. Now I just have to wait for another nice weekend and we'll process the other 2 and we should be good on castable lead for a while. Not too bad for a just a little digging.

Take care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1260.jpg   reclaimed lead.jpg  
    Take care, Moptop

Whereabouts in Missouri?

Just curious.

Super Moderator

................They look good and it's a fair start. If you get a BP rifle, you'll shoot that away in a couple weekends

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well count yourself lucky! If they catch you doing that at my Club,they will politely drum you out the gate!!! To never return! Digging for lead that is!

Buckshot, I have a BP rifle and a '58 revolver to boot, and yes, that revolver goes throught'em quick when your having fun.

Seagiant, my buddy checked in his "rule book" and nothing was mentioned that it was a no no so he's taking it on good faith that it's ok.

RN, If your in St. louis area then I'm only about 100 miles west of you in Columbia.
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Master
    Looks good. Without any jacketed, wouldn't it be about the same hardness as ww? Or maybe harder if it's all commercial. I've got a bunch of mixed I picked up at an outdoor range but haven't smelted any of it yet.

thanks MopTop for answering my question about your location

maybe it's because I am water quenching my bullets... I melt recovered bullets and wheelweights together... those bullets, I think are harder than anything commercially cast, as judged by my very scientific thumbnail press test.