WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which stock production passenger vehicle has the greatest range?

My F150 has a 36 gallon tank. Computer says my range is high 600, low 700s. I have the 3.5l.

A train has quite the range, and sort of an interior......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My 1995 Dodge 2500 2WD with 12V Cummins diesel and 5 speed trans will get 25MPG on the highway if you keep to the right lane. It has a 35 gallon tank and will take you 875 miles if you run it on fumes.

Pretty good but you cannot drive over 60-65. Push 70-75 so the RPM climbs and mileage falls to pieces. Note the national speed limit was still in place when the truck was produced so it is geared accordingly.

Boolit Buddy
    25 years ago, I had an older acquaintence in Eastern Ky, who had a daughter in Seattle, and a pretty fair Cadillac. His business partner said, when it was vacation time, he would typically call the first night out from the Minneapolis-St Paul area. The next night, his call would come from Seattle. Gas mileage and tank size aren't the only factors. Wow doesn't describe it!
    Probably a 20 hour day, and very straight roads, and a driving skill that was learned pushing Cadillac ambulances way past their limits on Eastern Ky roads in the 1950's and 60's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Well then, if you must have an interior, my 2015 Subaru crosstrek would get 43 mpg if I did my part and drove like an adult.
    Yup! Filled up in Manchester, IA yesterday (@$2.99/gal.), drove my 2019 CrossTrek back here, and still have well over a half-tank left on the gauge (16.5 gal. tank). Dashboard readout indicates slightly over 40 mpg. Realistically, I routinely get right around 500 miles to the tankfull in 'everyday driving' mode.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

My 2020 International LT625 has a 1200 mile or more range. Hey, its got a passenger seat and bunk beds so is a passenger vehicle, sort of?
    Last edited by jonp; 10-15-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    You can find a stock production semi that can do 1,000+ miles. They even have an interior.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    You can find a stock production semi that can do 1,000+ miles. They even have an interior.
    That would be my LT625
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Try this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	range.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	290264
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy
    My diesel pickup has enough range if you drive it empty that it's almost unbearable to run it from F to E in terms of the number of hours you can go. I can only imagine if it was 2wd and got even better than the 18-19 mpg it can get on flat ground unloaded, that it'd be even worse. I find it hard to believe any car, hybrid or not, can hang with 650+ miles of range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Try this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	range.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	290264
    Run a line from the 8,000 gallon fuel tank and you should be able to get 50,000 miles without too much effort.

Banned
    Not as helpful as usual here but still an interesting thread. I was just musing about how confounded the government might be by citizens with 1000 mi + autos stashed while the majority were putting around in electric golf carts with 300 mi max ranges and seven hour recharge times.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Run a line from the 8,000 gallon fuel tank and you should be able to get 50,000 miles without too much effort.

Would kinda stand out on the way to and parked at your clandestine militia meeting.

Moderator Emeritus

from wikipedia:

"The 747-400XQLR (Quiet Long Range) was meant to have an increased range of 8,056 nautical miles (14,920 km), with better fuel efficiency and reduced noise."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    My diesel pickup has enough range if you drive it empty that it's almost unbearable to run it from F to E in terms of the number of hours you can go. I can only imagine if it was 2wd and got even better than the 18-19 mpg it can get on flat ground unloaded, that it'd be even worse. I find it hard to believe any car, hybrid or not, can hang with 650+ miles of range.
    1. 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid: 702 miles

This compact hatchback doesn’t look special, but the 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid can go an incredible 702 miles before you need to refuel it. That’s if you choose its base Blue trim level, which gets an EPA-estimated 58 mpg in the city, 60 mpg on the highway, and 59 mpg combined — also the best efficiency of any car on the market that doesn’t need to plug in. Other trim levels manage still-outstanding ratings of 54 mpg city, 56 mpg highway, and 55 mpg combined; with an 11.9-gallon gas tank, that’s good for 654 miles.

The Ioniq is priced from $23,400 with standard features that include automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, push-button starting, automatic climate control, a power driver’s seat, and an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system. This 139-horsepower hatchback is quieter, quicker, more refined, and equipped with better infotainment than its Toyota Prius archrival. However, its rear seat and cargo hold — while looking great on paper — feel less generous in person.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    Not as helpful as usual here but still an interesting thread. I was just musing about how confounded the government might be by citizens with 1000 mi + autos stashed while the majority were putting around in electric golf carts with 300 mi max ranges and seven hour recharge times.
    There are people doing the cannonball run (coast to coast race) who gut their car, add fuel cells and make the 2,800 mile trip in 26 hours without stopping.
    Last edited by reddog81; 10-15-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    1. 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid: 702 miles

This compact hatchback doesn’t look special, but the 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid can go an incredible 702 miles before you need to refuel it. That’s if you choose its base Blue trim level, which gets an EPA-estimated 58 mpg in the city, 60 mpg on the highway, and 59 mpg combined — also the best efficiency of any car on the market that doesn’t need to plug in. Other trim levels manage still-outstanding ratings of 54 mpg city, 56 mpg highway, and 55 mpg combined; with an 11.9-gallon gas tank, that’s good for 654 miles.

The Ioniq is priced from $23,400 with standard features that include automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, push-button starting, automatic climate control, a power driver’s seat, and an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system. This 139-horsepower hatchback is quieter, quicker, more refined, and equipped with better infotainment than its Toyota Prius archrival. However, its rear seat and cargo hold — while looking great on paper — feel less generous in person.
    That's pretty impressive. Our Camry Hybrid at work has nowhere near that.

I'm pretty sure a Diesel Jetta, at least the older ones, could do 800+ miles on a tank.

Boolit Master

When I fill up my 2019 Subaru Crosstrek's 16 gallon tank & press the little info button it tells me I've got about 650 miles to go.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    Electric cars will improve. I'll let others support their development.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Electric cars will improve. I'll let others support their development.
    In 1921, an electric car had a range of about 75 miles. 2021, they claim 300, but in reality is closer to 250. So at this rate, maybe in another 75 years we will have produced a practical all-electric battery driven car.

Personally if it weren't for cost, I think steam power cars offer the most interesting history and practicality. For example, a 1924 Doble steam power car could run 1,500 miles before it needed the water tank refilled! On top of that, the brick shaped car could do 120 mph with an acceleration that is plenty impressive even today. Only drawback I know of is they sold for what is about $150,000 today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast