Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: George Orwell on rifles.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

George Orwell on rifles.

From an old Gunboards post;
    I collected nearly all of the comments George Orwell makes about rifles in his war memoir, Homage to Catalonia. As I'm sure most of you already know, he served as a volunteer in the Partido Obrero de Unificación Marxista (P.O.U.M), a non Stalinist aligned Marxist militia during Spain's civil war and had experience with the Spanish Mausers. I thought having all of his quotes on the subject compiled here would make for interesting reading. Enjoy.
    "Obviously if you have only a few days in which to train a soldier, you must teach him the things he will most need; how to take cover, how to advance across open ground, how to mount
    guards and build a parapet–above all, how to use his weapons. Yet this mob of eager children, who were going to be thrown into the front line in a few days’ time, were not even taught how to fire a rifle or pull the pin out of a bomb. At the time I did not grasp that this was because there were no weapons to be had. In the P.O.U.M. militia the shortage of rifles was so desperate that fresh troops reaching the front always had to take their rifles from the troops they relieved in the line. In the whole of the Lenin Barracks there were, I believe, no rifles except those used by the sentries."
    "One day an armed Carabinero strolled up to us when we were halting
    and allowed us to examine his rifle. It turned out that in the whole of my section no one except myself even knew how to load the rifle, much less how to take aim."
    "On our third morning in Alcubierre the rifles arrived. A sergeant with a coarse
    dark-yellow face was handing them out in the mule-stable. I got a shock of dismay when I saw the thing they gave me. It was a German Mauser dated 1896–more than forty years old! It was rusty, the bolt was stiff, the wooden barrel-guard was split; one glance down the muzzle showed that it was corroded and past praying for. Most of the rifles were equally bad, some of them even worse, and no attempt was made to give the best weapons to the men who knew how to use them. The best rifle of the lot, only ten years old, was given to a half-witted little beast of fifteen, known to everyone as the maricón (the f*ggot). The sergeant gave us five minutes’ ’instruction’, which consisted in explaining how you loaded a rifle and how you took the bolt to pieces. Many of the militiamen had never had a gun in their hands before, and very few, I imagine, knew what the sights were for. Cartridges were handed out, fifty to a man, and then the ranks were formed and we strapped our kits on our backs
    and set out for the front line, about three miles away."
    "We had just dumped our kits and were crawling out of the dug-out when there was another bang and one of the children of our company rushed back from the parapet with his face pouring blood. He had fired his rifle and had somehow managed to blow out the bolt; his scalp was torn to ribbons by the splinters of the burst cartridge-case. It was our first casualty, and, characteristically, self-inflicted."
    "I tried to explain that at that range and with these rifles you could not hit a man except by accident. But he was only a child, and he kept motioning with his rifle towards one of the dots, grinning as eagerly as a dog that expects a pebble to be thrown. Finally, I put my sights up to seven hundred and let fly. The dot disappeared. I hope it went near enough to make him jump. It was the first time in my life that I had fired a gun at a human being."
    "I heard several of them coming down the hill towards me. I cowered behind a bush that suddenly seemed very small, and tried to cock my rifle without noise. On dark nights I have often fallen half a dozen times in twenty yards; and this was dangerous, because it meant that the lock of one’s rifle became jammed with mud."
    "Beyond this we had only rifles, and the majority of the rifles were scrap-iron. There were three types of rifle in use. The first was the long Mauser. These were seldom less than twenty years old, their sights were about as much use as a broken speedometer, and in most of them the rifling was hopelessly corroded; about one rifle in ten was not bad, however. Then there was the short Mauser, or mousqueton, really a cavalry weapon. These were more popular than the others because they were lighter to carry and less nuisance in a trench, also because they were comparatively new and looked efficient. Actually, they were almost useless. They were made out of reassembled parts, no bolt belonged to its rifle, and three-quarters of them could be counted on to jam after five shots. There were also a few Winchester rifles. These were nice to shoot with, but they were wildly inaccurate, and as their cartridges had no clips they could only be fired one shot at a time. Ammunition was so scarce that each man entering the line was only issued with fifty rounds, and most of it was exceedingly bad. The Spanish-made cartridges were all refills and would jam even the best rifles. The Mexican cartridges were better and were therefore reserved for the machine-guns. Best of all was the German-made ammunition, but as this came only from prisoners and deserters there was not much of it. I always kept a clip of German or Mexican ammunition in my pocket for use in an emergency. But in practice when the emergency came I seldom fired my rifle; I was too frightened of the beastly thing jamming and too anxious to reserve at any rate one round that would go off."
    "When you wanted your rifle cleaned you took it to the sergeant, who possessed a long brass ramrod which was invariably bent and therefore scratched the rifling. There was not even any gun oil. You greased your rifle with olive oil, when you could get hold of it; at different times I have greased mine with vaseline, with cold cream, and even with bacon-fat."
    "If I remember rightly, the first five men I saw wounded in Spain were all wounded by our own weapons–I don’t mean intentionally, but owing to accident or carelessness. Our worn-out rifles were a danger in themselves. Some of them had a nasty trick of going off if the butt was tapped on the ground; I saw a man shoot himself through the hand owing to this."
    "Half our rifles were jammed with mud and unusable. They could be cleaned, but it is dangerous to take the bolt out of a rifle in the darkness; you put it down somewhere and then you lose it."
    "No one dared fire too rapidly; even the best of the rifles were liable to jam if they got too hot."
    "It was not only that they were picked men physically, it was their weapons that most astonished me. All of them were armed with brand-new rifles of the type known as ’the Russian rifle’ (these rifles were sent to Spain by the U.S.S.R., but were, I believe, manufactured in America). I examined
    one of them. It was a far from perfect rifle, but vastly better than the dreadful old blunderbusses we had at the front."
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting and thanks for posting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Wasn’t he shot in the neck by Franco’s forces? I recall reading a “What It’s Like” essay by him.

Revolution = big piles of dead kids who believed.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Reminiscent of Enemy at the Gates, where every one got 5 rounds and ever other one got a gun. If you didn't get one the instructions were to pick up one from a dead comrade.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Efficient system that works. Tough on the soldiers though. Why waste a rifle on the ground. It takes determination and Politic officers behind them that will shoot you in the head if you don't. Worked before for the Communist's.

Whine about it and get executed right then. Sure cures whining.

Boolit Master
    George Orwell (real name Eric Arthur Blair) was an interesting man, and he lived quite a life. I have done a bit of research on him in the past. He saw the lie(s) in Stalinism very quickly.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I guess if you wait for some body to hand you a rifle you get what they have on hand, but if you own and maintain one you get what you paid for and took care of.

Then there is the issue of being a foreigner. Good rifles go to our boys. Crappy rifles let the foreigners have those. Who gets assigned to the most dangerous jobs? Why waste your best soldiers on a mission with little chance for success? Give the youngsters a rousing speech and let the charge the dug in machine guns.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.