RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Svarog Slugs...

Svarog sent the Zverboy mold when it first came out. Pain in the **** to cast, but pretty darn accurate from my testing.

I got just about every slug mold from AS and Svarog. All of the slug that don’t require the Azot or Kontrava wad are pretty much the same in terms of accuracy and how I load them in regards to data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

BT:

Do you have a favourite or are they all good and just sort of different flavours?

I am thinking about the slugs that use screw on wads mostly like the Twister, Botfly, Grizzly shock, Zveroboy/SH-SH.

I'm still a smoothbore guy but thinking I should spring for one of the Mossberg combo deals with gun and spare barrel or two. There is a good deal on a two barrel combo that comes with a rifled barrel and scope for $549.00 CDN. A cantilever rifled barrel alone is $399.00 last time I looked, then you need the scope. I'd rather go with rifle sights but those barrels seem rare. I think one of the three barrel combos may come with rifle sights. They run $600.00+.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    BT:

Do you have a favourite or are they all good and just sort of different flavours?

I am thinking about the slugs that use screw on wads mostly like the Twister, Botfly, Grizzly shock, Zveroboy/SH-SH.

I'm still a smoothbore guy but thinking I should spring for one of the Mossberg combo deals with gun and spare barrel or two. There is a good deal on a two barrel combo that comes with a rifled barrel and scope for $549.00 CDN. A cantilever rifled barrel alone is $399.00 last time I looked, then you need the scope. I'd rather go with rifle sights but those barrels seem rare. I think one of the three barrel combos may come with rifle sights. They run $600.00+.

Longbow
    Brother, you’ve been saying u gonna get a rifled barrel since we’ve met.

If you could only get one mold, get the Twister with the 3 (botfly), 4 (Zverboy), 5, and 6 petal Center pins. You’ll cover all your bases there.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah I know! What I really want is an H&H Paradox gun but at £130,000.00 I will be saving for quite some time!! Like forever! The Mossberg is a bit more in my league so maybe... I'm an old retired guy living off savings these days so toy money is scarce especially since I need new hearing aids. Now those don't come cheap! Not as much as a Paradox gun but shockingly expensive!

For now I'll play with the toys I have and we'll see what the future holds!

I do like the screw on brush wad idea so if I buy one of these Russian moulds it'll likely be the Twister as you suggest.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Leon: What is the OD on the Driving Bands of those 12 ga. slugs?

LB: I think you would be disappointed in the performance of those paradox guns compared to the ones we are shooting now. and You could sane about $129,500 in the deal.

I haven't seen anyone outside our group here doing much in the realm of accuracy from shotgun slugs that is above anything we've been able to accomplish here.

Some of the groups that have been posted here are well above anything else out there. Leon and Hogtamer have both posted groups that rival Rifle groups at 100 yards but with bullets that are 500 grains plus! Even my feeble efforts have produced results that are pretty damn good. See Pic. First two were shot offhand at 50 yards from a M500 smooth bore and the last one was from the A5 with Hastings Rifled Barrel.

For the intended purposes of these slugs, it doesn't get much better than that.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464735.jpg   100464664.jpg   100464943.JPG   100464885.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

You are right! However, a guy likes what he likes! Properly fed Paradox guns were supposed to keep all rounds from both barrels within a 5" square at 100 yards. That's pretty good for slugs and very good for a double barreled anything. However, at £130,000.00 (that is $174,362.41 US dollars) There isn't one in my future unless I win a really, really big lottery... I mean really big!

I've always wanted a double rifle or Preferably a Paradox gun but about the only one I can afford might be a Kodiak/Pedersoli. Even that is above my fun budget!

I guess I'll stick with the good 'ol Mossberg Slugster until that lottery win comes along.

I do have to get the rifled choke tube adaptor mounted on my old single shot to try that and if successful then I would install it on the smoothbore Slugster barrel. If not then I may just break down and buy a rifled gun. I am resisting but weakening!

What I really have to do is get to the range and shoot some of the many varieties of slugs I have loaded now! I have 5 or 6 different slugs loaded mostly in groups of 10 for testing. Most are slugs I have shot before but with added tailwads. My Moose Minie clone is also on the list. Sfter watching the Taofledermaus video I am curious how my clone will shoot.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Svarog Paradox here.

I like loading with these proprietary wads. And I like the nose. This slug also shoots quite accurate out of my short smoothbore. Makes big holes in 5 mm steel... medium hard alloy... I know I should group and test and report more!

Boolit Grand Master

I can't tell in your pic whether that Azot wad has the little tabs on the cushion.

The new red wads don't have the tabs but I'm pretty sure some of the Azot/proprietary wads had those tabs. The old Gualandi DGS wads had them.

In some cases they cause skirt distortion.

When did they disappear on the Azot wads?

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I can't tell in your pic whether that Azot wad has the little tabs on the cushion.

The new red wads don't have the tabs but I'm pretty sure some of the Azot/proprietary wads had those tabs. The old Gualandi DGS wads had them.

In some cases they cause skirt distortion.

When did they disappear on the Azot wads?

Longbow
    Tabs? Now you lost me. What tabs where?

Svarog site has a bad red wad pic but they look the same as my white, with those four legs. Why is it that so many sites have horrible pics of their wads?

Boolit Grand Master

Gualandi DGS slugs with "tabs" on cushion leg:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/mo...tinfo/0721612/

I'm pretty sure I've seen the Azot wads with the same tabs.

The Gualandi's I recovered showed skirt distortion from those tabs.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

A picture is worth a thousand words:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...st-Slugs/page3

your post #53 shows minor distortion over the tabs.

Vettepilot's pics in post #98 show the Azot wads with tabs and without.

I'll see if I still have the Gualandi slugs with distorted skirts. If so I'll post a pic.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Unfired Paradox on top.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, those look like the new wad design or at least not with tabs!

Here are the pics of the recovered Gualandi slug. I had more but could only find one with wad still attached and one that was flattened sideways after impact so not much use. I'm sure I had at least two like this one but...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Directly over one tab.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Directly over other tab.

[IMG][/IMG]
    At 90° to tabs.

Coincidental? I don't think so but it is only one slug.

These were factory Gualandi slugs with wads attached supplied as reloading components.

Not sure if Svarog bought Gualandi wads originally or if they copied them but it appears they have changed the cushion leg. Gualandi brush wads still have the tabs on the cushion leg but it shouldn't affect any of the flat based Russian slugs that use the screw on method. The tabs do seem to be detrimental to the thin skirt slugs HB though.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Unfired Paradox on top.

How hard you seating them on the wad? The unfired actually looks fired.

That slug folded like a concertina, but still maintained a symmetric shape!
    The designer might as well skip the grooves completely, and go for a straight wall design.
    Cap'n Morgan

What is the diameter of that slug after it was fired? If it was .729 to start it obviously got shoved thru a choke or something?

Still want the OD of the Driving Bands on the Botfly Slugs ?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    How hard you seating them on the wad? The unfired actually looks fired.
    That one in the pic actually is a reject, I pressed it so hard that the slug skirt cracked. I normally leave a small gap, can't seat them completely in.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    What is the diameter of that slug after it was fired? If it was .729 to start it obviously got shoved thru a choke or something?
    .726-.727. Benelli M3 cyl 18".

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

One of them shrunk!?!

Boolit Master
    One of them shrunk!?!
    Yes I quenched that one in cold water.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast