Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Need a light bullet for a Mosin

Need a light bullet for a Mosin

I'm working on a Scout/Knockaround M44. (See my post on sight installation in the "Special Projects" area) I'd like to primarily use a light, plain base bullet at 1100 fps or so in this rifle. Something along the lines of 100-120 grs. The rifle has a groove diameter of .3125"- .313", and a bore diameter of about .301" I slugged the throat as best I could and it appears to have a groove diameter in the throat of around .301" also, maybe a hair larger. I know that the problem is likely to be finding an accurate load as the short bullets won't be able to be seated out near the lands as they should be for best accuracy.
    Other than that, any mould suggestions? I've noticed the Lyman 3118, but I figured it would drop bullets in the .311" range which of course would be under groove diameter. Everything Lee makes is GC.
    Thanks for any help!
    35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 01-10-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

My 311008 casts in WW at approx .3125 which might be a bit skinny for your M44. I would look for a bullet closer to .315; maybe one for .32 handguns.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot gobs of Lee's TL314-90-SWCs in my Mosin Nagant and all of my .30/.31s. I cast them out of scrap alloys in a 6 cavity mould, tumble lbe and run through a Lee .314 sizer base first (then through a .311 sizer for the .30s). I load them over 3.2 gr of Bullseye which gives 900 fps +/- depending on barrel. I like that load because it is economical, highly accurate, no recoil, little noise, great for plinking or small game and lots of fun. I never really tried driving them faster but I'm sure they'll do as well at 1100 fps as any other PB light weight cast bullet.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I shoot gobs of Lee's TL314-90-SWCs in my Mosin Nagant and all of my .30/.31s. I cast them out of scrap alloys in a 6 cavity mould, tumble lbe and run through a Lee .314 sizer base first (then through a .311 sizer for the .30s). I load them over 3.2 gr of Bullseye which gives 900 fps +/- depending on barrel. I like that load because it is economical, highly accurate, no recoil, little noise, great for plinking or small game and lots of fun. I never really tried driving them faster but I'm sure they'll do as well at 1100 fps as any other PB light weight cast bullet.

Larry Gibson
    Now, why didn't I think of that?!?
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Very interesting!

Larry,

Do you settle the powder charge prior to firing or use wading or niether?

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of data for .314 cast pistol bullets in Ken Waters Pet Loads for chicken loads[grouse]............Harold

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Very interesting!

Larry,

Do you settle the powder charge prior to firing or use wading or niether?

Three 44s
    No, I do not "settle" the sharge or use a wad or filler. The nice thing about Bullseye is that the flash of the primer ignites it quickly with very consistent ignition. It is not "position sensitive". With rimless cases the old shoulder set back will happen with such loads. With rimless cases I dedicate cases for these loads that are well fire formed and I drill the flash holes out with a #28 drill. This prevents the primer flash from blowing the case forward and setting the case back creating headspace problems. With these cases there is no shoulder setback. The primer flash also gets into the case quicker and enhances ignition of such light loads.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

35 Whelen

The 358477 over 4-6 gr bullseye does as well in many .35s.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry,

Thank you, ....... I'll have to try that soon. I have a passion for TL's in my revos .....

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    35 Whelen,

My Lyman 311008 drops @.3135-.314...............newer mould just got it last year.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Bub

How does it feed?

Larry,

I have this mold and tried a few in my M-44 but haven't got back to it yet. I didn't think it feed into the chamber very smoothly. Do you have any issue like this? Do you seat it to the top of the bands or long?

Bill

Boolit Buddy

Need a light bullet for a Mosin

Many commercial casters sell 115 grain boolits intended for 32-20. These usually run .313 diameter. The box of I bought did. I have great fun loading these in Mosins, SMLE's and 1891 Mauser. 4.5 to 5 grains of Titegroup works just dandy. I also size them down to .310 and load in 30-30 and various 30 cal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trail troll View Post
    Larry,

I have this mold and tried a few in my M-44 but haven't got back to it yet. I didn't think it feed into the chamber very smoothly. Do you have any issue like this? Do you seat it to the top of the bands or long?

Bill
    I seat the TL314-90-SWC (or the Hornady swaged 90 gr .32 cal lead SWC bullet) so 2/3s of the bearing length of the bullet is in the case. I've not had any feeding problems from a Type 53, M91/28, M91/30 sniper or my Finn M39. The cartridges slip right on into the chamber.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Any idea if Unique powder would work with the TLC314-90-SWC in the 7.62x54R and if so what charge would you recommend?

Boolit Grand Master

My tests show you have to push the bullet up into the 1200-1400 fps range for the Unique to burn efficiently giving consistent ignition. Accuracy was poor. I've always found Bullseye to be "the" powder for such loads up through 1100-1200 fps but preferably down in the 800-900 fps range. Accuracy is always best in that velocity range with PB pistol bullets in the larger case rifles.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

.32 Cal. Pistol Bullet for your application

Midway has: Blemished Bullets 32 Caliber (312 Diameter) 100 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged)

Product #: 410615
    Our Price: $9.19 Sale!
    Compare at: $15.29 You save $6.10!
    Sale Expires: Jan. 31, 2009

These might be "just right" and fairly cheap as well. Good luck, Safeshot
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

we are working on a boolit that will work for that. it is .316" 110gn PB, with a very srort nose. it should work in that. it is in the GB fourm under "Groupbuy for nagant"