MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Boolit Master

I dropped by Sportsmans Warehouse today, early afternoon. They had delivered in this morning, their weekly supplies. Low and behold, there was one (1) brick of CCI 300 LP primers. Yes, I grabbed it. No price tag. I sondered up to the counter expecting some outrageous price. I ask for a price check. The clerk scanned the box, and looked in my face. 41.99 for the brick. I hope my face didn't express my giddiness deep inside. You bet, I'll pay that price all day long. I just have to make sure I'm back there next week when the truck rolls in. I hope all y'all are as fortunate as I was today.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I’ve been sitting on an absurd amount of lpp that I’ve been unable to trade for any other primers. They seem to be the black sheep of primers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    I’ve been sitting on an absurd amount of lpp that I’ve been unable to trade for any other primers. They seem to be the black sheep of primers.
    I bought another 5 years worth of LPP just before USPSA changed the rules to allow 8 shot .38s in Revolver division. POOF! My 5 year supply turned into a 50 year supply. And you are right… no one wants to trade.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I use LPP for Schuetzen loads in .32-40. Not being a competitor, I use maybe 100 a year.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I bought another 5 years worth of LPP just before USPSA changed the rules to allow 8 shot .38s in Revolver division. POOF! My 5 year supply turned into a 50 year supply. And you are right… no one wants to trade.
    This is definitely off topic (and please excuse my ignorance) - how did the switch to allow 8 shot 38's change your primer needs?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Before the rule change, THE choice for Revolver division was the S&W 625 in .45 ACP. The rule change allowed shooters to choose between Major scoring with 6 shot revolvers or Minor scoring with 8 shot revolvers. I did the “standing reloads per match” math and chose the 8 shot.

.45 ACP in my 625 used LPP. Hot rod .38 Colt loads in my 627 use SPP.
    Thousands less .45s shot in the year equals thousands less LPP consumed.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Before the rule change, THE choice for Revolver division was the S&W 625 in .45 ACP. The rule change allowed shooters to choose between Major scoring with 6 shot revolvers or Minor scoring with 8 shot revolvers. I did the “standing reloads per match” math and chose the 8 shot.

.45 ACP in my 625 used LPP. Hot rod .38 Colt loads in my 627 use SPP.
    Thousands less .45s shot in the year equals thousands less LPP consumed.
    Ahhh, thank you for the explanation.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last time I saw primers in a LGS, I bought 1000 Winchester SPP for $80. That was months ago.

I used to figure a primer was about 3 cents or a bit more -- $30/1000.

I'm really glad I put in that order for 10,000 Federal SPP at Midway a couple of years ago....

Boolit Buddy
    I was in SWH, Wasilla, AK, yesterday and saw some CCI 41. I grabbed all 4 that they had as these are the first primers I've seen for some time. Checked out at $5.39 each. The check out Lady put them in a small bag for me and said she didn't want me to lose any of them on the way home!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    At $40 a thousand I personally buy enough to outlast me.
    That’s exactly why prices won’t go down anytime soon.

After production gets back to pre-Covid levels (it may be already), it’s going to take years for supply to catch up to pent-up demand, because everyone is prepping for the next shortage. Not pointing fingers because I’ll probably be one of them (though I’m well-stocked for now.)

Assuming no new spikes in demand, AND the supply-chain is back to normal soon, AND the current money-printing fest doesn’t result in a bout of hyper-inflation, my prediction is we’re looking at 2023 before the channel is full again and primer prices settle down to a new normal (which will NOT be $40 per thousand.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I think $40/1000 will be the new normal...if things go back to normal in the next year. The announced price increase put primers at that $40/1000 mark. I buy as many as SWMBO will let me buy. I have the go-ahead to spend $1k as soon as I find a good price. I will then try and buy at least a case a month after that. I'm already planning for the 2024 election.
    $40 per K WAS normal LGS retail price for one brick of a major brand (not S&B or Ninex) before the pandemic.

Increases in consumer prices alone mean the “new normal” will be higher.

I also don’t think that will be next year because everyone’s going loading up ahead of the next shortage.

Economists have used the phrase "up like a rocket, down like a feather" for longer than I've been alive, (and Moses was a close personal friend of mine).
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    $40 per K WAS normal LGS retail price for one brick of a major brand (not S&B or Ninex) before the pandemic.

Increases in consumer prices alone mean the “new normal” will be higher.

I also don’t think that will be next year because everyone’s going loading up ahead of the next shortage.
    The month before the China Flu hit I bought 10K of Winchester SPP at a local shop for $30/1000.

This shop consistently had prices that were as low as or lower than most of the major supply houses. Graf's at the same time was selling them for $33.99/1000 plus shipping and hazmat.

Right after the China Flu hit the new Scheel's opened up here in DFW. I picked up 10K of Winchester SPP there for $30/1000.

Both prices hurt as my last major primer purchases had been S&B primers in the $15-$20/1000 range.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    The month before the China Flu hit I bought 10K of Winchester SPP at a local shop for $30/1000.

This shop consistently had prices that were as low as or lower than most of the major supply houses. Graf's at the same time was selling them for $33.99/1000 plus shipping and hazmat.

Right after the China Flu hit the new Scheel's opened up here in DFW. I picked up 10K of Winchester SPP there for $30/1000.

Both prices hurt as my last major primer purchases had been S&B primers in the $15-$20/1000 range.
    Hmm, maybe I’m just going to the wrong places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When I shot USPSA I used a S&W 610 in 40 caliber which used small pistol primers & had no problem making major power factor with it.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    When I shot USPSA I used a S&W 610 in 40 caliber which used small pistol primers & had no problem making major power factor with it.

Dick
    The 610 can certainly work, but I don’t see a competitive advantage. The 625 offers both larger charge holes and bullet diameter.

I've been finding some lately but, not at pre China Flu prices. I found Lg rifle and Lg pistol at 7 bucks a hundred. I know not at all cheap but, better than scalper prices.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

$0.07 primers to produce ammo that costs over $1.00 / round is a bargain for LRP. It’s all in how you look at it.

Maybe primers were too cheap to begin with

USMC 77, USRA 79

i found some in Juneau, AK Sportsman warehouse for 53.90 a k.... way too much, but I arranged for purchase.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    My LGS just got a shipment of primers in. All priced at their cost. $16.99 / 100 or 169.99 / thousand. Two weeks in, he's sold 300 (3 sleeves of 100).

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast