MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Yeah, I sorta doubt that statement. Lots of 6MM Remington? How about .22-250? .25-20?
    My local gun store has your 6mm and 22-250.
    But I'm glad you found that Idahoguy45 !!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Today I assembled another 200 SPP reloads.

Earlier this week, I worked out the material cost at around $1.40 per thousand. So far I have assembled about 6k and I still have material on hand for at least another 18k.

My cost is a little lower than some as I made my own ground glass and powdered aluminum. Buying all of the ingredients would push cost closer to $1.90 per thousand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Was in a store yesterday. CCI 41's were $99.99/K, no limit. They probably had at least 50 bricks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Today I assembled another 200 SPP reloads.

Earlier this week, I worked out the material cost at around $1.40 per thousand. So far I have assembled about 6k and I still have material on hand for at least another 18k.

My cost is a little lower than some as I made my own ground glass and powdered aluminum. Buying all of the ingredients would push cost closer to $1.90 per thousand.
    Are you grinding your own glass and making powdered aluminum?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Are you grinding your own glass and making powdered aluminum?

Yes. All discussed in the Sparkplugs thread.

Boolit Master
    CCI BR-2 primers were available yesterday at the Black Sheep in CDA Idaho for $11.99/C limit of 500. They also had Remington 1-1/2 pistol primers for $6.99/C limit 500.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

In a couple of months the factory just outside Texarkana is supposed to be producing primers!
    More availability should bring prices down!

Boolit Master

Stopped at Walmart to get a large storage tub that was being clearanced and wandered by the sporting goods area. They actually had ammo! Not a lot, but they did have 50 rd boxes of CCI .22lr for $4.63 each. Plus some Winchester and Federal .22lr. I believe a brick is now around $40. I still have plenty of ammo, so just smiled and walked away.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    In a couple of months the factory just outside Texarkana is supposed to be producing primers!
    More availability should bring prices down!
    May be a little more availability, but I doubt if prices will drop much.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    May be a little more availability, but I doubt if prices will drop much.
    Availability will put an end to the internet scalpers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I just saw 130/1k yesterday at a gun store and a sign that said all powder is $75 a lb regardless of what and sticker says

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I just saw 130/1k yesterday at a gun store and a sign that said all powder is $75 a lb regardless of what and sticker says
    That's a store I'd cross the street to avoid.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    In my opinion the gun shops are not helping but more like cashing in on this. My phone has been ringing and ringing with calls from almost all my local shops. They are all looking for items to sell to make money. I have informed them all I am done helping them. Not one will stock up when items are low and in stock. They all have gone nuts on profit.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    In my opinion the gun shops are not helping but more like cashing in on this. My phone has been ringing and ringing with calls from almost all my local shops. They are all looking for items to sell to make money. I have informed them all I am done helping them. Not one will stock up when items are low and in stock. They all have gone nuts on profit.
    A shop has to make enough profit to cover fixed overhead. When sales volume is down, which is certainly true for ammo and components, prices must rise on what volume remains.

For a retailer to hold large inventories also has costs which eat into profits. Retailers are forced by simple economics to think in terms of "turnover". They can't have low turnover and low profit margins and stay in business.

A LGS owner who sells what little stock he can get on internet auction sites may be doing so just to survive.

He is not a charity.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Was at my LGS last week and mentioned primers. He doesn't have any but said going rate around us was around $125-$185 a thousand. Said if I was 20 years older I would sell my stash, but not now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    A shop has to make enough profit to cover fixed overhead. When sales volume is down, which is certainly true for ammo and components, prices must rise on what volume remains.

For a retailer to hold large inventories also has costs which eat into profits. Retailers are forced by simple economics to think in terms of "turnover". They can't have low turnover and low profit margins and stay in business.

A LGS owner who sells what little stock he can get on internet auction sites may be doing so just to survive.

He is not a charity.
    This is where location differs from shops to shops. Your area has store fronts. My area has home based shops out of converted garages and basements. Most, no wait, all shop owners I refer to are retired and considered friends for many years.

We have no dedicated LGS here which rent/own commercial space. FFLs within 25 miles of me are two small counters in hardware stores that sell mostly shotguns and shotgun ammo to deer hunters, and one home-business like your friends'. When I succumb to the lure of Gunbroker i go to see him. He still has overhead. He has about 100-150 guns in stock, not a lot of ammo, and zero powder/primers. His biggest money-maker is CCW training - he built an indoor range on his property. The economics are really no different from a storefront guy, except his overhead is less.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

LGS had primers again today... Federal Large Pistol Match Grade. $9 per tray. Limit of 3 trays. Walked away.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Still nothing around. Not even a primer to put a price on.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Still nothing around. Not even a primer to put a price on.
    Truth. I guess the price wouldn't matter here. It'd be snapped up immediately, as long as a person could build a round for even a few pennies below loaded ammo costs.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast