WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Slug idea

Boolit Master

Slug idea

RSS sabot from BPI. Lee REAL in 50 cal. Got both, 250 and 320 grain.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

No go. The RSS sabot is more or less a flop. I have yet to have anyone say they got even mediocre accuracy with them. You are much better of buying those "value sabot's" with the lead bullets. As for your idea of a REAL, no go there either. i'm going off the top of my head, but I beleive the 50 caliber REAL is something like .498" at the base, and tapers up to .517" at the top. You need a straight sided bullet about .501" for the RSS sabot. Lot's of better bullets than the REAL.

Boolit Buddy
    First, to insure success with the RSS sabot you have to have a bullet that is large enough in diameter so that the it forces the "petals" on the sabot to engage the barrel rifling, while the "petals" are strongly gripping the bullet to impart a spin as everything goes down the barrel. If the bullet is not large enough in diameter you will not have groups and more than likely see the bullets going through the target sideways. Second, you have to make sure that the initial acceleration does not cause the bullet to deform the base of the sabot. If the base is deformed the bullet will not remain in contact with the petals. Up to this point I have had success only with the Lee 501-440 RF, but it's as cast diameter is not large enough. I apply two wraps of label paper to increase it's diameter. I also put a card wad under the bullet so the bullet rests up against top of the petals. I have used the 500 grain Hornady data to load these. Avoid the "warp factor" loads! I restricted my load work to those loads less than 1200fps and have had success. Beware of the claims of extreme velocity. Notice that there are never any pictures of groups, only chronograph screens or claims. I have yet to get groups with lighter bullets, jacketed or cast. Experiments with increasing the bullet diameter of the lighter bullets has not been tried yet. Too many other priorities.

Bill

Boolit Master

Still waiting on the sabots to come. I may have got ahead of the game, by sizing to 501. Have 2 contenders , the Lee REAL in 320gr,and a Lyman Great Plains in 380gr as cast. They were already cast. Sized all the REAL's, but only a few of the other. May have to back up and re-group.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Whatever you do, add a cork or fiber wad on the base. I took a .44 mag case and punched out some disks using cork/rubber mats. If not, slug setback will blow your base.

My first time out, I got about 2” groups using longshot and 350 gr .50 cal XTP’s. The problem was, they were extremely slow using 26 grs (when I first started).

My last go with these a couple months back saw promise. Here’s a 50 yard group using 35 grs of longshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk