Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casting cellulose sabots.....

Boolit Mold
    I decided that creating a paperpatch and gascheck as one unit would not work. My biggest concern was that the unit would not seperate from the boolit in a consistant manner, so I came up with this method of developing a paper gascheck. This would allow a two stage process, hopefull which will work. The paperpatch method is tried and tested and is known to work. Now a gas check which will protect the boattail is necessary.

Where this idea came from was when I was walking past my loading bench. A Lee bullet sizer die sat on top of the press. I looked at it and what appears to be a lightbulb moment occured. The Lee die was the right diameter for the job because no difficult modifications were necessary for this to work.

A stop was placed in the die so that a wet paper cookie could be formed inside it. This stop is a spring returned plunger so that the finished product could be expelled from the die. The base of the paperpatched boattail gascheck is formed at the top of the die for strength of the gascheck during the expulsion from the die.

The shape of the boattail is cut and polished onto the ram's plunger which was part of Lee's die set. The shaper being on the ram's plunger also benefits from being easy to remove (due to it's shape) before the plunger in the die is depressed to expell the finished product.

This site is the best thing that came along since the Amos N Andy show quit on the old Crosley Radio

Might just learn to wrap em like the old dead guys did and learn to read wind-Mirage and Maybe even learn to shoot.
    No arguments there! Firing the gun is not my problem - I was once considered a good shot although I have now forgotten how to aim with a scope allowing for boolit rise and fall within the 'point-blank' range of the gun. It's wind and mirrage that's got me stumped and I now live in a windy place. Trouble is, work is keeping me out of the field. So in the meantime, I keep myself amused by trying to find the optimum patched boolit for the guns I've got. I'm learning stuff from you accomplished folks in the process! I'm learning about how different alloys behave in different mediums and under different launch conditions. It's quite challenging!

Frankly....I'd get about as much joy out of working with a 'rust bored rifle' as I would in being Obammys' right hand man!!
    Yup. I'm probably the only person in the world trying to make an old waterpipe shoot! It's about the challenge and the gun itself. If it works out as a field piece, it's gonna get a new barrel - well, a good barrel, anyway. One day!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    This site is the best thing that came along since the Amos N Andy show quit on the old Crosley Radio
    Lead Pot

Most of these guys are probably TOO YOUNG to know who Amos N Andy were!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

303 Guy.

All joking aside, a short necked cartridge case like the .303 has it's tough to make a PP bullet work at it's best ability for the simple reason a lot of the bullet is below the case neck well into the larger diameter shoulder and a lot of damage is caused to the patch and bullet base when the powder ignites. I have seen the damage from the undamaged recovered bullets I studied and seen on the paper at various distances.
    Unless you alter the throat so it will except a bullet seated totally in the case neck you will never see the full potential of what that PP bullet is capable of.
    Kurt

Rick.

Most likely not. I used to sit there and laugh at there carrying on and with ol Red.

Well it's been a few days now since you did the cutting how is working??

Kurt

In Remembrance
    Whoa! Hold up, Kurt.
    You aren't trying to trick Rick into hijacking this 'cellulose' thread, are you?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I never gave it a thought Charlie, I guess I should have asked how that beast is shooting with those cellulose dingies now since you gave it that ream job.
    For give me PSE!!

Kurt

Boolit Master

Nah 303 guy, I'm working on one too. I know that the chance of getting groups that don't resemble patterns is not good but the challange is making an old war horse run with some pride.
    Lead pot, the problem in my old two grove 303 is the throat is worn out so far that a PP package has to sit so far out in the barrel.
    And I still am waiting on the sizer die for the Gibbs M/L. Those 540 grn PP are still waiting to fly through the mirage and wind. The last time I shot out to 600 the bulit flew faster and was a lot smaller. I have no clue about 1000 and 1200 yds, but a lot of folks have volenteered to help. Maybe should have stayed with shotguns.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

D-F

Naw wont help I dug my 870 trap gun out after a 18 year rest and couldn't break a 16 with it last week

How's it working?

Rick.

Most likely not. I used to sit there and laugh at there carrying on and with ol Red.

Kurt
    Kurt

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet! Been working and dealing with visitors!

Hopefully....soon!!

"The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master

Lead pot, I don't do any better after a few week layoff. The good part with a shotgun in public is you might miss but at least they cant see how bad.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

RMulhern,

I'm with you guys. Hell,I have 10 thumbs and can wrap 80 an hour, that's plenty fast.

And it works.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lead pot, I do what I have to to ensure the boolit base does not seat past the neck/shoulder junction. This is made easy in some guns that have cordite enlarged throats. My rust pipe bore is real big in the throat. My two-groove, although rust damaged, is still on spec and has a taper throat with a half degree per side leade - the leade is the throat. My mint bore requires a two-diameter tapered boolit for optimum fit. Yep - Lee Enfields can be challenging to patch for.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

The eroded throat should really help you than. I never had a Lee but I had some rifles like the 7-62 Ruskie's with bad bores that came out pretty good patching a pure lead bullets and making a few passes down the bore with a loose patch covered with 300 grid clover lapping compound than covering a few patched bullets with the past and fire lapping the bore.
    They cleaned up quite well and made fine shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    Lead Pot

Most of these guys are probably TOO YOUNG to know who Amos N Andy were!!
    Well I'm not anywhere as old as you two geezers, but I've found during the busy season when i can't get to sleep, cause there are too many things on my mind, I crank up the old time radio shows on my (computer) and never make it thru one show before I'm sound asleep. sometimes If I wake up an hour early, I'll turn it back on and listen to the half I missed the night before.

Used to listen to them on KFAB out of Omaha, but they quite broadcasting them.

as for the experimenting, I hope they keep at it, thats what shooting is all about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123