Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 45 Colt/45 ACP Ruger Redhawk Capabilities

Boolit Bub

45 Colt/45 ACP Ruger Redhawk Capabilities

Hey fellas.

I bought one of these a couple years ago on impulse, thinking I'd probably just flip it once I got bored with it... but unfortunately I find myself having fallen in love with it. It is plain Jane, bone stock too - I even refuse to do anything about the horrid factory trigger although I probably should.

I am shooting 45 ACP in it all the time too and I dunno why that is. I reload both but it is just so much fun to shoot I usually start pilfering the 1911's fodder for it.

Are any of you guys into oddball calibers? Somebody asked me if it could handle the 45 Rowland or 45 Super and I simply had no answer. I just punch paper and do targets with it, and if I had to I would imagine that with this gun I could stoke the 45 Colt up to near 44 magnum ballistics if I were so inclined... I would assume the gun could handle those cartridges if - for some godly unknown reason they were all you had.

Just a hypothetical question for me, I'm afraid... but an interesting one none the less. For me, I see no need to play with oddball ammo for no other reason than entertainment I suppose...

Yes it will handle either round. The 460 Rowland uses a longer case than the 45 acp so that it cannot be loaded in a gun that can not handle the Rowland pressure. The 45 super case is the same as the acp just needed up in the web. The super is loaded to 28,000. In the redhawk where you have full chamber support the 45 acp should be able to handle 28,000 psi. And possibly the Rowland pressure. John Taffin years ago wrote an article about shooting the Rowland in the Blackhawk 45 convertible and in that article he used 45 acp brass to reload up to the Rowland levels. The article was on a website that closed down so I cannot tell you where to find it.

The short answer yes

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

That one has been on my list for a few years now. I was looking for one and I came across a SS Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt/ 45 ACP and spent my money on that instead. I don't regret that purchase though. I had some cash and I was looking for one earlier this year and had a S&W 25-5 fall into my lap at an incredible price and I don't regret that purchase either. But I still really want one. It is number 1 on my pistol bucket list still.
    And it is stronger than the Blackhawk from what I understand and just as strong as a Super Redhawk. Gary Reeder uses it as the basis for his Mastodon conversion with calibers like 500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh and 454 Casull. But he is using a 5 shot cylinder in that conversion to have thicker cylinder walls.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

I also have a 45 Colt/45 ACP Blackhawk Convertible. I put the 45 ACP cylinder in it when I bought it, and never switched it out. Love shooting 45 ACP in that Blackhawk!

Boolit Master
    Convertible Rugers are fun. I have one of the Redhawks myself.

Enjoy it as is.. but you can play with some other calibers if so inclined. The 45 Colt is quite capable of being uploaded & used in that gun.
    bigboredad made some excellent points.

Boolit Master
    I always thought some .45 Win Mag brass moon clipped and loaded appropriately would be a hoot in a .45 dual fuel Redhawk.

The 4” .45 Colt (only) Redhawk I owned was very accurate with warmish Colt loads. I just never warmed up to the little howitzer.