RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Winchester Pre64 70 parts gun?

Winchester Pre64 70 parts gun?

I am putting together parts that make up a Pre 64 Model 70 rifle , I have the barrel, stock , action , bolt, aftermarket trigger so I am missing some small parts but the most is the floorplate and trigger guard.
    I know the Post 64s are different so I heard, although from most pictures they resemble the Pre ones until the post gets out there in later years.
    I have Never owned a Post 64 of any caliber, so I have never had the chance to look at the parts, is there that much difference in the trigger guards or floorplates that render them unusable or can the be "fixed"?
    I dnt know about the length of the guard screws etc. but I have made chicken salad out of chicken s--- a few times and had a good taste.
    Anyway I wish someone would chime in with there thoughts guided by experience.
    Many Thanks !!!!
    Ron

Your first stop for pre 64 Winchester model 70 rifle parts should be https://pre64win.com/collections/ - it's a dedicated site for collectors and shooters of the rifle.

Your second stop should be https://cfnparts.com/index.php?route...egory&path=292 - While they're out of a lot of parts, they do show a floorplate as being available.
    Last edited by pietro; 08-14-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

I just finished cobbling together a pre 64 Mod 70 for a simple shooter. Didn't want to spend the money to buy pre 64 bottom metal, I used post 64 which took quite a bit of filing but doable. The only thing that isn't exactly right is that the post 64 slot for the trigger is much wider than the pre 64. I suppose you could weld it up and cut it correctly, but I said who cares and left it alone.
    Phil

By the way, screws are the same. trigger guard on a post 64 is wider as is the part just in front of the floorplate. Both just need to be reshaped as does the floorplate. No big deal, just time.
    Phil

Boolit Master

I may be wrong, and certainly have been before, but isn't there more than one style/type of post 64 bottom metal? Someone who knows please shed some light.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I may be wrong, and certainly have been before, but isn't there more than one style/type of post 64 bottom metal? Someone who knows please shed some light.
    Rick

Yes - the post-64 Model 70's chambered for shorter cartridges like the .308 Win had guard screws a shorter distance apart than those of models chambered for .30-06 length cartridges.

I experienced this directly, as I was fitting a Feather Weight stock to a .338WM standard M-70 - The first stock I obtained would have required drastic inletting/stock work.

Fortunately, the LGS where I bought the stock swapped it out for another FW stock that was a drop-in except for a slight inletting increase to accept the .338's somewhat larger (in diameter) chamber reinforce portion of the barrel.
    Last edited by pietro; 08-16-2021 at 10:10 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride