Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I dislike Waiting for the Tumbler.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.

I dislike Waiting for the Tumbler.

I would otherwise take a picture and show you these 357 mag brass all carboned up, filling this wheel bearing box.

That would involve getting a headache If you saw the picture...
    So instead let's skip that.

I use liquid dish soap and hot water with 5 pounds of (guessing mass I haven't weighed the amount) stainless pins- usually. Today it's just water and soap in the large frankfort.
    They are a rolling in that tumbler.
    Coincidentally, I also noticed watching the coffee doesn't make it boil faster.

3 hours to go...

The clouds shifted together, boiling and twisting. The sun disappeared into the blackening sky, the temperatures immediately fall.

The small lightning in the clouds is building. I can see the sky is electric.

Small droplets fall and they are gone. Suddenly the sky erupts with thunderous powerful lightning and sheets of water.

There goes my opportunity to cast tonight

Be safe

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If I'm ancy, I'll just tumble with stainless chips for about 45 minute, making sure I use the hottest water I can. None of my loads are terribly sooty though. Sure, they don't come out all bright and shiny like I'd like, but they still go bang just the same

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I still use corncob. I turn it on when going to work or going to bed. I never wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I still use corncob. I turn it on when going to work or going to bed. I never wait for it.
    You'll quit doing that once the nut backs out from the top of the lid and media goes everywhere.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

The tumbling is finished and the soap is rinsed. Interestingly enough the casings turn mouth up when I see-saw the hardware cloth basket.

Boolit Master
    Hasn't happened after twenty some years. A proper rubber washer under the wing nut keeps me from being a wing nut. I even shot the thing once when a oppossum was trying to get into it to eat the corn cob. I hit the base not the tub. It bounced off the concrete after taking care of the big yard rat.

I have had them knock over the five gallon bucket I dump,them in after straining it. That makes a mess. I had the door open.

Must be slim pickins' for an opposum, he tried eating corn cob media!

Usually after my monthly match when I get home I’ll clean things up and put the guns and leather away, sort out my brass and shotgun hulls [they all go in my -for mtys- range bag] and put them in my walnut or corncob tumbler. I set the noisy thing in the gazebo on the deck and forget it until 3-4 hrs later. Next day I’ll separate the brass from the media, sort brass by caliber and put them in their appropriate jugs. That gives me a month to reload ‘em for the next shoot. Why in heavens name would you wait for brass to get cleaned? You might wait for the mailman to deliver 250 pcs of brass from starline thats been backordered for 3 months and is due today or a call from your local ffl guy that your 1917 Remington has arrived but I’d never wait for brass to tumble.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nah, Possums will eat just about anything.

I haven't made the switch to wet tumbling yet. It took me over twenty years to even buy a tumbler. I don't want shiny, but clean cases with little effort are nice.

I use ground English walnut hulls aka lizard bedding from the pet store, as the media in my old Midway 1292 tumbler. Yes it is the one that was supposed to catch fire.

I have one of the Dillon separators, a few turns dumps the media.

Robert

I have an old Thumlers that I have been using for about 45 years. Never once had the wing nut that holds the bowl or the lid back off. Even when I let it run over night. Now on the other hand I picked up a couple extra bowls with some stuff I bought a couple years ago. One of them is the nice shiny slick plastic. I use it for powder coating and the nut would back off on that rather quickly. I put a little bit of painter tape around where the nut tightens and that took care of that. Also you can try a jam nut system.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

3 hours? I've never ran my F.A.R.T. more than 1 hour, sometimes less. And the brass comes out as good as it can get. Hot water, pins Lemishine and a bit of Dawn or ArmorAll W&W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    3 hours? I've never ran my F.A.R.T. more than 1 hour, sometimes less. And the brass comes out as good as it can get. Hot water, pins Lemishine and a bit of Dawn or ArmorAll W&W.
    Me too. 90 minutes is the longest I run mine and cases look better than new.

Banned
    What tumbler are you using?
    things will speed up if you use 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid or lemi-shine, cut tumbling time down to 1 hour

Thanks for the responses guys. I was being a little bit sarcastic about the waiting. I really wanted to cast a bunch of bullets, we had this huge thunderstorm develop early Friday evening, thunder lightning the works , surprised we did not lose power, it dumped buckets of water and with high winds.

I really hope none of y'all was thinking I was sitting there in a chair watching the tumbler turn...

Did some barbecuing and 308 reloading, Priming, powdering, seating and crimping on the back porch Saturday evening. Early on Sunday it rained again, a light to moderate easy rain, nothing severe.

I attached my perfect powder measure to a stump, my buddies was laughing until they saw that I assembled 75 rounds real quick.

Tonight I have started trimming the 357 brass that I took out of the tumbler, trimming them short for a special project. When I'm done I'm going to run them to the tumbler again but this time with pins. I like minty primer pockets and deburred case mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    What tumbler are you using?
    things will speed up if you use 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid or lemi-shine, cut tumbling time down to 1 hour
    I'm using the large frankfort wet tumbler.

Boolit Grand Master

Tried wet tumbling, don't see a need. When I want faster cleaning I add about 20% hard resin tumbling media to my corn cob blast media. Speeds up the process but doesn't affect finish. I have a wobbler, but I prefer my rotary (a HF dual drum with custom drums). I'm never in a hurry with any reloading part so I normally fill my tumbler, turn it on and do something else. I bought some maybe 15-20 years ago and it doesn't wear out; https://www.harborfreight.com/520-lb...dia-63672.html
    Last edited by mdi; 08-18-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have a timer on my tumbler. I turn it on, set the time, and walk away. As mentioned above, I add about 30% coarse grain sand blasting media to my walnut media. Works nice.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I always wanted to try wet tumbling but the thought of using the pins had no appeal for me. Then I read where people were doing it without pins and tag dah. I use a few drops of Dawn with just a bit of lemishine in the HF tumbler and tumble for an hour and they’re nice and clean. I deprime first and a lot of the primer pockets come clean as well. I also use it to clean off lanolin case lube from rifle cases with just a shot of Dawn. I’m going to try using Armorall wash and wax next to see how well it works.

Boolit Master

I have dry tumbled with media , and then started washing with citrus acid and dawn then putting into tumblers , and have since went to rotary tumbler with pins dawn and citrus acid , it does clean nice .

How much of a difference does citric acid make in the wet tumbler?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast