Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting for a long time.

Boolit Master

Casting for a long time.

I have been casting sense I was 9 years old, not boolits. That was in 1950. My casting was to make fishing weights. I melted lead in a small cooking pot sitting in a small wood fire and using a spoon as a ladle. I used a piece of folded cloth to pick up the spoon. My mold was a 1/2" pipe plug, back then pipe plugs had a little rounded cavity in the bottom of the plug. I used a short piece of wire to make the loupe to tie the fishing line to. I did this until I was able to get jobs working for neighbor to make money to buy my fishing gear. I started casting boolits at about 27. I have enjoyed casting ever sense, winter summer it didn't mater. I lived in Phoenix 30 years, during the summer (115 degrees) I cast boolits in my small barn with the doors open and a large box fan blowing from behind. I can't even guess how many boolits I have cast. My last casting session was last month. I 'm not sure if I going to be able to do it for much longer, ( health problems and no energy). You guys just keep casting and I will read your threads, and posts and maybe even have another casting session casting for my sons shooting. I've loved it.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I melted my first wheel weight in March of 2020. I learned to make ingots with the coleman stove and a frying pan. Pretty soon after I decided I should make bullets. I bought and learned on Lee 2 cavity molds.

200 pounds of alloy later, now I make these. I bought these molds in January and March of this year. These are my favorite bullet pictures so far. I have showed them here before on cast boolits.

The round nose hollow point is for 9x19 and I made them last week. That day was hot!

These are all brass molds with the deepest hollowpoint pins installed. The aesthetic pleases me, and so I cast.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I melted my first wheel weight in March of 2020. I learned to make ingots with the coleman stove and a frying pan. Pretty soon after I decided I should make bullets. I bought and learned on Lee 2 cavity molds.

200 pounds of alloy later, now I make these. I bought these molds in January and March of this year. These are my favorite bullet pictures so far. I have showed them here before on cast boolits.

The round nose hollow point is for 9x19 and I made them last week. That day was hot!

These are all brass molds with the deepest hollowpoint pins installed. The aesthetic pleases me, and so I cast.

Very nice.

Boolit Master
    Chevroner, I too, started melting lead when I was 9. The idea was to make my own stinkers, but molds were hard to come by then. My dad took a thick piece of sheet metal and hammered it into the shape of a shallow ladle. That was my melting pot. I would melt the lead , then let it harden in the "pot" , dump the ingot and begin the process again. Didn't know about fluxing, but the lead was pretty clean. Never did cast any fishing sinkers, but I was hooked into melting lead. Eventually, I did get into casting boolits, and was successful in shooting a deer with one of my cast 452-255 rf, out of my Henry BBS in 45colt

Boolit Master
    I started casting for a muzzleloader in 1971 after I got out of the service. been playing with the silver stream ever since.

Boolit Master
    I see that three of us joined this Forum tha same year.
    I have truly enjoyed casting my own boolits,. My main reason for doing it was economics. At first it seemed like it was going to be an expensive hobby until I realized my equipment was paying for its self in short order. Of course as you start adding more stuff, ie molds, electric pots, sizing equipment, progressive presses and tons of other stuff it can be expensive. It has all paid for its self though. I have been able to shoot in competition and plinking that I otherwise would not have been able to afford.

Boolit Grand Master
    In 1966, my friend Jerry's Dad was casting boolits in his garage and after showing me how, let me cast up some. As I recall, they were 38 round nose, probably from a Lyman/Ideal 358-311, and some 30 cal boolits, both from single cavity molds. He also showed me his sizer and reloading press. I was extremely interested though it would be years later, after I got out of the Marine Corps, before I resumed casting.

But I have to say that these days, I am a boolit caster more than a shooter. There is something therapeutic about sitting down at the pot and making a pile of boolits. I can just sort of zone out and relax once I get in the groove and unlike reloading, I don't have to pay constant attention. Fill, pause, cut the sprue and repeat at whatever intervals the mold tells me is right. I can listen to the radio, and just enjoy the moment. I bought a LEE APP press to let me size faster, but It is the casting that refreshes.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Casting for a long time.

I admire your fortitude in our hobby.

I’ve been casting since my grandpa left me his 70yr old equipment (last used in the late 50s). Started by cleaning and restoring the old Saeco pot than to test it out if melted some of his old corn cob ingots to see how it went. Instantly got hooked despite a run in with the tinsel fairy that ruined my favorite fleece pull over and left some lead in my beard (thank god it didn’t hit my uncovered eyes). That’s when I found this forum in late 2015, for safety. I stayed for the camaraderie.

Now I have 30+ molds and I cast for both my dad and brothers when needed.

All that to throw a big thank you to all members for their contribution of knowledge.

45-70 Chev, maybe it’s time to get a master caster and just crank the handle?

A couple of photos for you.

(I’ve upgraded from grandpas kit a little but his old Saeco still sits near the other equipment and everyone once in a while see use when I need to do a small batch of something)
    Last edited by StuBach; 08-13-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Master

I started casting in 1969, and I have been hooked ever since.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I started casting in the late 60's with my Grandfather. We used a Lyman 10# pot, 4 cavity Lyman molds and a 450 Lyman sizer. The alloy was range scrap picked up from the back stop at the range. I still remember being fascinated by the undamaged 45 jacketed bullets showing only the rifling marks.

I still have the molds and sizer although I now use a RCBS Promelt, mostly H&G molds and a Star sizer.

I started working in a service station in high school and we switched to using wheelweights because I had free access to them. Wheelweights are still my go to alloy today.
    Last edited by lightman; 08-14-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I admire your fortitude in our hobby.

I’ve been casting since my grandpa left me his 70yr old equipment (last used in the late 50s). Started by cleaning and restoring the old Saeco pot than to test it out if melted some of his old corn cob ingots to see how it went. Instantly got hooked despite a run in with the tinsel fairy that ruined my favorite fleece pull over and left some lead in my beard (thank god it didn’t hit my uncovered eyes). That’s when I found this forum in late 2015, for safety. I stayed for the camaraderie.

Now I have 30+ molds and I cast for both my dad and brothers when needed.

All that to throw a big thank you to all members for their contribution of knowledge.

45-70 Chev, maybe it’s time to get a master caster and just crank the handle?

A couple of photos for you.

(I’ve upgraded from grandpas kit a little but his old Saeco still sits near the other equipment and everyone once in a while see use when I need to do a small batch of something)
    Great looking boolits. As to getting a Master Caster, I have enough saved up that I could get one, but at my age it would never pay for its self. I will be 80 this month and have some heart problems that greatly limits my activities. I really enjoy reading things on this web site though. It keeps my mint sharp.

Boolit Master
    Well so much for keeping my mind sharp. Looking back to my original post, I see that I had given away my age and health problems in it. Sorry for being redundant.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    What is your favorite bullets to cast and handload?

Boolit Buddy
    I hope you keep on casting for years, 45-70. I suspect that the more you cast, the longer you’ll be around TO cast. It seems to me to be an activity that’s so good for a person, pyschologically speaking, that it’s a longevity enhancer!

I saw my first bullet cast by a young friend maybe 30 years ago. He was casting roundballs for an old black powder pistol. I simply had never seen anyone make a lead bullet, sinker, ball, or anything before. It was fascinating. But I didn’t start actually casting until right around the time I joined this site.

I don’t have nearly enough time to do it any longer. I mostly live vicariously through you guys, here.

But what little time I HAVE had to cast, I’ve made sure my young kids are around and at least see it up close and personal (they’ve certainly cast more than a few, themselves), that they will at least have a passing knowledge of what is possible and take it someday themselves, as well.

Here’s wishing you many, many years of casting ahead.

8mmFan

I am 70 started casting in 1968 for a Replica 36 cal Navy. Now cast for every handgun and rifle I have,

Boolit Master
    Started casting 1964/65, got Lyman Bullet Casting Set for Christmas. Single cavity 31141(undersize), Lyman 45 Lubri-Sizer and .309 H&I Die. Marlin MicroGroove 30-30 with Lyman 66 receiver sight - results not so good, went to .311 and things got better, then got a 311407 that threw .312 bullets, sized to .311 and found accuracy with 12 grs I4227, then got a Savage 219 22 Hornet, Lyman 225415 at .225 worked great. I was on my own. No one I knew as a kid reloaded or shot anything bigger than .22's on a regular basis There was NO INTERNET. Lyman molds were about the only molds commonly available. In 1965 dollars, molds were very expensive. Internet did not really impact reloading until the late 80's-early 90's. At 72 I really appreciate the information and products available with click of a Mouse today. Modern manufacturing by Lee broke open the price barriers for reloading after much mail order was killed by the 1968 Mail Order Gun Control Act. I still smile thinking about all the MODEL PERFECT Herter's stuff. Now I have way too much STUFF but still do buy more. I have used a 45-70 Marlin for hunting elk since 1980 in Colorado, though I still harp about not needing 400 or 500 grain bullets to kill elk.

Boolit Master

I started casting in the early 60s when I was in my early 20s.
    Self taught all the way until the internet came along.
    I picked up a lot of tips on this site that made casting easier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I started casting in the early 60s when I was in my early 20s.
    Self taught all the way until the internet came along.
    I picked up a lot of tips on this site that made casting easier.
    I went in the Airforce in 1960 at 19, three months before my 20th birthday. Your probably close to my age. I didn't start cast boolits until I was 29. It has been a lot of fun especially sense getting on this site, I have gained a lot on here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    I hope you keep on casting for years, 45-70. I suspect that the more you cast, the longer you’ll be around TO cast. It seems to me to be an activity that’s so good for a person, pyschologically speaking, that it’s a longevity enhancer!

I saw my first bullet cast by a young friend maybe 30 years ago. He was casting roundballs for an old black powder pistol. I simply had never seen anyone make a lead bullet, sinker, ball, or anything before. It was fascinating. But I didn’t start actually casting until right around the time I joined this site.

I don’t have nearly enough time to do it any longer. I mostly live vicariously through you guys, here.

But what little time I HAVE had to cast, I’ve made sure my young kids are around and at least see it up close and personal (they’ve certainly cast more than a few, themselves), that they will at least have a passing knowledge of what is possible and take it someday themselves, as well.

Here’s wishing you many, many years of casting ahead.

8mmFan
    All true, thank you.

I started with humble beginnings by casting fishing weights too.
    I was about 11-12, and in the garage I found a propane torch, and figured out how to light it off.

Then I'd put a 3/8s nut on the small workbench, melt solder into it, and stick a wire loop in the molten solder.
    It was kind of hard on the wooden table top, but I made my own sinkers!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast