Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that enjoys casting bullets.

Am I the only one that enjoys casting bullets.

Have always enjoyed casting bullets accept in really hot weather. Am I the only one?

Boolit Master
    I’m right there with you. I cast whenever time allows just cause it’s a great way to clear my head and enjoy some “me” time. I agree though, if it’s over 65 degrees or below 30 in my garage it loses some of the appeal.

When I get the casting mindset it is almost a Zen experience. Very mellow when you get into the rhythm with a couple of well behaved molds dropping good boolits every cycle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure you're on a forum full of people who really like casting. I suppose there may be some who do it out of necessity, but for the most part, if we're here, we're probably pretty into it.

Ryan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would do more casting, if I could. I'm with Ryan & Thumbcocker. Here lately, I've been spending all my productive time working on my workshop, which is at least nominally separate from reloading area. There is stuff in the reloading area that needs to move into the shop, and vise versa, and once the shop is done, I'll be moving into the reloading area. That's also my office, library, and electronics area. The office is marginally useful, the rest not so much. I got the new cabinet for my Atlas lathe more or less done yesterday. I'm on the honey-do list right now, and tomorrow is my 39th Anniversary, so I may not get to move the lathe until Sunday, or later. Still a lot of organizing to do in the shop, too. And in the house.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I must still be a 10 year old at heart. Something about casting molten lead that appeals to me. Temperature range where I cast, of from 55 degrees up to 75 is ok with me. It is kind of a mental reset; especially when the mold begins to drop perfect boolits. I don't know much about Zen but may be that.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I prefer casting to loading.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I prefer casting to loading.
    I am there with you. Find casting helps me to calm my nerves and settle the brain. I enjoy reloading but like casting better. I do really enjoy shooting the bullets cast to see how they preform. Cast a 100 6mm today but it was 92 degrees and I quit in less then a hour.

Boolit Master
    I like casting with my 4 and 6 cavity molds. The 2 cav gets a bit tedious. This time of year I shoot mostly.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I was casting a little before lunch with a new mold from Accurate molds. It was about 85 outside and humid. I'll probably cast some more tonight as I only got a few pounds of good bullets before I had to leave for work. That's about as hot as I can stand. I was dripping sweat by the time I finished up. I'll cast down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit in my detached garage. With the right apparel the cold doesn't phase me.
    Last edited by reddog81; 08-12-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Most of my casting is slugs for swaging.

Two hours of casting with a 6-cavity mould gives me enough slugs to last a couple of months.

Cheers,

Dave

I like doing it.

Not only do I save a buck or two, but it keeps me out of those crooked BINGO parlors.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast and reload to save $$$.

If 9mm/.38 bullets were $40/1000, and .40's were $50/1000, I would never cast another pistol bullet unless the government made it necessary to cast to get bullets.

Rifle bullets make even less sense for me. I do not own any "weird" calibers that benefit from cast or some voodoo profile. LOL

I must have $2000 in stuff to cast bullets not including about 2 tons of alloy. I would love to find someone who would have fun converting that alloy to bullets.
    Don Verna

I enjoy it, and loading as well.
    Almost as much as shooting.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Vendor Sponsor

I enjoy casting better than reloading. I own a commercial casting business but I really enjoy breaking out my 5 hole molds and making my own bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Buddy

Why I like casting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CastChessPcsBeforeAfter.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	287439 . I like recycling lead from the range and saving money in the process. Here's a chess set my daughter and I cast together. I keep busy playing with the scrap alloyed lead I pickup at the range. Yesterday I tested lead ingots I made and left in my garage for a few months. The hardness changed but I was able to test the bhn with pencils and separate the ingots by hardness. The softest ingots are for my .38wc and .45s. Today I mixed and matched the hardest and second hardest ingots for various pistol calibers, taking a piece of each ingot of a group and mixing together so I can get a better mix of the same alloy, then I swirl cast the bullets. I'm going pc and let the bullets sit awhile, then temper one batch to compare loads with a tempered to a seasoned bullet. Experimenting is fun to me. I wish I could use them for hunting but CA banned lead bullets. Maybe I can talk a Texan into taking some from me and shooting a dead pig carcass so I can see how well my creations expand.

I only cast for my Muzzle loader, .490rb (Pure lead, and .50 conicals. I have well over 1,000 of each. (I cast now because I enjoy it), Same reason I reload. I don't NEED more. I reload for 30-06,30-30, .38 s&w, .45acp, . I have at least 1,000 rounds loaded for each. I have 2 1,000 round bricks of CCI .22lr. I reload now because it relaxes me, and I just want more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I am there with you. Find casting helps me to calm my nerves and settle the brain. I enjoy reloading but like casting better. I do really enjoy shooting the bullets cast to see how they preform. Cast a 100 6mm today but it was 92 degrees and I quit in less then a hour.
    I set up my garage so I can cast year-round.
    With 2 vent fans over my pot and another that vents the whole garage if needed.
    I have a small heater for the winter (doesn't take much with the big door closed)
    I also have a big 2-speed squirrel-cage fan out of a furnace mounted on an end wall that blows down the front of you casting bench that keeps me cool on hot days.
    {**** IF you use a squirrel-cage fan out of a furnace, you need to block 2/3 of the air inlet to simulate the backpressure of the fan being in the furnace so it will run faster and not burn itself out}

Boolit Master
    Well......YES. If I didn't like it then why would I do it?

At one time I thought about buying an automated unit. Then figured I would be missing out on all the fun. Kinda same with reloading.

I do enjoy casting rifle bullets a lot more than pistol bullets. Taking the extra time to get as close to perfect as I can so the groups will be smaller at longer ranges.

Not at all! When I jut want to go relax, I fire up the casting pot. I tolerate reloading, well over 350K rds in the last 45y, but I do enjoy casting. Hand casting or the Magma Caster, its all just good relaxing & turning scrap into something useful.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast