Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting glass with magnification

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post

Finally, what the heck is an occulator?
    An occluder is basically a blinder that covers the non-aiming eye. The one I use with my Knobloch shooting glasses flips up out of the way when you aren't shooting. It allows you to keep both eyes open while still not allowing the non-aiming eye to see the target. In your case, if you simply can't keep both eyes open, it won't help you. But it may be worth a try to experiment using one to see if it helps focusing the aiming eye. Many things can be temporarily attached to your glasses to test the theory. And it is true that the human eye can't focus at three different distances, but an adjustable iris will help you get close to achieving that.

Boolit Master

An occulator is a blind that allows you to keep both eyes open but the vision is blocked by the occulator. Many are black but you want a translucent one to allow both eyes to receive the same amount of light. A piece of frosted scotch tape will work.
    Your pupil opens and closes depending on how much light it sees. There is more depth of field ( photographic term ) the smaller the pupil is. Depth of field is the range or distance that things are in clear focus. Without correction, on a bright day your range of things in focus may 42" to infinity. On a cloudy day or indoors your uncorrected depth of field may be 60" to infinity.
    The color or darkness of lenses regulate how much your pupils are open. With all other things equal, your depth of field will be less with sunglasses on because your pupils will be open wider. There is a point where the brightness is uncomfortable and sunglasses are needed.
    Also lens color can be used to heighten contrast. Shotgunners use certain colors to highlight the color of the orange clay targets.

For many years I have worn Zeiss "Transition" lenses for driving. These are what lesser optical companies call "no-line bifocals". At the top they are correct for long ranges, and they smoothly transition to a reading-glsss magnification at the bottom. For in-between ranges, just tilt your head a little to get the line of sight through the portion of the lens that works best. Downside is that they're expensive - I just got new ones (because my eyes have changed over the last 15 years). Optometrists charges + lab charges amounted to almost $600, (and I retained my old titanium frames). Wearing them is like having my young man's eyes back. Only thing I'm aware of is that the field at 2 feet distance is narrow. (Can't have everything.) I still use ordinary readers for the computer and reading books.

Factoid: The human eye is most sensitive in the yellow wavelengths. This is why yellow lenses give you better contrast discrimination for skiing or driving or shooting on cloudy days.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    I'm expecting a pair of lenses from Decot up in Phoenix early next week I sent them my prescription and explained about the front sight going blurry, they're making me a pair of lenses for my existing Decot frame. They pretty much cater exclusively to shooters so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Boolit Grand Master

I have tri-focals which aid, some. The mid-range portion gives good focus on front sight, but as mentioned above very difficult to focus in all 3 planes, so I looked for remedies. First was the stick on diopers (?) which worked pretty good. I installed a peep sight on my Ruger SBH which helped at 50+ yds. But in the last few years I have used red dot sights. Both tubular and reflex, with no magnification, the target is clear and I just put the dot where I want to hit. (I have been using inexpensive sights which seem to work quite well for my uses)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!