MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: It redeemed itself.

It redeemed itself.

Last time I shot this I couldn't hit the the side of a barn. I was having a bad shooting day. I threatened to send the gun down the road.

After a "time out" in the safe I brought it out and did some dry firing I tried again. Moral of the story; don't get rid of a good gun after one bad day.

P.s. the flyer at 1 o'clock was me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I like the look of that pistol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Any (all) of us can have a bad day at the range. Sometimes we just need to "sleep on it" and figure out if it's the gun, the loads, or the shooter just having an off day. I'm glad you were able to get things dialed in. Nice shooting!

I am glad it learned it lesson and hopefully will keep the right attitude.

Does that load make a fireball and concussion?

I have a four trip rule(it used to be three trips but I don't have consistently good days like I used to). If a gun doesn't show signs of having acceptable accuracy after four trips to the range, it goes down the road.
    I don't think I have ever sold a gun after a single range trip no matter how poorly it shot the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Does that load make a fireball and concussion?

It causes the gun to back off the boolit rather smartly. That charge with a similar weight Ranch Dog boolit out of my 7 1/2" hunter model goes 1400 fps. I don't think a whitetail slows it down a whole lot. At least not enough to catch a boolit. That is my go to charge for 265 ish grain boolits. In low light it is pretty bright. This boolit takes up less space in the case. It is the Mia clone of the Lyman devestator hp but with the solid pins in.

I do not use magnum primers. There is some unburned powder but I think that is the nature of the beast. Cases almost fall out.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

That's awesome thumbcocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Last time I shot this I couldn't hit the the side of a barn. I was having a bad shooting day. I threatened to send the gun down the road.

After a "time out" in the safe I brought it out and did some dry firing I tried again. Moral of the story; don't get rid of a good gun after one bad day.

P.s. the flyer at 1 o'clock was me.

I like the looks of that grip. I might actually be able to fire that gun without killing my hand on the trigger guard, with lighter loads, of course.
    What grip is that please?

Super Moderator

They are Hogue grips, I have the exact same ones on my Blackhawk 5-1/2" 44 Mag. I think they are kinda homely, but they are very comfortable and effective at controlling heavy loads.

Just a plain old Hogue. It fills in the space behind the trigger guard really well. It also keeps the gun from twisting in your hand. I know that is sacrilege to some SA shooters but I don't like having to rebuild my grip after each shot. My opinion only. I have a love /hate relationship with the finger grooves. I think it would be better without them but Hogue appears to disagree with me.

An added bonus, if one is so inclined, is that Bowen made (don't know if they still do) a lanyard ring that replaces the screw in the bottom of the grip that holds it on. I have a thing for lanyard rings. Especially hunting from a tree stand. I have to suppress a strong desire to speak in a British accent when I am shooting a gun with a lanyard ring ; )

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know if the current ones are the same thread; but Hogue used to use 10-32 screws, which conveniently was the same thread used for the machine screw type sling swivel studs from Uncle Mike's.

I know I put a few on Hogue grips back in the 90's.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Grandad had a Colt revolver of some sort that was his " If I cant hit it with this it"s a bad shooting day" and would try another day. If he could hit it with the Colt the other pistol was gone.
    But grandad was fond of the spirits and would pawn the gun to others when broke! The last friend he pawned it to never would sell it back, it was a 45LC revolver of some model.
    Aaron

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I like the look of that pistol.

Me too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Vendor Sponsor

Is that one of the Rugers that come with a flinch installed?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banner Sponsor

I've got it's cousin
    Only mine is a 45 Colt. I had to put the taller front sight on mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have that same pistol. The short barrel and ample recoil make it easy to have a bad day shooting paper for groups, I think steel or reactive targets must allow for a bit of “fudge factor” as I’ve made some impressive shots while shooting informally with the guys.

Mine has a taller front sight with a white line up the face that Mr. Clements was kind enough to make for me. I was using the rubber Hogues but switched to single finger groove hardwood and then to no finger groove hardwood. They don’t look SAAish but I don’t get purple knuckle syndrome after a box of ammo. FWIW You can grind the grooves off the rubber grip but beware that the center one has a pocket for the frame so you can’t take it down very far.

I have carried it deer hunting but never dropped the hammer on venison to date. They seem to make themselves scarce when it’s afield.

I get ready for deer season by shooting hunting loads in my orneriest handgun with hunting loads at paper targets. Paper targets are not your friends. They will not lie for you and they don't care about your feelings.

Later when I sight in my longer barrel revolvers I mostly shoot at cans or smaller targets at 50 yards or more. I practice from a Weaver stance but that is my least used position for hunting. I usually have the rail of the tree stand to use as a rest or at a minimum I can lean my left shoulder against a tree.

Only one deer with a short barrel. 44 magnum. A blue one (gun not deer)