RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Black Ants

Boolit Master

Little Black Ants

Little Black Ants showed up a couple months ago. I've tried the liquid traps from the hardware store and nothing. They got into breakfast this morning so I thought I'd ask the brain trust. How do I get rid of them?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I've always had luck with the liquid traps. Had to use two at once last time. But no sign of them again. Yet.

As mentioned below. The traps I used were Terri (yellow) I believe.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XDROB; 08-10-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Are they sugar ants?

Boolit Buddy
    I have had very good luck with the TERRO liquid bait stations. They are not traps but as soon as I set one near their path they change their route and head to the bait station. They keep coming for a day or so until the bait has killed them but then that is it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master
    I just looked. Terro liquid bait stations is what I used. The first time activity was down for a day but they were right back.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Are they sugar ants?
    I know they like sugar and pork. and now hash browns.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-10-2021 at 12:22 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Pray that you never get Japanese fire ants.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    there is this liquid stuff that comes in a big syringe, can't remember what it is but they used to have it in Lowes , same stuff used by Orkin when I had my house tented for termites and a week later black ants everywhere , the Orrin tech told me they were after the termite larvae. just a few dabs in the trails of the black ants and they were gone in about a week.
    boric acid is another thing that will kill bugs and ants without poisoning you.
    there is also diatomaceous earth, you want food grade. its smaller or different composition than the stuff for pool filters

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Sounds like sweet ants. The terro works until the sugar water bait gels and skins over, then they loose interest. I mix my own with sugar water (hummingbird mix) and boric acid (borax flux/laundry additive). Drop or two on a scrap of paper and they come running. Freshen daily.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I've had great luck with any and all of the products made by Terro and Bengal.

This reminded me of something that happened back in the 80s when I worked at the auto. paint store:

The store was in a strip shopping center, and had windows across the entire front.
    I was at the counter in the front, and saw these two women pull up in a big, new Mercedes.
    They got out and were dressed like they stopped on their way to the Academy Awards.

Even through they would be 20 feet away from their car on the other side of a wall of clear glass,
    they went through a ritual of locking their car up, then checking all the doors.

I was a little stunned. We normally didn't have women in luxury cars, wearing obviously very expensive clothes, and
    wearing a double handful of diamond jewelry come into the car paint and body shop supply store.

They came in, after making sure no one else was within earshot, one leaned over the counter, and asked me,
    "What's the best way to kill roaches"?

I'm not sure what possessed me to say it, but I quietly told them, "I boil them alive like you would do a lobster".

They looked at me like I was a nut, and without another word, they very quickly left.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I mix boric acid with sugar. They take it back to the nest, and kills all of them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Continue using bait stations, but also find the ants’ entry to your home. Spray that with Triazicid or something similar. Once the newcomers stop arriving your bait stations should finish off whatever is already in the house.

In my case a fence was like a superhighway to the house. Spraying the fence finished the ants. Several people told me that trees touching the house are a good entry way too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I mix boric acid with sugar. They take it back to the nest, and kills all of them.
    Greetings,

How much of each? I have Boric Acid, Sugar and water.

Need to know the ratios.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

We get small black ants, brown carpenter ants and the tiny crazy ants at different times. The Terro works on small black & crazy ants. Carpenter ants get the “ant & termite” injectable foam spray.
    You’ll have more success if you discover where they’re getting in. When you see them in an area watch the path they’re using. At one end or the other they are entering. That’s where you want to bait, or for carpenter ants inject the access point several days in a row then seal it up.
    Carpenter ants like damp wood to burrow into. Check for soft spots in trim boards and areas that are getting mold.
    And as others said, I’ve backtracked ants that were using the one single tree leaf that touched the house to cross from the yard to an outside wall then in to the home.
    Every 3 months I treat a 2 foot perimeter along the outside walls with Spectrom Tryacide sprayer (not sure of the spelling) attached to garden hose.
    Diatomaceous earth works too until it gets damp or wet. Not much luck with it outdoors.

I spray around the entire exterior of my house. 3 ft up, to 3 ft out, and most of the rest of my yard with Bifen I/T. twice a summer season.

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-2...9&sub_id=11662
    I don't have any bugs, of any kind, anywhere. It's illegal in New York, so you know it has to be good.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Two pairs of banty chickens will make you ant free and provide small eggs.

Boolit Grand Master

For the small black ants that show up , first outside around and in the dish I feed the cat (wet cat food)usually summer , winter the cat eat /stay inside , I don't if they are crazy or sugar or what ...just very small and black and they don't sting like the big nasty Fire (Red) Ants ... when I see them
    I sprinkle all around the outside perimeter of the house with Amdro Fire Ant Bait granules . I also use the stuff on fire ants , they pick it up and carry it back into the nest ...sprinkle some on the ant mounds in the yard when they appear ... works great on fire ants and mounds .
    Tried it on the black ants once when another brand of "Bait Station" that supposedly was for black ants didn't do Doodly-Squat to them - big waste of money . So... I Sprinkled Amdro lightly around and the little black beggars disappeared ... Awesome !!! I Usually have to do it twice a year but the Amdro works on both red fire and little black , so I keep a bottle handy and feed them all .
    So far they haven't gotten inside my house .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have mixed 1 spoonfull Mule Team Borax and 3 spoons sugar into a plastic soda bottle,added a few drops water to it, and shook it to mix.
    Then the bottles were laid on top of some pretty big anthills, and they carried the mixture back down into the hill. After a couple weeks all ant activity stopped. I think if you sprinkled that mixture around the foundation, and on pieces of paper where you see ant activity, they will eventually take it down into the colony and die

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    How much of each and do you add water.

Amazon also has boric acid Suppositories but the ants are awfully small.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    How much of each and do you add water.

Amazon also has boric acid Suppositories but the ants are awfully small.
    If you try that please video the procedure and share it ‘cause politics is getting very disturbing to watch and we are due for some good old DIY lessons and some chuckles lately!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast