RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vets and medical stuff

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen 1 bad reaction to a vaccine in 17.5 years of service. It was the Japanese encephalitis vaccine, a disease which is spread by mosquitos, and the shot was administered to everyone prior to our deployment to Japan. Immediate Anaphylactic shock resulted. The Marine lived but didn't deploy with us. He was still awaiting discharge 8 months later when we returned from deployment. Long-term lasting effects were a heart murmur, I'm not sure if anything else developed after he left the service. It was sad to see, but adverse reactions to vaccines aren't anything new.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Once you raise your right hand and take the oath, you're gov't property. You do what you're told and go where they want you.
    Don’t know about you but back in the day Doc with the gun or needle was before the table to get paid. No shot no money, so we had very few problems with people getting their shots.

Banned
    well in 2008 they gave us 18 admitted shots, but MOST of those were double and and triple needle syringe injectors that did not match the big photo poster on the wall. SO we figured we had been given perhaps 25 to 27 different actual chemicals.

The fun thing is, people actually do get messed up by the injections. Some think its 1 in 4.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I was never in military, had to register for the draft but never got drafted.
    I was reading yesterday that when you join armed forces they make you into a pin cushion making you get as many as 17 vaccines for all sorts of stuff.
    is this what really happens?
    Yep. Readiness for battle is what the military is all about, not political shenanigans. You get the vaccines and you don't question it, and life goes on.

Boolit Master

Once you raise your right hand and take the oath, you're gov't property. You do what you're told and go where they want you.
    Exactly

Boolit Master

I went in in 1970, every Saturday morning was shot day. Went in by platoon to the dayroom. Depending on the vaccines, right or left sleeve pulled up and sometimes both. They were using the pneumatic guns on occasion. You had to remain still or get a nasty cut. One medic had a pneumatic injector in his left hand, a tray of hypodermic needles to his right. As you came up, he used the gun, then stuck you with the needle. He was good. Everybody went thru, some shaking in their boots. Most of the vaccines caused no issues. On the last Saturday before graduating, we got the bubonic plague vaccine. My platoon was the 3rd of 5 to go through. 3rd and 2nd were before us. I'm the 1st squad leader of the 1st platoon. We get back into ranks, and I am checking my people and I look down at 3rd platoon, and there are people on the ground. Uh-Oh. I go over and tell a drill sgt., and he hotfoots it down there. Drill sgts. put us in our barracks. We carried 3 of our people out to go to the hospital. Don't know how many others from other platoons were transported. Didn't bother me or my squad, though. What was sad was when a soldier was going overseas and lost his shot record. Got to go to the dispensary and get about 12 shots. Wasn't a pleasant sight. I saw it in person, several times.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up the “peanut butter shot” when you get bored …

Boolit Master

Got tons of shots when I joined the Navy and throughout my enlistment. Also got tons of shots in the Air Force as well. When the doc in the AF saw my Navy shot record he started shaking his head. He said half of what I got in the Navy they can't even give you anymore.......Nice. Most of my shot record says "unknown manufacturer/unknown expiration".
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Yep I got like 12 sperate ones at reception
    Followed by anthrax for deployment and a few others. Probably got 25 total
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Ps your sick as a dog the following two or three days lol, but with as nasty as some of them guys are ( 17 yr who think it's normal not to shower weekly ) I'm glad we had them
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    It's a pill now lol
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    That made me laugh. Do remember well. Could always tell what week of boot camp they were in by the limping.
    I am not a criminal. Dump HR127.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Yep.

When you take that oath, you belong to the military and your physical well being is important to them. If you go out and get hurt due to doing something stupid, they can and will punish you under the UCMJ, seen it happen. If you're not willing to deal with this, stay out of the military.
    And that is what they told us about getting a tattoo.
    If it gets infected you can be brought up on charges for destroying
    Government property.
    I am not a criminal. Dump HR127.

Boolit Buddy
    I still have my old shot record too and it shows the last flu shot they made me take just before I was discharged in late 68. It made me so sick I thought I was dying, but it worked so well that I have never needed another one since.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Gamagobulin, aka the golfball in the left cheek, wasn't much fun the next day. I was glad I had a bottom rack and didn't have to try to jump down. Rumor Control had it that only those of us going to Great Lakes had to get it, not the ones in San Diego or Florida.

The worst was the Chicken Pox vaccine, given with a pneumatic gun. I watched the guy in front of me get a nice circular scar when the Corpsman's hand shook as he pulled the trigger. The bad part was I had already had chicken pox as a kid.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    you get as many as 17 vaccines for all sorts of stuff. is this what really happens?
    Oh yeah. Depending on where ya go---- it's a lot more than 17.
    You may only get 17 in Boot Camp, but there's more on down the road.

I served from '73-80, and traveled a bit.
    My old shot record is around someplace, it's the standard yellow one that they give you when ya get a passport and leave the country.
    Mine is just about full of dates and stamps from what all we got.
    Any time you went over seas or on a deployment/trip, they'd run ya in to get a few for whatever part of the world you were going to.

Sometimes the wheels turn pretty fast too, and it's amazing what all vaccinations the military keeps on hand.
    One morning I got a call at 0500 to pack for 2 weeks, and be at Sick Bay in 30 minutes for shots.
    The Navy Corpsmen were waiting, and had a big tray of them laid out and were waiting on us.

It was only four of them that time, then I went on to the hanger, got on a Huey for a quick ride to Andrews AFB.
    There, a AF C-130 was 'turning', all warmed up, and waiting to take us to Mexico City.
    We were rolling towards the duty runway before the Crew Chief had the door latched.

I didn't make that trip, but the same thing happened to some of my buddies when they got sent to Cairo, Egypt.

Active duty GIs get vaccinated for a laundry list of things in other countries that we've never even heard of.
    The only bad reaction I ever saw was one guy that got sort of sick the 1st year (1978) we got the flu shot.

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-10-2021 at 07:58 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Was discussing this with a couple of other vets not so long ago. Not only was I inoculated against about everything in the disease dictionary during my two tours in 'Nam but when working for the USAF as a CIVILIAN during the H1N1 ('Swine Flu') scare of 1976 we were bussed from our office to the base hospital with the directive: "get your shot or don't even think about coming in tomorrow morning"...and, sure 'nuff, next morning AF Security Police at the gates were checking for vaccination slips. Btw...for those of you missed out on this little fiasco, within 48 hours, 40% of base personnel were experiencing "adverse reactions" to the vaccine. A few years later, a doctor who had been in residency at a large hospital in 1976 told me that, afterward, it was estimated that, nationwide, the vaccine had killed more people than the H1N1 flu strain.

Bill
    I'm a Department of the Army civilian now, stationed in Korea. When I arrived, I received Smallpox, Japanese Encephalitis, Anthrax, and a couple of others that I've forgotten the names of - with periodic boosters. And yes, I've had my two (NOT mandatory, but STRONGLY RECOMMENDED) COVID jabs.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Back when I was young & dumb,, and joined the Army,, I didn't think anything about getting shots. And yes,, the Army made sure we got a lot of them.
    Same experience here. I could have been anywhere on the planet in 24 hours, no landing strip required, and one had to have ones shots long before arriving. One had to function and survive. Heck, you wanted to survive! Getting the shot on the tarmac wouldn't work. Yeah, we were pincushions. I have my shot record somewhere. But I'm home and don't travel to where I would ever need that stuff today. Quite happy to stay home and out of harms way, all sorts of harm. Hope what I have shots for never comes here. But slow joe and company seems quite willing to bring it into the USA and spread it around.

Banned

Yup. You take an OATH to obey the orders you receive and not just the ones that you like or agree with. I kind of chuckle at guys who are complaining. They knew when they joined but like the liberals today want to change everything. Dont like the way the military works DONT JOIN. Its not like a single soul in the service today was drafted.

Boolit Man

Guidance is being provided that will allow a service member to decline the jab from the manufactures that use fetal remains in their products.

Nothing more to prove.

As soon as I receive the guidance I will post it.

Frank
    USAF Retired: SAC Trained Warrior
    "Fighting for my 2nd Amendment Rights"
    WWG1WGA
    Where is Durham and McAfee? Asking for a friend…..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast