Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your retirement rifle and caliber

I have a 1972 Marlin 44mag. Good for waking the creeks for pigs alone. good for the sole.. By the by what is the retirement age in the US?

Boolit Master
    Retire with a Social Security check at 62.

Boolit Grand Master
    Winchester model 70 Featherweight in 220 Swift
    and
    Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 35 Whelen
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    My hunting rifle is an old tang safety Ruger in 280. I hunted steady with for 40 plus years.
    My shooting rifles are 30-06’s with receiver sites or battle sights . They only see cast .
    I do have a nice old 35 Whalen. A Remington 725 from 1958 . Been rebarreled and chambered from a 270 by Jes to 35 Whalen. I think that will be the rifle to use, I retire in about a month

Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    I have a 1972 Marlin 44mag. Good for waking the creeks for pigs alone. good for the sole.. By the by what is the retirement age in the US?
    A good many retire at 55 mostly government workers.
    You can start getting social security at 62 maybe it's 65 at a reduced rate, the longer you hold off the bigger the check.
    I held off until 68, tried to retire, but they didn't want to let go of me, so I work part time 3 days a week.
    I save more money now than I ever could working full time. Nice to be able to afford a few toys.
    I'm sure Ol Sleepy Joe will try to screw that up though.

Boolit Master

I have the same rifle love it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    A good many retire at 55 mostly government workers.
    You can start getting social security at 62 maybe it's 65 at a reduced rate, the longer you hold off the bigger the check.
    I held off until 68, tried to retire, but they didn't want to let go of me, so I work part time 3 days a week.
    I save more money now than I ever could working full time. Nice to be able to afford a few toys.
    I'm sure Ol Sleepy Joe will try to screw that up though.
    later you retire the less time you have to enjoy your hard earned fruits
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

You will get more $ at 62 than later,you get a slightly smaller S.S. payout monthly but for years and it pays more over the long haul. Everybody now who collects S.S. Is put on Medi -Care regardless of whether or not you ever qualified (this is not good). Nothing good remains to be implemented by this gov.

Boolit Master
    A "retirement" rifle? For what use?

I love venson. I have come to prefer deer hunting in my deep southern woodlands where visibility is limited and shots rarely exceed 80 yards but can be as far as 175 yards. For that I need an easily handled rifle and cartridge that's an accurate modest range combo that reliably gets the job done without blowing up a lot of meat or beating hard on my old injury damaged shoulders.

I need, I have, I love and I deer hunt with a perfect condition early 1970s 336 Marlin/.35 Rem with a 1" Pachmyer recoil pad and an old Bushnell 1.75-5x scope low mounted in Redfield's original "Quick Release" steel rings and base. Trigger breaks clean at 3#. The worst of my 200 gr RN @ 2,080 fps Varget handloads run just under 1.4 moa.

Guess I'd take $3,500 for it right now but as long as I'm still on my feet that lovely old device will not be sold at any reasonable price.

Boolit Buddy
    Already ordered: Shiloh Sharps 1877 #1, .45-70 30" heavy half octagon, D&T for an MVA "A" series scope.

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Retire with a Social Security check at 62.
    wow' i am 65 Can't get a pension here in Australia till i'm 66 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    later you retire the less time you have to enjoy your hard earned fruits
    i agree. You have to slow down and smell the roses.

I built this 03A3 NRA Sporter just for my retirement. I built it in 2007 and retired in 2008. I did the stock and much of the metal work. I did have a good gunsmith install a new old stock 4 groove SC barrel and another did the metal finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRA Sporter (640x263).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I built this 03A3 NRA Sporter just for my retirement. I built it in 2007 and retired in 2008. I did the stock and much of the metal work. I did have a good gunsmith install a new old stock 4 groove SC barrel and another did the metal finish.
    YES Sir, that is old school classy style. unclemikeinct

Boolit Mold
    Been buyin my retirement gun for 50 years and still aint got it right. I'm a keep practicing though!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    Been buyin my retirement gun for 50 years and still aint got it right. I'm a keep practicing though!!
    I just found out I qualify for pension as I've been a senior for 5 yrs now, like you, I've been practising what I want for the last 45 yrs or so, I've even figured out what I dont want to do (work full time for self) I've been toying with the idea of maybe lingerie installer or model critique

I was thinking of a Merkel K5 in 7x57.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nockhunter View Post
    I was thinking of a Merkel K5 in 7x57.

Mike
    That's a beautiful rifle and excellent choice of chambering.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I keep having this problem, solving the problem, then another devil comes up with just one more temptation. The other day, psst, psst, you want to trade, what ya got…. Here we go, down the dark path, of dies, brass, molds, etc.
    I do not deer hunt, but….hogs, well, anywhere any time. They make a great excuse to build just one more thumper.
    Latest is an older, nice condition, Winchester 94 XTR Big Boy, in 375 Win. Now I need a 375 plan base mould in about 300g. Brass and dies are shipped.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I think I just got my "Retirement Rifle". A 1982 Sako L579 Super Deluxe 22-250. It was still unfired last week, a famous finnish barrel maker got retired and sold his collection. 22-250 is not whitetail legal here but good for roe deer that are delicious -and spreading fast around here.

I enjoy small groups off the bags and I know my shoulder problems are coming back one day. 59 years now, had a stent for five years already. Pre-retired if you like.

My barrel break-in shots #9-11pictured here, Norma factory 55 FMJ:s @ 100 meters:

This one should hold under 2" @ 300 meters. Most of these did. They don't make these like they used to...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast