Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead shot score!

Lead shot score!

I was able to purchase 580 pounds of #7 and #8 shot the other day. I got it for $1.00 per pound. Pretty stoked!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

You should be stoked. Great find!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! Is this to load shotshells with or to melt down and cast with?

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! Great score. I use lead shot (if the hard kind with antimony and arsenic) to alloy with pure lead to make great boolits for both hunting and target in either pistol or rifle. My favorite alloy is 60% pure and 40% shot. Just using the shot makes boolits a little to hard and brittle for my taste. If you aren't sure how hard it is, make an ingot and do the drop test on concrete to see if thuds or rings.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Nice Score! Is this to load shotshells with or to melt down and cast with?
    Melt down to cast with.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master

There are probably a lot of people willing to buy that shot at a price that would fetch a nice profit to you.
    Spend the money on a good alloy to cast with and make shotgunners happy.

Boolit Master

I tried reselling shot once, no one wants to pay the freight. I use it to alloy with now.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Melt down to cast with.
    It's a lot more valuable as shot and you're gonna waste it. I'd trade you pound for pound o range salvage ingots if I was close, but you should find an avid shotgunner and make a trade or turn some dollars on that deal. You could sell it for $2 a pound and both you and the trap shooter would be very happy about it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd definitely be willing to buy some. You can ship it like regular lead with up to 62 pounds per USPS flat rate box.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice score!

Banned

Tell you what; I'll send you a large flat rate of range salvage ingots for a large flate rate box of that shot, should come out to about 60 pounds each. The ingots will be a lot easier for you to use, melting shot is kind of nasty with the graphite coating. Let me know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Tell The ingots will be a lot easier for you to use, melting shot is kind of nasty with the graphite coating. Let me know.
    This is so true. I helped a friend melt some shot once and it was the hardest thing I have melted to date. The oxidation and graphite acted like insulation. We had to stir the melt aggressively and mash the un-melted shot against the sides of the pot. With a layer of unmelted shot on top my thermometer registered over 1000º with the melted stuff on the bottom of the pot.

We tried selling it without luck. It was free, and the old Gentleman that gave it away had an interesting story to go with it.

Boolit Master

I have to ask, where did you find such a score?

Boolit Master
    70 lbs in med flat rate dont need large 1

I inherited about 200# of mixed shot sizes in bags. No shotgun shooters that I knew were interested so I melted it into ingots with a bit of solder added. All I had to do was flux with candles and stir frequently to remove the graphite. Some of the best hard metal I ever had, pistol bullets are 50/50 and rifle are 70/30 shot to lead. Congratulations on your score

Boolit Buddy
    70 pounds in a medium flat rate box. Gross weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I have to ask, where did you find such a score?
    Guy I know had an elderly neighbor who was an avid shotgunner pass away and his wife asked him to sell off all the stuff. Scored all the shot and like 14 pounds of powder.

Not interested in any trades. Lead is too hard to come by in these parts. I’ll sit on it. If it’s as valuable to some people as you say someone will be willing to trade me 2-1 for range scrap or WW alloy. If not, I’ll just keep it and melt it when I exhaust all my other lead on hand.

Boolit Master
    I was trading soft lead 2 of 1 for #5 lead shot, I still would do that deal...not for the small stuff but for 5s. Great score, you will use, trade or sell that easy enough.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Not interested in any trades. Lead is too hard to come by in these parts. I’ll sit on it. If it’s as valuable to some people as you say someone will be willing to trade me 2-1 for range scrap or WW alloy. If not, I’ll just keep it and melt it when I exhaust all my other lead on hand.
    Several people on this thread have offered to trade you already. You're gonna get greedy waiting for 2 to 1. You first sit here and brag about melting down something that is more valuable to others, then talk about how you're gonna gouge for it. We call people like you, "Blue Falcons" in the Army.

Hope you enjoy all that graphite crud when you're rendering it into something useful, you've had good offers for something better for your purposes. Glad there aren't many like you on this site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast