RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Scope mounting screws--Is there an inch pound standard?

Boolit Master

Scope mounting screws--Is there an inch pound standard?

My son gifted me with a screwdriver that can measure inch pounds. I'm about to mount a Sightron 24x scope on my rifle and am wondering if there is a general standard on how tight the screws that mount the scope to the rings should be. These particular rings are split and have a total of 8 screws to tighten.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned
    I'm sure someone has the answer. Just a couple weeks ago a guy had to take his gun out of the stock to change a trigger, during a match! But when he put it back in, he had to take the time to get his torque thing and tighten the action screws.

While this may be all well and good, I use the Allen wrenches themselves. I tighten with the short end in my fingers, be it scope rings or action screws. When it becomes uncomfortable in my fingers, that's good enough. The scope screws are smaller, the wrench bits into my fingers more, so it's nit as much. Action screws usually 1/4-28 have a bigger allen wrench, so they get a bit more. I bet I'm very close to what others use.

I just mounted up a Vortex scope, and the papers said not to tighten more than 18-20 inch lbs. Even that much worries me. Seems like a lot. I tested myself, and without the torque driver I prolly would have quit around 12 lbs. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

The in/lbs varies with whoever makes the scope rings. My Vortex rings call for 25 in/lbs, the lightest I'm aware off. Leupold steel rings with one screw on each side calls for 65 in/lbs. This was quoted to be by Leupold. It makes a big difference depending on who's rings you are using. When I do Weaver I do 40 in/lbs. Call the ring maker & ask . It makes a great difference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    The in/lbs varies with whoever makes the scope rings. My Vortex rings call for 25 in/lbs, the lightest I'm aware off. Leupold steel rings with one screw on each side calls for 65 in/lbs. This was quoted to be by Leupold. It makes a big difference depending on who's rings you are using. When I do Weaver I do 40 in/lbs. Call the ring maker & ask . It makes a great difference.
    Dom--That makes sense! Too bad I don't know who made these rings. They are a two piece horizontal type with a total of 8 screws to be tightened. I suspect they are Weavers, but not sure. Any help id ing these?
    ?

Boolit Grand Master

Comprehensive list here

https://www.******optic.com/scope-ri...%20%20%2028%20

Proper Scope Ring Torque Specification [Reference Guide]
    Post author:Sverre B
    Post published:April 4, 2021
    Post categoryo It Yourself / Scope Mounts
    Reading time:5 mins read
    In order to maximize accuracy & hold zero for a riflescope, setting the proper torque values on scope rings and bases are paramount.

Getting an affordable torque wrench like the Wheeler FAT wrench is the first step to help you to mount stuff correctly.

For this reason alone, we have created this list of proper scope ring torque specs reference guide based on brands and models to help you get more accurate.

Table of Contents
    Lists Of Scope Ring Torque Specs
    Leupold Scope Ring Torque Specs
    Burris Scope Ring Torque
    Badger Ordnance
    Seekins
    Warne
    Sig Sauer
    Giessele
    Larue Tactical
    Vortex Scope Rings & Base Torque Specs
    Weaver
    Spurs
    American Defense
    Midwest Industries
    Importance Of Proper Torque Value
    What’s Scope Lapping And Why It’s Important
    Vertical Lapping VS. Horizontal Lapping
    Should Scope Rings Have A Slight Gap ?
    What Are the Best Torque Wrench For Scope Mounting?
    Is Loctite Required On Scope Ring Screws?
    How Does Mounting Screw Size Affect Torque Setting Value
    How To Avoid Over Torquing Screws On Scope Rings
    Wrap Up On Scope Ring Torque Specs
    Lists Of Scope Ring Torque Specs
    How many inch pounds do you apply to scope rings? Some have maximum torque range from 20 - 25 in-lb mostly for scope rings and 30 to 65 in-lb for scope mounts.

Here is a comprehensive list of scope ring torque reference you can follow:

Leupold Scope Ring Torque Specs
    Search
    Search

SCOPE RING RING SIZE TORQUE (In-Lb)
    LEUPOLD 34mm / base screws 6-48 20-22
    LEUPOLD 34mm / base screws 8-40 28
    LEUPOLD 30mm / base screws 6-48 22
    LEUPOLD 30mm / base screws 8-40 28
    Burris Scope Ring Torque
    Eliminator 34mm / base screws 6-48 60
    Rimfire & Airgun 34mm / base screws 8-40 20
    Singature / Zee Base 30mm & 1" 30
    Tikka T3 30mm & 1" 30
    XTR Signature Rings 30mm, 34mm & 1" 40 - 70
    Xtreme Tactical Rings 30mm, 34mm & 1" 40 - 70
    AR-P.E.P.R. Tactical Ring Crossbolt 30mm / base screws 8-40 65
    Badger Ordnance
    Search
    Search

BADGER ORDNANCE 30mm, 34mm T15 Torx 15 - 18 Each
    BADGER RING BASE Keeper Nut 1/2" 65 Each
    Seekins
    Search
    Search

SCOPE RING RING SIZE / SCREWS TORQUE (In-Lb)
    Seekins Ring Clamp 30mm, 34mm / T25 50 - 55
    Seekins Ring Clamp 1" / T25 50 - 55
    Seekins Ring Cap 1" T20 20
    Seekins Scope Base T15 15
    Warne
    Search
    Search

614M Tactical 30mm, 34mm / T15 50 - 55
    614M Tactical Base 1/2" Hex Nut 65
    721 Rimfire Ring 1", 30mm / T15 25
    721 Rimfire Base T15 25
    314L QD 30mm / T15 25
    314L Rings 30mm / T15 25
    Sig Sauer
    Search
    Search

ALPHA2, Mount 1/2" Nut 65
    ALPHA2 RING 30mm, 34mm / T15 25
    ALPHA3 Mount 1/2" Nut 65
    ALPHA3 RING 30mm, 34mm / T15 25
    ALPHA1 HUNTING RING 30mm, 34mm, 1" / T15 25
    ALPHA1 HUNTING CLAMP T15 25
    ALPHA1 Tactical CLAMP 1/2" Nut 65
    ALPHA1 Tactical Ring 30mm, 34mm / T15 25
    Giessele
    Search
    Search

GEISSELE SUPER PRECISION 30mm, 34mm 15 - 18
    GEISSELE BASE 1/2" Nut 65 - 70
    Larue Tactical
    Search
    Search

LT104 - LT745 30mm, 34mm, 35mm, 1" / T15 30
    QD Locking Nut 10-32 Hex Nut 35
    Vortex Scope Rings & Base Torque Specs
    Search
    Search

VORTEX PRECISION RING 30mm, 34mm, 1" 15-18
    VORTEX RING BASE Grade 8 Fasteners 45 - 50
    VORTEX PRO RING 30mm, 1" / T25 18
    VORTEX PRO BASE 30
    VORTEX HUNTER RING 15
    VORTEX HUNTER BASE 25 - 30
    VORTEX SPORT CANTILEVER 30mm 25 - 30
    VORTEX QR CANTILEVER 30mm 25 - 30
    Weaver
    Click here to see Weaver's official torque spec table for all of their products

Spurs
    Search
    Search

ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL 30mm, 34mm / T20 15 - 25
    MOUNT BASE T20 fasterner 45
    SCP RING 30mm, 34mm / T20 fasterner 25
    QDP RING 30mm, 34mm, 35mm, 36mm & 40mm / T20 fasterner 25
    SR SEPARATE RINGS 30mm, 34mm / T20 fasterner 25
    American Defense
    Search
    Search

RECON TITANIUM MOUNTS 30mm, 34mm 20 - 25
    AIMPOINT BROWE MOUNT 30mm / 9/64" Allen 20 - 25
    STEEL SCOPE RINGS 30mm 20 - 25
    Midwest Industries
    Search
    Search

QD MOUNT 30mm / 8-32 cap screws 20 - 30 (Scope Specific)
    NON-QD 30mm / 9/64" Allen 20 - 25
    STEEL SCOPE RINGS 30mm, 1" 20 - 25
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I had to go look at my papers after you posted this. The Tally rings I used suggested 17-20 inch pounds for the cap screws, and the Vortex scope instructions said do not exceed 18 inch pounds.

Instructions in my Wheeler Torque-driver specified torques for specific screw sizes of - #6@18-20 #8@28-30 #10@40-45 jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    M-Tecs--I'm unable to download the link you sent. I believe my rings are Weaver, split ring style. Could you look that one up and tell me what Weaver recommends? Thanks--Shuz

Boolit Mold
    And don't forget to put Locktite 271/290 on the threads!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    M-Tecs--I'm unable to download the link you sent. I believe my rings are Weaver, split ring style. Could you look that one up and tell me what Weaver recommends? Thanks--Shuz
    https://www.weaveroptics.com/weavero...030%20in%20lbs
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    M-Tecs-- I gotter done! Thanks a lot!
    And thanks to all who contributed to this thread! Prolly first time in my 80 years on this earth that I ever tightened scope rings and bases properly!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    My son gifted me with a screwdriver that can measure inch pounds. I'm about to mount a Sightron 24x scope on my rifle and am wondering if there is a general standard on how tight the screws that mount the scope to the rings should be. These particular rings are split and have a total of 8 screws to tighten.
    A copy of Machinery's Handbook is one good source for such info. An average strong man with an standard screwdriver can easily hit 35 inch-pounds of torque.

Here's what looks like a good source, too: https://www.fastenal.com/content/mer...ce%20Guide.pdf It has specifications for ferrous and non-ferrous Imperial and metric screws in about every size your average guy would need to be able to torque down.

HTH!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought one of the Wheeler FAT wrenches in a box of stuff at an auction. It is certainly eye opening at just how little tightening it takes to make 20 inch pounds.

Going by the common tighten with the small end of the Allen Key, I have been way over tightening these small screws for decades.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The fastener industry has a baseline for almost all threaded fasteners. It is found in engineering handbooks, NASA publications and so on. The proper torque on smaller screws is not necessarily intuitive the way it might be for lug nuts on your car.

Boolit Master
    I may be too late with this, but inch-pounds = foot-pounds x 12. If you have the torque specs in foot-pounds, you can get inch-pounds.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    I'm sure someone has the answer. Just a couple weeks ago a guy had to take his gun out of the stock to change a trigger, during a match! But when he put it back in, he had to take the time to get his torque thing and tighten the action screws.

While this may be all well and good, I use the Allen wrenches themselves. I tighten with the short end in my fingers, be it scope rings or action screws. When it becomes uncomfortable in my fingers, that's good enough. The scope screws are smaller, the wrench bits into my fingers more, so it's nit as much. Action screws usually 1/4-28 have a bigger allen wrench, so they get a bit more. I bet I'm very close to what others use.
    I am the outlier as far as action screws goes. If the gun is pillar bedded and the action is bedded I tighten the 1/4-28 screw down like a 1/4-28 screw would normally be tightened. I use the long end of the allen wrench and tighten the screws. My 22-250AI with a shilen barrel will shoot in the .2's for 5 shot groups done that way. My 6-284 shoots well under .5 for 5 shots that way too.

So I am tightening them WAY tighter than the "specified torque" I am sure.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player