RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: caliber question

I match the gun and cartridge for the intended task they will be used for, not my own comfort level or ability.

With your limitations, I'd be looking at a 12 ga. pump or maybe a .44Mag, or .45Colt in a lever action carbine.

All I know about bears is from watching them on National Geographic TV shows.
    But if I was going to shoot one with a .357, I'd want the biggest, badest load that wouldn't blow the gun apart to do it with.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This may be a Grizzly, but it was shot with a 12 gauge and just shook it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Z5oMWuIU
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Black bear are not a T-Rex. Nor are they typically agressive until significant lines are crossed. If the warning shot doesn't do it, a heavy bullet out of a .357 with a largish meplat should be plenty.

One option for mitigating recoil is to look for heavier guns. The Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686 with the full-length underlug are one set of options; the .357 in a .44 frame option of the Ruger Redhawk, or S&W 27/28/627 is another.

All that said, put me in the camp of the 12 gauge slug.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    A Ruger Blackhawk .41 or .44 magnum 7 1/2 “ barrel single action, with their Bisley grip frame would be good for your hands. The comfort of the Bisley grip is one of the world’s best kept secrets, IMHO.
    I’ll second a single action, though not necessarily the Bisley.

An SA rolls in your hand, vs a DA grip that transmits way more of the recoil energy into your wrist and hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post

It doesn’t say what his load was.

I’m no bear expert, in fact I’ve never seen one outside a zoo. But based on my experiences with horses & cattle, challenging a mama bear with her cubs nearby was not a smart move.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    It doesn’t say what his load was.

I’m no bear expert, in fact I’ve never seen one outside a zoo. But based on my experiences with horses & cattle, challenging a mama bear with her cubs nearby was not a smart move.
    That be the reason baby cubs are FEARLESS until they smell a MALE BEAR

Pachmayr or Hogue grips make huge difference in felt recoil. I have them on all my S&Ws except the .22.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post

I'd say it's a good example of birdshot is for birds. Warning shots are stupid, and not aiming to stop the threat is even more stupid.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

It is a also an example of a idiot. I watched the video and anybody who charges a bear who has cubs with her is begging for a mauling. What was that guy thinking, or was he thinking at all. If he was trying to protect the dog, the dog had a better chance in that situation than the guy did. Once he charged and forced her into a counter charge, that short barrel birdshot gun had little chance of breaking her charge. She was defending her cubs and come Hell or high water, she was going to continue her attack until she decided the threat was removed. If you noticed, she took two hits from that gun and then got back up and continued her defense of her cubs. She may have died later from the effects of those shots (internal bleeding?) but that was not going to help the guy at that moment. He was very lucky and I hope he learned a good lesson. As was said in a famous movie, don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Boolit Buddy
    I would want penetration and bone breaking ability. If not a 44 Mag a 45 Colt would be second choice. Both of them second choice to a 12 gauge with slugs.

Boolit Master
    I hunt black bear. Because of a bad back, I hunt from a ground blind. A SBH is my backup, the prime firearm is a Marlin 45-70 and the last 2 cartridges from the magazine are Buffalo Bore. Having traveled there, I know the "Alaska load" is a 12 ga shotgun with an extended magazine. The shell in the chamber is what I would use on pheasants or ducks, all others are 1 oz or heavier slugs. No pistol grip, a shoulder stock provides much better control. This tidbit of knowledge came from a fishing guide who grew up on Kodiak Island.

My S&W 686 357mag with an 8" barrel, has hardly any kick with any load; let alone my hot 180gr loads, which will do the trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12