Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder substitute

Boolit Master
    can T-777, be used in flint lock as a main charge? and will a pan of 4-FG. make it happen? in other words will it work straight up as the only powder charge, no 10 GRS. of black powder under / behind the T-777?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    can T-777, be used in flint lock as a main charge? and will a pan of 4-FG. make it happen? in other words will it work straight up as the only powder charge, no 10 GRS. of black powder under / behind the T-777?
    No, it would need a small BP booster charge to be reliable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have always used Goex, never liked fake powder. I talked to my local guy, he said that BP is sometimes hard to find. That being the case what is the best substitute powder for a ML rifle ? I already know I ain't going to like it, probably don't smell right. Just don't want dive into making my own.

Dave
    beemer,

What are you shooting a flintlock or caplock? ONCE we know the question, we may have a good answer. Be Well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    rowdha, thank you for the reply. how much of a booster charge is needed to make it happen / fire off the T-777 main charge? toot.

Boolit Master
    rowdha, I forgot to ask , the booster garage, what granulation of black would I use? 4F, 3F or 2F, ? thanks again, toot.

Boolit Grand Master

5 or 10 gns. Whatever granulation you want or would normally use in it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    ^
    This. Doesn’t need much, 5-10 grns should be good, and any BP granulation would work. Just reduce your T7 charge by the amount of BP you used. Do post back your experiences when you try.

Boolit Master
    mooman, thank you sir for the reply. toot.

Boolit Master
    rodwha, thank you for the reply to my question. I am going to try it out today. will let you & mooman76, how I make out. toot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    beemer,

What are you shooting a flintlock or caplock? ONCE we know the question, we may have a good answer. Be Well.

Adam
    I have caplocks and a flintlock, a half stock caplock is currently on the work bench with another flintlock not far behind. I figured I would need BP kicker for the flintlock.

Excuse my ignorance, but if you have access to real black powder why use it as a kicker instead of the full charge? Is it that scarce in your area?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    yes, it is non existent!

Boolit Master
    well I got out and tried it. it went well out of 15 shots I only had to reprime once. with a limited amount of BP, this is the way to go. T-777 is very clean burning. clean up is quick. toot.

Boolit Master
    well I got out and tried it. it went well out of 15 shots I only had to reprime once. with a limited amount of BP, this is the way to go. T-777 is very clean burning. clean up is quick. toot.
    Thanks for posting your results!

If you had access the plenty of BP would you still do it? I’ve used a lot of T7 but not through my muzzleloader. I don’t even need lubed wads when shooting ball through my revolver! I still buy and use it a little but Olde Eynsford gives me the same results and is cheaper, and the smoke and smell is a little better.

Boolit Grand Master

yes, it is non existent!
    In another thread you said you went to a skirmish, presumably one in Chaplin, CT. There is a Goex dealer only 35 miles away in North Stonington, CT.

You can have it shipped right to your door, have it shipped to your event, or drive 35 extra miles to the distributer. It is not non-existent. I only say this because the thought of having to use a booster charge sounds horrible. I'd give up muzzleloading if I had to do that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I've been fortunate to be able to buy BP locally, although it's expensive. When I get low, I'll go mail order, saves me about 40%. As far as a substitute, the only one I would ever use again is Triple 7. None of the other subs are as clean burning or have the shelf life of T7.
    Technically Blackhorn 209 is as clean (actually seems cleaner), and has as good a shelf life as 777, but BH209 doesn't work in anything besides an inline rifle with 209 primer ignition either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Technically Blackhorn 209 is as clean (actually seems cleaner), and has as good a shelf life as 777, but BH209 doesn't work in anything besides an inline rifle with 209 primer ignition either.
    It does with a Mag spark 209 conversion ,use it on 6-7 sidelocks but you probably knew that/Ed

Boolit Master
    yes I went to CHAPLIN, CT. where is a BP, dealer in NORTH STONINGTON? it is 7 miles from my house. what is his address and what is the name of his business? the last place to have it close by was FOSTER BEAR ARMS, in FOSTER, RI. and he had a fire and never got his BP, license back.

Boolit Grand Master

This is according to the Goex Dealer Locator.

M&B Sports
    647 Lantern Hill
    North Stonington, CT 06359-1222

860-536-6640

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    It does with a Mag spark 209 conversion ,use it on 6-7 sidelocks but you probably knew that/Ed
    I've heard mixed reviews on the mag spark with BH209. I never tried it myself, but I tried it in my Knight TK2000 (inline 12 gauge) and the 2nd or 3rd shot was a blooper. Even the primer you use matters. I'm sure it can work in a sidelock under good conditions, but BH209 is already a powder on the razors edge of not burning unless you use the strongest 209 primers they make. Even in the inline market, when BH 209 first came out people made conversion breech plugs to work with it. I'm glad you have luck with it, but I can't recommend BH 209 for anything besides an inline rifle of 45 to 54 caliber, and with the CCI 209M or Federal 209A primers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast