RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Lyman 358430 Heavy Bullet 38's

Today's companions "out on the town" for Mothers' Day:

Boolit Grand Master
    A nice brace of 38 Terriers you have there!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

They're fun to "stack" and fire simultaneously when up close to a target. Double trouble

Love Life
    Check this guy out.

Boolit Grand Master
    LL, that looks like a commercial variant from the barrel length and the grip conformation. Is the action single-action-capable? My service W-E is DAO, and the hammer is spurless. NICE EXAMPLE.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Love Life
    It is single action capable. it has the Star of David on the right side. Serial number with a B prefix puts it at 1968-1970.

Going from memory here, but I believe all Webleys retained the hammer spur and SA/DA function. The Enfield (government arsenal) went from an initial version with hammer, SA/DA, to a subsequent standard of DAO and spurless hammer.

Perhaps it's true that the Armor branch pushed for the spurless hammer, so as not to get hung up within the tight confines of armored vehicles. That's what all the books say, anyway. I'm no expert on web gear, but the pattern 37 (?) webbing holster completely covers the hammer, so I would think that sufficient.

It has long struck me that the DAO Enfield was designed in close conformity to the pistol handling techniques advocated and taught by Fairbairn and Sykes in prewar Shanghai and wartime Britain. See "Shooting to Live with the One-Hand Gun." A natural-pointing weapon usable only in DA for close-combat point shooting, light & handy, packing only as much punch as the average conscript could handle. F & S, if asked to design a general service revolver for British troops, might very well have laid out a concept that looked much like the eventual Enfield. The sources I've encountered, however, make no mention of F&S having anything to do with the Enfield design, which was credited to Capt. William Boys (also of anti-tank rifle fame), who bootlegged Webley's commercial design.

I wonder if Boys drew guidance, inspiration or ideas from F&S during the 1920's and -30's?

Boolit Grand Master
    You could be correct, Dana--I haven't read Fairbairn & Sykes, nor am I conversant on the adoption of the Webley-Enfield by the Empire's using services. I read from an unrecalled source that the 38/200 bullet was deemed "roughly equivalent" to the striking power of the WWI-vintage 45 caliber revolver which ran a 265 grain .455" at a 650-675 FPS clip. My preference personally would be to avoid either bullet's effect, but I'm funny that way. As stated above, those 200 grain 38 slugs at 700 FPS put a THWOCK on steel or animated targets not present when the #358477s connect from the Police Positive at the same speed. SOMETHING is occurring with that heftier bullet. I wouldn't recommend it for the deer woods as a first choice, but it beats hell outta throwing rocks.

Love Life
    You mean you don't want to stand down range and catch the boolits with your hand?

Boolit Grand Master
    Or with a fielder's glove. I'm all about recycling bullet metal, but not to THAT degree.

Love Life
    Don't be a stick in the mud. Everybody knows you can catch boolits from the 38 S&W, 32 S&W long, and possibly the .455 Eley.

*********DISCLAIMER********
    I AM SERIOUSLY JUST FUNNIN' ABOUT THE WHOLE CATCHING BOOLITS THING. IF YOU ACTUALLY DO TRY TO CATCH BOOLITS, THE YOU WILL END UP WITH A HOLE IN YOUR HAND AT A MINIMUM AND POSSIBLY DIE AT THE EXTREME. DO NOT TRY TO CATCH BOOLITS WITH YOUR HAND!!
    *********DISCLAIMER********

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope your disclaimer didn't spoil too many peoples' morning plans, LL. Ya never know.......

Love Life
    I had to add the disclaimer. With today's education system I can see somebody reading the previous post and having their buddy go try and catch boolits.

Yeah, as a budding genius in 9th grade P.E. I tried to use my foot to stop a bowling ball. Seemed easy enough to kinda catch it from the top with enough pressure to stop it, because it was moving SO SLOOOOWWWW. Suffice to say that "slow" described my cognitive processes more than it did the momentum of the bowling ball, or the alacrity with which I hopped away like the proverbial one-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest. Was *very* tough to pull off the "I really meant to do that" act.

You won't be surprised to learn that I was not a physics major in college. I wisely (?) stuck to History and German, and was mollified somewhat to later read of a Civil War soldier who had tried to stop a slow-rolling cannonball with his foot. You probably can guess how that worked out for him.

Revolvers were issued to Officers and the Military Police in the Canadian Army during WW1 and 11. I suspect this would be true with the other Dominion armies and the Brits.

The above shows David Currie winning a VC. He is holding a 38 Webley or an Inglis, having just negotiated the surrender of a column of German troops. He had at the time approx. 17 infantry left at his disposal and my uncles platoon of Sherman tanks. The German colonel surrendered his column of troops not knowing exactly what he was up against. Uncle Newrt, then a Captain, said after the battle they lined us all up, the first guy, Currie, got a VC. By the time they got to me all they had was a Bronze Star. I have read his citation and he may have down played what went on at Falaise in the summer of 1944. The photo is likely the only photo of a serviceman actually winning a VC.

The photo Sargent in the foreground appears to have either an Inglis or Webley on his hip/

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456